PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Sizing Cross-comparison chart

slidey
07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
I reckon there are a few of you out there who'll benefit from such a comparison chart, as I know it definitely helps me a tad. Hopefully, this will grow into a useful, and reliable source of info to refer to. In fact, it'd be great if some of you could chime in and suggest corrections from the charts you see here, base don your own personal experiences.

1. Here's one cross-comparison chart from performance bikes.
http://media.performancebike.com/images/performance/productinfo/20-SHOE-MENS-SIZING.gif

2. Also, batman1425 mentioned the Art's Cyclery comparison tool worked spot on for him. Based on that, I went to the site and found that although they don't have a chart, they provide a tool where they do a comparison of two different shoes. You can go to their website (http://www.artscyclery.com/cycling_shoes.html), and choose your preferred shoe and then click on the link which says "Show me how it fits", and go on from there. Caveat: I don't believe this feature is available on shoes marked "New'.

KidWok
07-18-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm coming from a Shimano 45 and feel the Fizik 45 is the same fit. Had heard that there was some sizing discrepancy so I made sure to try them on before buying. I never trust these charts...MUST try on before buying. Of course...I tried on the new R3's with mesh a few weeks ago at an LBS and fell instantly in love...just bought a set of red R3's from your PSA to stash away.

Tai

tmf
07-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I've used a fit comparison tool like the one on Art's for running shoes, and it's been very helpful. In addition to a size comparison, it gives a 3D representation of the fit in regards to "more tight" and "less tight" across the shoe. If it's accurate that is incredibly helpful!

chengher87
07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
If I need guidance on buying shoes, I pray to Saint Hubbins.

Steve in SLO
07-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Nice tool. I sure would like to see Specialized on it...esp since Arts is a Spec dealer.

JonB
07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Classic.

If I need guidance on buying shoes, I pray to Saint Hubbins.

rice rocket
07-18-2013, 02:49 PM
The idea is good on the surface, but think of how complex it actually is.

Let's simplify a foot into 3 dimensions, A, B, and C.

Shoe X has a shoe size of A x B x C
User A has a foot size A+1 x B x C

User A doesn't fit, sizes up one size and feels like a good compromise was made.

Now another customer comes along.

User B has a foot size of A x B+1 x C

User B also sizes up, but for a different reason.

Now Shoe Y has dimensions A+1 x B x C.

User A buys shoe X in size + 1, but Shoe Y in "true to size".
User B buys shoe X in size + 1, but also needs +1 in Shoe Y.

Great idea, not really useful in practice, especially when there's more than a dozen critical measurements in a shoe.

vqdriver
07-18-2013, 02:59 PM
what i've found from my shoes in order of width

sidi = narrow for me
specialized
shimano
specialized wide
sidi mega

in all i've fit either a 43 or 43.5. don't remember which was what.

laupsi
07-18-2013, 03:01 PM
to go along w/Rice Rocket. I have gotten different conversions from some of the same companies listed, all sizes based on the shoe type/model.

gngroup
07-18-2013, 05:04 PM
I've got two pairs of Giro Factors and am a US Size 12.5 shoe. I have one that's a 46.5 (which they list as size 12.25) and one that's a 46. I'd say the 46 fits closer to what I expect a 12.5 to fit like. The 46.5 is a bit loose and requires thicker socks so my feet don't move around.

Louis
07-18-2013, 05:41 PM
In my experience even a given company isn't necessarily consistent with their sizing. Sidi 45 Genius 3 and 4 fit me like gloves over a convenient range of sock thicknesses. But a while back I got a Sidi Winter shoe, also in 45, which turned out to be much too small. There was absolutely no way to make it work, even with the thinnest sock I had. Go figure.

slidey
07-18-2013, 05:59 PM
You are spot on...it is very difficult, rather impossible to come up with one unique recommendation for every user based on just their foot measurements and/or their sizing from one brand. This is why, I'm trying to get this started as a crowd-sourced initiative where after a certain point of time, this will be able to give a median on which sizes should one be necessarily targeting in a new-to-them brand. No harm in trying to leverage the power of the forum for something probably meaningful. :p

The idea is good on the surface, but think of how complex it actually is.

