PDA

View Full Version : Talk about LONGEVITY!. . .

BumbleBeeDave
12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Interesting photos form the AP wire. I do believe this guy has been riding even longer than Sandy! In any event, a riding career to be proud of!

Enjoy!

BBDave

PS . . . . Say, isn't that Keno there on the left? Boy, that track riding really takes a toll! ;)

Russell Allen, left, and John Sinibaldi, center, see off bicyclists during the Ride with The Legend bicycle ride in St. Petersburg, Fla., on Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005. The two men were cyclists during the 1932 Olympics and were reunited for Sunday's ride which is Sinibaldi's last. Until recently, Sinibaldi, 92, rode 25 miles a day but has not ridden as much lately due to declining health. More than 350 bicyclists participated in the ride which followed a 20-mile route through St. Petersburg. (AP Photo/St. Petersburg Times, James Borchuck) ** MAGS OUT NO SALES **

BumbleBeeDave
12-20-2005, 10:17 AM
. . . that moved on the wire.

John Sinibaldi, 92, right, gets a hug from Lisa Pesta, 43, before the 'Ride with The Legend' bike ride Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005, in St. Petersburg, Fla. Sinibaldi has been a world class cyclist for over 75-years, competing in the 1932 and 1936 Olympics and is a former holder of the national record for 100 kilometers, a mark that stood for over 50 years. Until recently, John rode 25 miles per day through St. Petersburg and members of his bicycle club wanted to recognize him due to his declining health. Over 350 riders attended the 'Ride with The Legend.' (AP Photo/James Borchuck, St. Petersburg Times)

CalfeeFly
12-20-2005, 10:40 AM
The above photo explains how he has not only lived long but stayed so young. Those Italian lovers...Italian Stallions... :D

d_douglas
12-20-2005, 10:57 AM
There's a guy who is about 80-85 years old and , without fail, he is out riding his his every day. He has a little collection of bikes (always new and of modest quality - no Serottas here) and cruises nice and slow past our house. Its great!

There is a bike shop near our house called 'Ace Cycles', named for its owner, who also competed in the Olympics in the 40's I believe. He rides too, but not that often since he crashed and broke a few ribs a few years ago. He's tough. I believe he and this guy that rides by our house are buddies.

Of note, his shop contains several vintage (60's?) Cinelli road and track bikes that are NOS. I asked if he would sell them and said likely 'no', but might if the right price comes along. I don't believe they have even had tires mounted on them. They are stored high up on a dsiplay wall, so I have never had a close look, but they are pretty cool.

SPOKE
12-20-2005, 11:14 AM
my kind of hero's. i can only hope that i'll be living at that age much less riding. but i intend to ride as long as i can balance on the bike.

Ray
12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
my kind of hero's. i can only hope that i'll be living at that age much less riding. but i intend to ride as long as i can balance on the bike.
I hope the same thing, although it gives me pause that most of the folks I run into like this were competitive riders at a fairly high level in their youth. I've done a number of week long tours in the summer and hung out a bit with the same old guy on two of them. Once on a ride across Pennsylvania in '98 and once on a finger lakes ride in '02. He was 70 on the first one and 74 on the second and there was a notable decline in his riding in that time (we rode together comfortably in '98 but I had to slow way down for him in '02), but he still did the distances and handled a number of very tough climbs. He'd been a high level time trial rider in England in his youth and had done the team RAAM in the mid-'90s.

I don't see too many really old guys riding who were just average middle aged recreational riders, so I don't know if I'll be able to keep it together that long. But like Spoke said, as long as I can move forward well enough to stay upright, I'll be out there.

-Ray

Ozz
12-20-2005, 11:55 AM
"Bicycling" ran an article on Sinibaldi about a year ago...he sounded like quite a character and a tough nut.

d_douglas
12-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I must say, the two guys I mentioned earlier are doubled over with arthritis. Does that mean we'll be hobbling like that? I don't think there's a correlation, since I spend a few hours a week on a bike and they spent a few hours per day on their bike for many years.

My problem is that I will be hunched over from this damned computer! Gone are the days of physical labour, it seems. My mother-in-law has a huge pile of wood to chop and insists that I don't do it because its too hard on me. I practically have to sneak out there to split wood just to get that feeling of my muscles working from labour, let alone recreational exercise like cycling.

I guess that's why I like commuting on my bike - you wrap a physical activity into a practical need (getting somewhere!)

Tom
12-21-2005, 06:11 AM
There's an old guy in my neighborhood I see going by to get the paper practically every day and then he goes out for a ride later. He cruises along maybe 12-15 miles an hour for 20 or 30 miles. I'm shooting for that when I'm in my nineties.

Elefantino
12-21-2005, 07:00 AM
I'd have been more impressed if his right hand was lower. And squeezing. :no:

ClutchCargo
12-21-2005, 07:57 AM
I'd have been more impressed if his right hand was lower. And squeezing. :no:

Not that there's anything wrong with that ! ;)