PDA

View Full Version : An article positing BMW drivers are worse than others when it comes to cyclists

moose8
07-19-2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a_fine_whine/2013/07/bmw_drivers_and_cyclists_the_war_between_the_luxur y_cars_and_bicycles.html

I have to say I have noticed the same thing in my commute.

AngryScientist
07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
what a completely worthless article.

:confused:

Terrifying research concludes that BMW owners are far more likely than typical drivers to endanger cyclists on the road.

Steve in SLO
07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Interesting theory. Perhaps two thirds of the cars on the road when he rides are BMWs and they are actually less likely to menace cyclists than other drivers.
If I were to do similar 'research', I would come to the conclusion that people in Buicks and four-wheel-drive trucks were the worst offenders.

MattTuck
07-19-2013, 09:07 AM
tesla's are the worst. They see us being more efficient than them and they use their silent electric motor to stalk us like a lion stalking a gazelle.

PQJ
07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
The worst by far are people talking or tapping on their phones. They are brand agnostic when it comes to their cars. As a cyclist and BMW driver, I take umbrage to the article. Author must be on dope.

christian
07-19-2013, 09:26 AM
My experience aligns with the author's. I like BMWs. I'm considering getting a 335d. But their drivers tend to seem to being arseholes more than most.

As I said in an earlier thread:

The only person who ever tried to force me off the road was a BMW 3-series driver. He had New York MD plates.

I assume that if I die from negligence, it'll be someone in a cushy imported SUV, but if I die from someone being an assh*le, 3:1 odds they're driving a 3-series.

Columbus SLX
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Guys like the author can generalize all day, but it doesn't add any light to the issue.

Also, none of his theories are actual theories (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory).

katematt
07-19-2013, 09:37 AM
I drive one, like it but the stigma is not me.

Oh and I am very nice to cyclists unless they surge in a paceline after my pull.

avalonracing
07-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Big Ford and Dodge Pick-ups and Jeeps gets my vote.

Although yesterday's 6" buzz by was from a from a conversion van with disabled plates. Nice. I then learned that I do not see disabilities when shouting curses.

Mark McM
07-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, we all know the difference between BMWs and porcupines ...

redir
07-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Haha funny article. I can't say I've ever noticed. I got pushed off the road by a Ford yesterday and it just so happened to be a cop car :rolleyes:

I will say this though. I have not ever noticed BMW drivers being jerks in particular and I know a few. I drive a Mercedes myself and would not have it any other way :p But advertising is a powerful thing and if BMW or any other company advertizes a car in a certain way then certain types of people will favor them.

Ralph
07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
My BMW story bears no resemblence to a scientific study, or has any broader meaning what so ever....but a few days ago a 7 series BMW driver, going a tad over the 45 MPH speed limit, yelled to me to get off the street and onto a trail running alongside the street. Seems I was using part of the lane he wanted to use. The trail along this street is so cut up with side roads, most cyclists don't like to use it.

I don't think this is any example of a BMW driver....but maybe an example of a jerk who happened to own a BMW. However....it's never happened to me from a Camry driver. Maybe a few drivers of cars like this do have an entitlement attitude. I fear small pick ups with wide lawn equipment trailers more. Especially when they are reading their messages while between jobs.

Ahneida Ride
07-19-2013, 10:36 AM
from 68 - 74 BMW was cool..

then they became popular ..... :no::no:

charliedid
07-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Depends where you live.

tch
07-19-2013, 10:46 AM
....the only time I felt like I was going to come to blows was with some a$$hole driving a 325 convertible on a country road. He not only buzzed my wife (who was slightly behind me), but then he pulled up next to me, yelled obscenities, and gave me the finger. I came very close to creating some major cosmetic damage to his car with my frame pump.

merlinmurph
07-19-2013, 11:03 AM
People see what they want to see.

If a nondescript Buick buzzes them, they won't even notice the make.
But if it's someone in a BMW, the driver is an ahole because he drives a BMW.

Generalizations are just that.

zap
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Pretty much.

I will say this, Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers are pretty cool. Never had one buzz me or my cycling mates. Statistically insignificant but hey.....the looks and the sound.

moose8
07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
People see what they want to see.

If a nondescript Buick buzzes them, they won't even notice the make.
But if it's someone in a BMW, the driver is an ahole because he drives a BMW.