Let's simplify a foot into 3 dimensions, A, B, and C.

Shoe X has a shoe size of A x B x C
User A has a foot size A+1 x B x C

User A doesn't fit, sizes up one size and feels like a good compromise was made.

Now another customer comes along.

User B has a foot size of A x B+1 x C

User B also sizes up, but for a different reason.

Now Shoe Y has dimensions A+1 x B x C.

User A buys shoe X in size + 1, but Shoe Y in "true to size".
User B buys shoe X in size + 1, but also needs +1 in Shoe Y.

Great idea, not really useful in practice, especially when there's more than a dozen critical measurements in a shoe.

slidey
07-18-2013, 06:06 PM
You're right, I did consider even this scenario but reached the following conclusion:

Same brand, diff purpose shoes do tend to have different sizing for different people, due to different manufacturing techniques employed across the models. One analogy I had in mind was cross-bike sizing and road-bike sizing from the same company. So yeah, its helpful for people to mention, like you did, which model of shoe were they referring to when stating their sizing comparison.

In my experience even a given company isn't necessarily consistent with their sizing. Sidi 45 Genius 3 and 4 fit me like gloves over a convenient range of sock thicknesses. But a while back I got a Sidi Winter shoe, also in 45, which turned out to be much too small. There was absolutely no way to make it work, even with the thinnest sock I had. Go figure.

pdmtong
07-19-2013, 01:06 AM
the answer is something like this

http://shoefitr.com/

also, fwiw I am a 44.5 in ergo 2 but a 44.0 in wire. sidi changed the volume

slidey
07-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Wow! I've been pondering around on this idea of a crowd-sourced aggregation shoe-sizer for a couple of years now, and it turns out there's already a start-up based on it :cool:

Oh well, thanks a lot for the pointer to this. Just realised after going through their site that Arts Cyclery in fact uses them.

the answer is something like this

http://shoefitr.com/

also, fwiw I am a 44.5 in ergo 2 but a 44.0 in wire. sidi changed the volume

Bob Ross
07-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Nice tool. I sure would like to see Specialized on it

I own cycling shoes by three different manufacturers, and none of them are on that list!

slidey
07-19-2013, 11:08 AM
DMT, Gaerne, Specialized?

You should consider updating here in any case.

I own cycling shoes by three different manufacturers, and none of them are on that list!

pdmtong
07-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Wow! I've been pondering around on this idea of a crowd-sourced aggregation shoe-sizer for a couple of years now, and it turns out there's already a start-up based on it :cool:

Oh well, thanks a lot for the pointer to this. Just realised after going through their site that Arts Cyclery in fact uses them.

its not perfect, but it does attempt to account for three dimensions via 3D volume.

Bob Ross
07-21-2013, 07:57 AM
DMT, Gaerne, Specialized?

You should consider updating here in any case.

Close: Answer, Gaerne, Specialized.

And why would I consider updating?

velvig
07-23-2013, 07:10 AM
This is a helpful chart but I have to say that my own personal experience differs slightly from whats listed.

slidey
07-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Because your updating could add to the info, which someone might find useful.
And why would I consider updating?

Quite possible...feel free to let it be known how it differs.
This is a helpful chart but I have to say that my own personal experience differs slightly from whats listed.

bikeridah
07-27-2013, 11:37 AM
EDIT: Can anyone comment on which brand(s) on the chart are most similar in fit to Specialized S Works?

dwb
07-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Size 44 Pearl Izumi is closer to a 44.5 or 45 Lake, in my experience.

slidey
07-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey, So it seems that Specialized S-Works is same as Shimano. I tried out the "Show me how it fits" app on artscyclery's page (http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_SH-R320_Road_Shoes_White/descpage-SHR320W.html?crumb=RDMSHOES). I did a comparison of SH-R320 though, but you can choose to do with some other brand for comparison and go from there.

EDIT: Can anyone comment on which brand(s) on the chart are most similar in fit to Specialized S Works?