PDA

View Full Version : Sarenne, Solude, Huez

maxn
07-18-2013, 12:47 AM
So here's my return, after a bit of an absence :) A few (well, one big one) family things have conspired to keep me off the bike. And then, for the last couple of months I've had some kind of mystery sickness. Basically, I get dropped by people that I never had a problem keeping up with. I was hoping it was just a lack of fitness, but it appears to be something else. Anyway, it's been frustrating, but I've still managed some riding: Glandon from the Maurienne, Charmant som and others. Today I drove with a friend to the Alpe d'Huez for a semi organized ride from the temporary Rapha shop in town. We set off over Sarenne, down across the dam and back into the Bourg valley, and then up a climb that I had been scoping for a long time up to Col du Solude. This last road turned out to be just spectacular, even if I felt pretty weak. The top part is a well graded gravel road with magnificent views of the Alpe d'Huez and the valley. Somehow we managed to ride past a bunch of people who had stopped at a cafe in Villard-Notre-Dame, but we ended up waiting for them at a cafe on the other side in Villard Reymond with an American couple that we caught up to along the gravel traverse. It turned out that they were the Grubers, whose photos I have really admired, so that was cool. Next, a technical descent down to the road that comes off Ornon, and back towards Allemond. I got dropped along this stretch and started up the last climb: Alpe d'Huez via Villard Reculas with just my friend. It turned out that there are a couple of alternate starts to this climb, and the rest of the group was waiting for us down the road for a while -- doh! I waved my friend off, shifted into the biggest cog and started the grind by myself. It was slow going but ok until near the top, where I had the worst leg cramps that I have ever experienced. I had to get off my bike at least ten times to let my legs unclench. It was a delicate balancing act: lean too far one way and the hamstrings would go… the other way would start the quads. It was agony, and despite the shelf road at the top being gorgeous, with Sound of Music rolling hills looking out over glaciers and peaks, the best I could do was to focus on arriving back to the car. I eventually made it, but I'll admit that those last several km were pretty dark, even with the very loud Dutch music and Swiss rap filtering out of bumper to bumper RVs. I took a little video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKXUpTzo48&feature=em-upload_owner

velotel
07-18-2013, 01:19 AM
I thought you were rock climbing on that greek island. Lot of people up there on Sarenne. Every time I've done it there's been hardly anyone. I like that gravel road, nice. So if you're slow I should definitely take advantage and do a good ride with you. Rained like hell here last night, supposed to rain all day up around Alpe d'Huez. Keep those boys on their toes. The fast will gain some time going down.

soulspinner
07-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Thanks and heres to you feeling better!

BumbleBeeDave
07-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Max, I hope you figure out what's going on and feel better!

BBD

rwsaunders
07-18-2013, 06:40 AM
The old Froome "I have a parasite" ploy isn't fooling Velotel...welcome back.

tiretrax
07-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I get those cramps every time I get on the bike. In my case, it's from lack of fitness. I hope you determine what's ailing you and get well. Is there Lyme disease in France?

That looks like a fun ride, although very precarious. I don't remember such a minor road being on the route in recent years. Is it used often in races?

I thought Paul Sherwin said it's in a protected area off limits to motorized vehicles, so that is why it wasn't repaved. N'est pas?

choke
07-18-2013, 10:31 PM
I never tire of seeing your videos....thanks Max. :beer:

I hope you figure out what the problem is and can get back to your old self soon.

maxn
07-19-2013, 01:21 AM
thanks guys. Sarenne is I think used in at least one sportive (Vaujany Master maybe?). Not sure about motorized vehicles.