I think this is true to a certain extent, but I also think there is truth to the article based strictly on my own experiences. Of course it's hardly a scientific study or anything. I have no inherent prejudice against BMWs, and think they are a ton of fun to drive the few times I've driven them, and I have very nice friends who drive them, but they are the only make of car with which I've had multiple repeat incidences of needlessly aggressive driving to the detriment of me on my bike. When outside of Boston, I have noticed similar driving from pickup trucks, but no particular make, just the style of vehicle. It may be a function of where I live that there are a lot of BMWs, but there are a lot of mercedes, porsches, volvos, even a tesla, and I really have never had the same type of issue more than once with any of those other fancy makes of car. I will also say that I have never actually had anything more than just a close call with BMW - I've never fallen off my bike or been forced off the road, I've just had them pass way too close and way too fast numerous times.

christian
07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
But if it's someone in a BMW, the driver is an ahole because he drives a BMW.Nah, but aholes seem to buy BMWs in greater concentration. And I think it's a fair generalization; I live in a wealthy part of the world - my rides are replete with Mercedes and BMWs, and they make up approximately the same percentage of cars on the road. I've never had an issue with a Mercedes driver and have had half-dozen in the last year with BMW drivers.

As for not remembering other cars, I think that's nonsense, frankly. The only car I've been hit by was a 1994 Camry LE, dark green. Pretty nondescript, but hey, I remember it...

sitzmark
07-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Suburban Boston and rural Maine/New England - not too many issues, but trucks, trucks, and more trucks (or vans) when I have. BMW wouldn't even come to mind if I was making my list.

Neighbors have euro coupes/sedans of various makes, I have one too as a play toy, but drive domestics daily.

Louis
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
I'd say that around here 75% of the vehicles (excluding the commercial stuff like landscaping outfits with extra-wide trailers) are either BMW/Audi/MB's, gargantuan SUV's, or a variety of big pick-up trucks. I'd say that the drivers are all equally dangerous to cyclists.

OldCrank
07-19-2013, 12:20 PM
<<< They have close shaves because, superb drivers that they are, they know they can squeeze by me with 4 inches to spare >>>

Now my experience (New England) on suburban roads actually has a little correlation, except it's the big moosy BMWs ('cross-overs'??), not sedans, and, yes, they are distracted with things more important than my miserable hide.
Oh yeah, same with Land/Range Rovers; mirror-to-shoulder thumps make me insane.
Kid in Toyota pickup (not subject to pesky stop-sign requirements) this morning though.

Now people, scientists (Pi is Exactly Three!!) (sorry), SLATE is a snarky bit of FREE internet entertainment. Don't hold them to the same requirements as medical researchers or quarkmonkeys. Keep this to a fun bitch session.

ofcounsel
07-19-2013, 12:45 PM
I think this story is totally true. I've been told many times, by many people, that I'm an asshole. I drive a BMW 335i. :)

russ46
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Speaking strictly in generalities mind you, and prefacing with saying I really don't have many rude encounters - I've checked my Rude Encounters journal and find there is a high percentage that involve private pickup trucks and NYers from dah city driving luxury vehicles.

spdcyclist
07-19-2013, 03:19 PM
...The only car I've been hit by was a 1994 Camry LE, dark green. Pretty nondescript, but hey, I remember it...

Like enough already... how many times do i have to apologize? Don't make me come out there with my BMW. :p

shovelhd
07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
This posit should be deposited in the trash heap.

Saxon
07-19-2013, 03:45 PM
As someone that spends most of his time on long freeway commutes for work, the top three horrible drivers that I see almost every day break down as follows:

1: White work pickup truck

2: Any full size pickup truck

3: BMW

Everything else is a distant fourth place.

vqdriver
07-19-2013, 03:50 PM
what a completely worthless article.

:confused:

until you realize.... he's right

http://img.pandawhale.com/47655-Selena-Gomez-whoa-gif--PandaWh-3xS0.gif

tch
07-19-2013, 04:02 PM
...I think you might consider the demographics of problematic cars.

Loud, oversize, pimped-out pickups often bought as showpieces by amped-up, testosterone-laden young males.

BMW's, seen as the "driver's car", often bought by materially-successful, self-assured, individualistic young and middle-aged males who have something to prove.

SUV's often bought by materially-successful, family-oriented (think soccer/baseball moms) females who are prone to distraction by texts, kids in the car, etc.

Correlation? Yup.

...of course there are others --
- the 1979 Chrysler Cordoba driven by the near-senile octagenarian once every two weeks.
- the small, nondescript family sedan driven by teen-age girls who are talking to their 4 friends and texting at the same time.

