PDA

View Full Version : Bike fees - Intl / Domestic flights

jmikeq
07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Im flying Air China with my bike to the Philippines next month - spoke to a cust rep on the phone and they said, sports equipment (bike case) is free if the bike case will be one of your allowed check-in luggage.

Aside from http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm
Chime in on your recent experience flying with your bike - bike fees, airlines, tips and tricks etc.

I figured it would also be helpful for other people travelling with their bike in the future.

echelon_john
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Rule #1: It's not a bike. It's a trade show display.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

Gsinill
07-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Why is that?
Might be important for me in the near future as well...

jmikeq
07-19-2013, 12:26 PM

I'm guessing that could only work for bikes in a cardboard bike box?

echelon_john
07-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Duplicate..sorry.

echelon_john
07-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Case, cardboard box, it doesn't matter. (Most actual trade show booths/displays have carrying cases)

Most airlines, whether flying domestic or international, have surcharges that ONLY apply to bikes, even if they fit in a box/case that is within the limits designated by the airline. No such surcharge on trade show displays. This only matters at the check-in counter; don't be silly and wear all your bike pro team gear there.

Once you land, if you need to clear customs or anything, perfectly fine to tell 'em it's a bike in the box.

Likes2ridefar
07-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Im flying Air China with my bike to the Philippines next month - spoke to a cust rep on the phone and they said, sports equipment (bike case) is free if the bike case will be one of your allowed check-in luggage.

Aside from http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm
Chime in on your recent experience flying with your bike - bike fees, airlines, tips and tricks etc.

I figured it would also be helpful for other people travelling with their bike in the future.

I flew multiple times for free with them. I've never been charged by an Asian airline besides Air Asia, but they are very up front about their charges and not much $ as long as you pay attention to weight. I've been slammed going to Asia on american operated airlines though so I generally avoid them. Delta charged me, I think, 150 to 200 each way to go from JFK to Bangkok.

cathay pacific, always free
EVA, always free
and the various chinese run, all free

Likes2ridefar
07-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I tried avoiding fees once with an airline in Hong Kong going to the US, forget which it was, but I told them it was not a bike like I do on occasion, but "bike parts" and that blew it. they had a charge for "bicycle" but not bike parts, especially laden with water bottles, gifts, among other things. They upgraded me to oversized luggage and I got hit with a hefty fee that was even more than the bicycle fee. I then tried to argue it was a bike but they said I had to remove everything besides the bike so that wasn't really an option...

donevwil
07-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Pack the bike assuming TSA will not put as much effort or attention as you repacking after they inspect it. Don't toss anything in loose, bag or tie everything to something else. If something can fall out (pair of gloves for example) it may get lost. Had one TSA experience where they didn't even latch the box closed, fortunately I'd added a Cinch strap around the box which they did re-cinch.

In terms of cost if you don't have a bunch of miles every airline is different, Foreign carriers typically being cheaper than domestic.

jmikeq
07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I flew multiple times for free with them. I've never been charged by an Asian airline besides Air Asia, but they are very up front about their charges and not much $ as long as you pay attention to weight. I've been slammed going to Asia on american operated airlines though so I generally avoid them. Delta charged me, I think, 150 to 200 each way to go from JFK to Bangkok.

cathay pacific, always free
EVA, always free
and the various chinese run, all free

Good to know! Did you have your bike in a bike case?

Likes2ridefar
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Good to know! Did you have your bike in a bike case?

Primarily I use a pika packworks soft case. Never had a problem and really easy to pack.

I also use a coffin of a bike box called tri all 3 sports. it's great for carrying 4 wheels, and more and since it's a hard shell with a fork mount lock it packs really solid. Just a major hassle to move around and in some countries I've had difficulty finding a car large enough to take me from the airport.

A.Danger
07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
"mobility assistance device" works.

donevwil
07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
"mobility assistance device" works.

I did that once, it worked, felt guilty after, never did it again.

