PDA

View Full Version : Campy brake pads v. alternatives

roadie7
07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Since Campy break pads are expensive ($58.00) for a packet of four, are there reliable alternatives that are cheaper. I understand that Campy equipment may be the best choice but are there options?

Thanks.

Joachim
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Swiss Stop black. I use it on all my Campy brakes.

christian
07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
What Joachim said.

AngryScientist
07-19-2013, 01:53 PM
kool stop or swiss stop both make replacement pads, and i think they are both superior to the campy oem pads.

FlashUNC
07-19-2013, 01:59 PM
I use Jagwire pads with no problems.

donevwil
07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Kool Stop Salmon "Campi Super Record" inserts for newer skeleton era brakes stop wonderfully, far better than stock. I'd probably go with the dual compound pads if max power isn't a primary goal (still better than stock) because full salmon pads tend to hang on to road grit and eat rims in the wet. Have not used Swiss Stop pads, but they have a very good rep as well.

Ahneida Ride
07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Kool stop is far superior to OEM

djdj
07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
I've also found that some of the swisstop pads (yellow and green) slide in and out of the pad holders much easier than the Campag pads, which makes switching between carbon and aluminum wheels easier. Not as true for the new swisstop BXP pads.

oldpotatoe
07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
I use Jagwire pads with no problems.

Jagwire or Koolstop, both work well.

OtayBW
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Kool stop (red). Work great.

Ahneida Ride
07-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Kool stop (red). Work great.

AMEN !

My Campy OEM pads put crud all over my rims.

maunahaole
07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
+1 on Koolstop red pads.

jemoryl
07-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Kool Stop are good, but seem surprisingly hard to find (in Campy version) when I want them. BTW, just recently bought the set of 4 genuine Campy pads for about $20 from Ribble.

druptight
10-30-2014, 01:45 PM
OLD THREAD BUMP ALERT!!!!

Can anyone translate this:

"Our New Campi Super Record 2011 replacement insert pad is designed to fit the New Campi Skeleton brake holders and also retrofits Campi holders made in the year 2000 to date."

From here: http://www.koolstop.com/english/campi2011.html

I have older pre-skeleton record carbon brakes with OEM holders. Does "retrofits" mean these will plug and play with my non-skeleton holders? Or does this mean I'll need to retrofit them by modding them?

donevwil
10-30-2014, 02:36 PM

"Our New Campi Super Record 2011 replacement insert pad is designed to fit the New Campi Skeleton brake holders and also retrofits Campi holders made in the year 2000 to date."

I have older pre-skeleton record carbon brakes with OEM holders. Does "retrofits" mean these will plug and play with my non-skeleton holders? Or does this mean I'll need to retrofit them by modding them?

Skeleton era brakes have a spring retainer thingy that requires a slot in the backside of the pad. Everything else on the pad is the same and works fine on post 2001 brakes.

oldpotatoe
10-30-2014, 02:51 PM

New, latest pads with the divot in the back for holders with clip will fit fine into older holders w/o the wee clip.

druptight
10-31-2014, 03:34 AM
Skeleton era brakes have a spring retainer thingy that requires a slot in the backside of the pad. Everything else on the pad is the same and works fine on post 2001 brakes.

Thank you both!

scpknees
11-02-2014, 07:03 PM
KOOL STOP Salmon work great for me.

Wakatel_Luum
11-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Kool Stop salmon pads are the most disappointing pads I've ever bought...BBB pads are even better than salmons...

KidWok
11-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Interesting...have never heard anyone with a poor opinion of salmon pads before. Why don't you like them?

I find the oem campagnolo pads to be disappointing as well. I just got a set of exalith rims and plan on buzz sawing through all my black campy pads.

Tai

Kool Stop salmon pads are the most disappointing pads I've ever bought...BBB pads are even better than salmons...

Wakatel_Luum
11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I know it is odd as I hear so many good reports...

I used mine in Chorus skeleton brakes on new Mavic Open Pro's and the just don't seem to grab at all...I find them scary on descents.

Maybe I need to rub the pads with some sand paper or something?

teleguy57
11-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I know it is odd as I hear so many good reports...

I used mine in Chorus skeleton brakes on new Mavic Open Pro's and the just don't seem to grab at all...I find them scary on descents.

Maybe I need to rub the pads with some sand paper or something?

I found that I had to go with a softer pad to get better grip on my Nemesis rims since the OEM Campy pads didn't seem to have much friction on the anodized sidewalls. I'm thinking you might have the same issue. Currently use Koolstop Salmon on those rims -- very open to something that would bite even a bit more.