Saxon
07-19-2013, 04:06 PM
A little visual evidence :)

http://vimeo.com/64671273#

"In Beverly Hills, they do everything big. Mansions are big. The retail prices on Rodeo Drive -- huge. The Mercedes-Benz G Class SUVs -- massive.

So it's no wonder then, when road rage happens in the gilded city, it can be off the Richter scale:

Cops say a bicyclist and a BMW driver got into it earlier this month resulting in the motorist having a fist sandwich courtesy of said rider.

But that wasn't the end of the story.

Enraged, the driver allegedly followed the two-wheeler into an alley in the 9000 block of Wilshire Boulevard and then "intentionally rammed the bicyclist with his vehicle pinning him to a metal rolling trash bin," according to a Beverly Hills Police Department statement.

The bicyclist was treated and released, Lt. Lincoln Hoshino told us.

The driver took off, and now detectives want to have a word with him. It all happened April 3, but now cops have released surveillance video (below) of the BMW in question hoping the public will help track the suspect down.

The car is described as a white 2008 BMW 328i sedan, possibly with front-end damage. The man behind the wheel appeared to be in his mid-30s and had dark hair, dark eyes and a thin build, cops said.

Hoshino calls him more than a hit-and-run suspect. He's wanted for attempted murder, the lieutenant told us.

The bicyclist appears to be off the hook for punching the guy, but Hoshino said that would be up to the District Attorney's office.

Know who the BMW driver might be? Call 310-285-2125"

earlfoss
07-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah BMW drivers are the worst there is no other group of more annoying people on the road they are the cause of my unhappiness and hurt fee fees. Give me a break.

tch
07-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Hoshino calls him more than a hit-and-run suspect. He's wanted for attempted murder, the lieutenant told us."

Pretty astounding video! I'd be happy to convict regardless of what preceded this. This is a cold-blooded attempt to kill or seriously maim someone!

crownjewelwl
07-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Nothing worse than a dude that rides a custom ti bike in rapha kit and drives a bimmer...

cinema
07-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Nothing worse than a dude that rides a custom ti bike in rapha kit and drives a bimmer...

i want to 'like' this comment 100x.

Louis
07-19-2013, 06:02 PM
^^^ You guys are just jealous.

His parents put him through medical / law /business school fair and square. He deserves everything he can afford.

Vientomas
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpgbEZlZI8

djg
07-19-2013, 06:44 PM
My experience aligns with the author's. I like BMWs. I'm considering getting a 335d. But their drivers tend to seem to being arseholes more than most.

As I said in an earlier thread:

O.k. I'm not saying I'm not a jerk, but I'm pretty darn certain that I don't use my BMW to buzz cyclists, much less hit them.

crownjewelwl
07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
i want to 'like' this comment 100x.

I guess you didn't get the joke

christian
07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
O.k. I'm not saying I'm not a jerk, but I'm pretty darn certain that I don't use my BMW to buzz cyclists, much less hit them.
No, obviously. I've had a BMW of both the lean-the-wrong-way-corners-type and the other type. My dad has had i dont know h ow many. Crownjewelwl has one, Angry Scientist has one, etc. etc. and obviously none of those people buzz cyclists.

But there is undoubtedly a subset of drivers who do behave aggressively toward cyclists on the roads, and the proportion of those drivers who choose BMWs appears, anecdotally, greater than the proportion of all drivers who choose BMWs, when compared to other car brands.

In other words, it may be a generalization, but it aligns with many people's experience. Doesn't implicate all BMW drivers. Who knows, maybe John Holmes drives a yellow Gallardo?

Ardan MacNessa
07-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm a BMW owner and I love bicycles.

CDM
07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Bought a used m3 recently. The dealer was shakey and it took most of the day to work everything out with the trade etc. Finally get on the road and a lincoln cuts me off as I was about to get through a backed up intersection, long island city new york rush hour on a friday. I layed on the horn, turned down Jimmy Cliff on the harmon cardon and let the expletives fly...only to realise too late that if was a Funeral Procession! Woops!

Louis
07-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Bought a used m3 recently. The dealer was shakey and it took most of the day to work everything out with the trade etc. Finally get on the road and a lincoln cuts me off as I was about to get through a backed up intersection, long island city new york rush hour on a friday. I layed on the horn, turned down Jimmy Cliff on the harmon cardon and let the expletives fly...only to realise too late that if was a Funeral Procession! Woops!