Charles M
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I just buy bike caddy boxes and ship them. It's both cheaper and far easier than lugging the bike around and shipbikes.com does a great job. It also avoids the TSA guys thrashing things packing and unpacking your bike.

pakora
07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
When they had free checked bags and cheaper domestic bike fees ($50), I believe it was on this forum that someone suggested saying it was "sporting equipment" so I gave that a whirl.

The agent nodded and only when she picked the bag (a Pika bag borrowed from a friend) off the scale and plopped it behind her did she look at me and say, "As in... a bicycle?"

Busted.

Coming back I didn't even get to the wicket, the agent pointing me to TSA saying, "You can take your bike to TSA directly and they'll bring it over to me once it's inspected."

(sigh).

Still, $100 to have my own bike for a week and get in over 100 miles plus have transportation town was pretty great.

shovelhd
07-19-2013, 03:17 PM

And when they lose or damage your trade show display, good luck getting a bike out of it.

dumbod
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
I just buy bike caddy boxes and ship them. It's both cheaper and far easier than lugging the bike around and shipbikes.com does a great job. It also avoids the TSA guys thrashing things packing and unpacking your bike.

Shipping is by far the best way to go but it only works domestically. The charges to ship overseas are very high.

S&S baby. Standard-sized case (no oversize charges) and it's exercise equipment if anybody asks which nobody ever has. The only drawback is that you need a masters degree in engineering to pack the box.

dumbod
07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
And when they lose or damage your trade show display, good luck getting a bike out of it.

You're screwed when they lose your bike whether you declare it as a bike or not. Read the small print. Airline liability for lost luggage is very limited. $400 sticks in my brain but it may be a little more than that. You're not going to get $10,000 for your lost Serotta whether or not you declared it to the ticket clerk.

shovelhd
07-19-2013, 03:28 PM
You're screwed when they lose your bike whether you declare it as a bike or not. Read the small print. Airline liability for lost luggage is very limited. $400 sticks in my brain but it may be a little more than that. You're not going to get $10,000 for your lost Serotta whether or not you declared it to the ticket clerk.

I didn't say you would. Baggage insurance is available.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2013, 07:30 AM

It's a wheelchair...what Lennard Zinn sometimes says.

jambee
07-21-2013, 04:03 AM
There are a few ways to get bikes, as bikes, on a plane without paying extra fees.
- I have flown with bike frames in a small frame box and wheels in a hand-cary padded bag which I took on the plane with me. When you check in the bike frame you just check it in. You make sure that the box is not bigger than what the airline allows (my frames are often 59-61CM and I am still ok on the size airlines allow). You take the wheels with you, by hand, through TSA security and when you get on the plane, you tell the staff that "you guys always put these with the jacket in business".

- S&S or Rtitchey BreakAway is a great way to deal. Sadly, my experience is that disk brakes or long steerer make it difficult to pack. If you're not riding huge frames, you should be just fine.

- Stick on ONE airline. Become their biggest fan and learn their rules. If you fly a lot and get status, they will let you get away with anything. I can recommend Lufthansa with all my heart. A Senator with lufthansa can take pretty much anything on a plane and in luggage. Two 32kg suitcases on the check in - sure. Two hand-pieces on the plane (one of which are two wheels!) sure, go ahead.

- Generally I avoid flying with U.S. based carriers. They are a greedy bunch.

- Flying inside of Europe - easyjet. You can pay some small fee for a bike and don't have to worry about it.

Hope this helps.

cp43
07-21-2013, 06:15 AM
My only full sized bike on a place experience is with Virgin America. $50 for a full sized bike box, as long as you stay under 50 pounds.

With my Bike Friday, I checked it in curbside with Southwest as a normal suitcase, free.

No issues with inspections putting things back incorrectly either time.

Chris

mccx
07-21-2013, 06:43 AM
I realize there are many places they don't fly and many times they won't be the cheapest option, but I've taken to flying Frontier whenever I have a bicycle (and many times without).