Please tell us that before that you were driving a Civic, and had you been in that fine vehicle you would never ever have behaved in such a reprehensible manner, but in the M3 the feeling that you were entitled to the road was just too powerful to resist. ;)

CDM
07-19-2013, 08:48 PM
The BMW definately made me do it!

ptourkin
07-19-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm noticing a lot more db drivers in Audis now.

CDM
07-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm noticing a lot more db drivers in Audis now.

Me too!

Louis
07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Actually, I'm noticing a lot more Audis. I don't know if the drivers are any worse than average, but I bet there are more of that brand on the road.

EA120711
07-19-2013, 09:28 PM
A little visual evidence :)

http://vimeo.com/64671273#

"In Beverly Hills, they do everything big. Mansions are big. The retail prices on Rodeo Drive -- huge. The Mercedes-Benz G Class SUVs -- massive.

So it's no wonder then, when road rage happens in the gilded city, it can be off the Richter scale:

Cops say a bicyclist and a BMW driver got into it earlier this month resulting in the motorist having a fist sandwich courtesy of said rider.

But that wasn't the end of the story.

Enraged, the driver allegedly followed the two-wheeler into an alley in the 9000 block of Wilshire Boulevard and then "intentionally rammed the bicyclist with his vehicle pinning him to a metal rolling trash bin," according to a Beverly Hills Police Department statement.

The bicyclist was treated and released, Lt. Lincoln Hoshino told us.

The driver took off, and now detectives want to have a word with him. It all happened April 3, but now cops have released surveillance video (below) of the BMW in question hoping the public will help track the suspect down.

The car is described as a white 2008 BMW 328i sedan, possibly with front-end damage. The man behind the wheel appeared to be in his mid-30s and had dark hair, dark eyes and a thin build, cops said.

Hoshino calls him more than a hit-and-run suspect. He's wanted for attempted murder, the lieutenant told us.

The bicyclist appears to be off the hook for punching the guy, but Hoshino said that would be up to the District Attorney's office.

Know who the BMW driver might be? Call 310-285-2125"

I can't believe someone would actually do this to another person ...:mad:

killing time
07-19-2013, 11:10 PM
interesting study done at Cal, Money makes people entitled ass holes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqGrz-Y_Lc

Dave Ferris
07-20-2013, 12:15 AM
I can't believe someone would actually do this to another person ...:mad:

It's LA...even worse, you're talking Bev Hills. Many very evil people around that area.:mad: Didn't used to be like that 20 years ago. I'm so glad I don't live on the Westside. It's bad enough over here already.

I live in an area of LA that has the dubious distinction of consistently cracking the Top 5 for the worst and most dangerous drivers in the state if not the whole country.

Glendale.
http://bestaccident-attorneys.com/blog/study-ranks-glendale-california-third-most-dangerous-city-for-driving-in-u-s/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2012/08/28/cities-with-the-worst-drivers-2012/
http://www.usnews.com/news/best-cities/slideshows/10-us-cities-with-the-worst-drivers/9

How's this for a topper ? :mad:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/03/hit-run-victim-griffith-park-speaks-out.html

To be fair, the Glendale PD is one of the country's finest small city police departments. They're very aware of this less then flattering consistent ranking and are constantly doing their best , but Glendale encompasses a large area and they simply can't be everywhere all the time.

Any long time, experienced runner, cyclist or dog walker around here knows who public enemy #1 is. That would be the black, late model year Mercedes. It sends out a red alert. It's well known fact that a certain group of people that have contributed to Glendale's reputation, consistently view speed limits, stop signs and red light only has a mere suggestion. Young couples with baby strollers and small children walking ?...heads up. Elderly people crossing the street ? Proceed at your own risk. It's a damn shame because my hood and surrounding areas are naturally beautiful! Set against the Verdugo Mtns. Countless older character homes with hundred year oak trees. Again, wasn't this bad 10 years ago.

BMWs seem to be less a problem. Definitely the Black or white Mercedes followed by the oversized SUVs. Black Escaclade = you can probably put money on it- too fast and will run the redlight or stop sign. Cyclist or Runner ? Ha ha, in my country vee run you over !!

Plenty of evil Audi drivers, again almost always black. A good percentage of pickup trucks (again the black ones) can be counted on to be your basic cretins.

I'm primarily a runner. So when I am rarely on the main roads (if I'm not on the trails)- briefly to access a side street on my well planned out, least contact with traffic route- I'm running against traffic. I can spot an a**hole 300 yards out. I always asses a spot, in advance, on the road to bail out if he comes too close.

Obviously on a bike you don't have that advantage....one thing that freaks me about riding on the road. I ride the same , fairly popular road bike route once a week. I never deviate. Up through Descanso Gardens, down Linda Vista to the Rose Bowl and down the lower Arroyo to South Pasadena at Mission. 25 miles to 30 miles if I add on around Montrose coming back. Some of my younger Tri-athlete friends invite me to go up Angeles Crest to Mt. Wilson. I'd love the challenge of the climb and workout, but coming down...sorry it ain't worth it to me.

Overall the area is nice but given the choice, I 'd rather be on the trails riding or running. Maybe if I lived in Ventura or out in Thousand Oaks I'd feel differently about riding a bike on the road. Out there though, there's probably more soccer moms texting...so there you go.

djg
07-20-2013, 08:39 AM
No, obviously. I've had a BMW of both the lean-the-wrong-way-corners-type and the other type. My dad has had i dont know h ow many. Crownjewelwl has one, Angry Scientist has one, etc. etc. and obviously none of those people buzz cyclists.

But there is undoubtedly a subset of drivers who do behave aggressively toward cyclists on the roads, and the proportion of those drivers who choose BMWs appears, anecdotally, greater than the proportion of all drivers who choose BMWs, when compared to other car brands.

In other words, it may be a generalization, but it aligns with many people's experience. Doesn't implicate all BMW drivers. Who knows, maybe John Holmes drives a yellow Gallardo?

I don't know. I live in Arlington, VA, and commute into downtown DC. It's like bmw-ville. Most days, I ride, and it's never struck me that BMWs are especially problematic. Plenty of self-involved distracted drivers around here, and please don't jump at green because I can promise you that some asshole thinks that the first second of the red light is a guideline rather than a rule. But I've never noticed a brand problem or, for that matter, a class problem. Off the top of my head, small pickups stand out in my experience as having buzzed or crowded me more than anything else, not that it's happened all that many times. I wonder how much of this is a salience thing. An SUV, a muscle car, and a pickup don't necessarily stand out in somebody's mind as Fords, but a BMW is a BMW? But I reckon people buy BMWs (and not only BMWs) for all kinds of reasons, and maybe there's some sub-group that combines aggression and entitlement an a truly unfortunate way. I've no idea.

Ahneida Ride
07-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Up in Saratoga NY the other day ...

The State troopers (about 3-5 cars) were heavily patrolling
about a 1 mile stretch of road. It's a 4 lane road near the shopping
malls with lots of traffic ...

They were pulling over and ticketing people right and left ..
It was as easy as taking candy from a baby.

The offense ...... Cell phone use.

Seems like everyone is on the cell phone AND driving ....

Scary eh ?

fuzzalow
07-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Plenty of self-involved distracted drivers around here, and please don't jump at green because I can promise you that some asshole thinks that the first second of the red light is a guideline rather than a rule. But I've never noticed a brand problem or, for that matter, a class problem

Agree, but this is likely the pre-selected demographic for the environs that are ridden in. Anything in NW DC or suburbs of NY have a similar social class structure and it doesn't matter, any & all vehicles can be equally lethal.

More the same insipid rag on rich people tirade found in that article.

As far as crossing at intersections, never assume and always be looking in the direction of the next sequential threat. Drivers may seem infinitely stupid at times, but that's a fallacy as it is, after all, a finite universe.

christian
07-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Today I rode my motorcycle into the city to pace the race in Prospect Park. In 90 miles of riding, I had one unpleasant encounter - a car passing on the right after a "right lane ends" sign and aggressively merging into my lane, forcing me to accelerate and move left in the lane to avoid being hit from behind on the 87 - Sprain crossover on Route 100.

Maroon E92 328i.

shovelhd
07-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Are you a Moro ref? The guy in third place in the Masters is my teammate.

PQJ
07-20-2013, 09:35 AM
I blame the Germans*.

* As a Jewish African American wannabe francophile, it's a joke that at least has me chuckling; no offense intended towards Germans (I love my bimmer and German beer, among other German things).

christian
07-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Are you a Moro ref? The guy in third place in the Masters is my teammate.No, I'm a C Official, and have been riding motorbikes all my life, but I'm not a motoref. Taking the course and test this year though. I just paced the field today, making sure they had a clear course. Your teammate had a strong race. He was nose in the wind or first few wheels for laps 8-12. Nice show.

shovelhd
07-20-2013, 07:12 PM
No, I'm a C Official, and have been riding motorbikes all my life, but I'm not a motoref. Taking the course and test this year though. I just paced the field today, making sure they had a clear course. Your teammate had a strong race. He was nose in the wind or first few wheels for laps 8-12. Nice show.