Frontier has a "bikes fly free" policy which means even a full-size bike box doesn't incur any extra fees, it just counts as one of your checked pieces. Not a bad airline either.

jmikeq
08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
So I just got back from my trip to the Philippines couple days ago... Good news! I didn't have to pay for my bike (trico case). I checked in early for my flights (4hrs before) just to avoid long lines and to catch the people behind the counter in a good mood. They asked what was in the case, told them its a sports equipment, bicycle.
Going through X-ray with TSA, I asked if I can watch them if they were going to open the case, just so I can guide them how to put it the bike back properly - they didn't open it.

On my way back to JFK, my bike case didn't show up! I wasn't too worried since a lot if people were missing their luggages.. The attendant said that some of the luggages didn't make it to the 2nd leg of the trip (Beijing - JFK), and it will come on the next flight the next day and they offered to ship it to my home.
Bike case came the next day, picked it up at the airport, and it didn't look like it was opened by TSA / Customs.

Happy to have my bike back with no damage!
:banana:

tiretrax
08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
I realize there are many places they don't fly and many times they won't be the cheapest option, but I've taken to flying Frontier whenever I have a bicycle (and many times without).

Frontier has a "bikes fly free" policy which means even a full-size bike box doesn't incur any extra fees, it just counts as one of your checked pieces. Not a bad airline either.

I may look at Frontier the next time I go to Denver. Southwest has been great, and the $50 fee is very reasonable for not having to undergo the indignity of riding a bike friday (I know people who own them love them, but I can't get beyond the kiddy-sized wheels). I plan to get a coupled bike in the next year, which will eliminate the extra fees and save me from having to say I have a trade show display, mobility assistance device, or sports equipment (which are all good suggestions). I think the liability limit is now $1500, by the way.

EricEstlund
08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
I've done some travel with a huge double bike case. I've always been very up front (ie-honest) that is was a bike box*, and have called in advance to make sure my ticket shows I will be traveling with the case. (*this includes traveling to shows where they are legitimately trade show supplies)

In most cases, travel is already expensive. If I am choosing to fly with a bike I factor the cost in to the total trip- it's usually pittance even at full pop compared to a week out. More often then not the person checking my bike charges me way under full pop. It's averaged out enough that I don't worry about it- an expensive leg usually gets cancelled out by a cheap leg.

When I travel for work or pleasure I have enough other things to worry about. It's worth a small premium to just hand them the box and not worry about it.

bargainguy
08-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I've traveled with my Bike Fridays extensively. Standard size suitcase and under the 50 lb. international weight limit.

If I'm asked at the check-in counter what's in the suitcase, I'll say "bicycle parts," because until it's assembled, that's exactly what it is. No deception, and most folks don't realize you can stick a bike in a suitcase.

Now some airlines get snitty at the mention of any sporting equipment whether oversize or not, so if I know I'm flying an airline with such rules, I'll default to Lenny's "wheelchair parts" idea.

Pete Mckeon
08-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Airlines all want fees for most things. In US IN VARIES FOR DOMESTIC FLIGHTS(south west is 50 each way and other airlines go as high as 300. i use fedex ground and ship to place i arrive/stay at. on Intl they use to count the bike as one of your two luggage. "Trade shows" worked for me years ago in Us.

Good luck:eek:

][/B]Case, cardboard box, it doesn't matter. (Most actual trade show booths/displays have carrying cases)

Most airlines, whether flying domestic or international, have surcharges that ONLY apply to bikes, even if they fit in a box/case that is within the limits designated by the airline. No such surcharge on trade show displays. This only matters at the check-in counter; don't be silly and wear all your bike pro team gear there.

Once you land, if you need to clear customs or anything, perfectly fine to tell 'em it's a bike in the box.

Scooper
08-23-2013, 01:06 PM
I've had great experiences with Southwest on domestic U.S. flights. My 61cm Waterford RS-22 fits in the Thule hard case and I'm charged a flat $50 each way. There's always a nice little note from TSA with the inspector's ID number and an 800 number to call if anything is missing or something got damaged as a result of the inspector leaving something unsecured in the case when repacking.

Southwest doesn't charge for up to two pieces of checked baggage as long as H + W + D is less than 62 inches and weight is less than 50 pounds, so I often just take my Brompton M6L folder in its hard case as checked baggage without any charge.