Excellent!!! Good luck on the tests. You need to graduate to B before you can take the motoref test. I am seriously considering becoming an official when it's time to hang up the jersey, and my goal would be motoref.

Next time I race in the NYC area I'll let you know, maybe we can meet in person.

harlond
08-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Maybe the author was onto something.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html

All you guys with BMWs, what color are they?

soulspinner
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Only argument that ever got heated with me was when I was accosted by a guy in a 5 series with his 3-4 year old daughter in the car. Seems he wanted to turn right by going through me. I dropped the bike got my frame pump went to his driver window and he proceeded to swear at me like Ive never heard. I said to the little girl, dont act like your father. Didnt move for him .......Not sure generalizations make sense here though, Ive almost been popped by any number of cars, the only one that made contact was a Honda with a woman on the phone.

mvrider
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
I was taken aback to find my Prius classified as a "high-status" car:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/the-rich-drive-differently-a-study-suggests/

Now scientific research supports the unwritten and broadly circulated theory that people in BMWs are lacking in road manners. Paul K. Piff, a researcher at the Institute of Personality and Social Research at the University of California, Berkeley, has conducted a study linking bad driving habits with wealth.

67-59
08-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Haven't read all the replies, but my experience has been that BMW drivers (and drivers of other luxury cars) near where I live tend to be very good to cyclists. Never been yelled at by someone in one or gotten into any type of altercation. In fact, they most always give me far more than the 3 feet required by MN law. And farmers in pickups tend to be quite nice as well, often waving as they pass by.

My worst encounters have been with guys out in the country driving 30 year old Buicks, or workers driving dump trucks or other service vehicles.

Still, my biggest fear is the inattentive (texting) driver...and from what I've observed over the years, this spans from Beemers to Buicks.

boconnor811
08-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Maybe the author was onto something.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html

All you guys with BMWs, what color are they?

Silber Grau Metallic - No road rage here, and I make ample room for cyclists:)

mvrider
08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Haven't read all the replies, but my experience has been that BMW drivers (and drivers of other luxury cars) near where I live tend to be very good to cyclists. Never been yelled at by someone in one or gotten into any type of altercation..

There's a gray Audi Q7 that hasn't had license plates in over a year, that often passes us fast and close, gunning its engine on roads frequented by cyclists. This is an area with some people with an inflated sense of entitlement.

Agree that texting drivers give me the most concern.

Ralph
08-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Truly wealthy people are often considerate, mannerly, thoughtful of others, and have class.

My experience as a financial advisor for many years (before I retired), is that expensive cars are more a sign of debt than wealth....and maybe that explains some of the road attitude the author mentions. What kind of entitlement attitudes do wannabe's have? (as a general statement.....plenty of exceptions)

zap
08-15-2013, 08:32 AM
There's a gray Audi Q7 that hasn't had license plates in over a year, that often passes us fast and close, gunning its engine on roads frequented by cyclists. This is an area with some people with an inflated sense of entitlement.

Agree that texting drivers give me the most concern.

Here in Merryland (and many other states) police track vehicle movement so I'm no longer surprised when I see vehicles with missing plates...or at least not mounted where plates should be mounted.

AngryScientist
08-15-2013, 09:10 AM
There's a gray Audi Q7 that hasn't had license plates in over a year, .

i hope you have reported that to the police, especially if you see it regularly.

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2013, 11:02 AM
. . . I've seen any real difference in behavior of drivers of "luxury" cars. I think I can safely say that around here a majority of the close shaves and behavior dismissive of my safety as a cyclist come from drivers of large SUV's and large pickups, expecially really large crew cabs.

But I think you can make a case that is just as much from lack of awareness of the real size and outer boundaries of their vehicels as it is from intent. They just don't realize how big their vehicle really is.

BBD

mvrider
08-15-2013, 11:11 AM
i hope you have reported that to the police, especially if you see it regularly.

Yup, logged it with the Sheriff's department. No reply.

Vientomas
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/09/04/pkg-moos-manhattan-car-speed-timelapse.cnn.html

This could be the start of something really dangerous.