PDA

View Full Version : The Col de Sarenne

572cv
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
There appears to be increasing concern among riders about the Col de Sarenne. The Yellow Jersey has called for it to be neutralized if there is rain.

I am not sure what condition it is in at this moment, but I understand that some repair has taken place on the roughest sections, also that it is well swept prior to the race. I rode it a year ago last fall, in the direction the Tour will take. It was narrow and steep and lacking in guard rails. But, then, the Tour rides on roads like this all the time. The switchbacks are dramatic, but not exceptionally so, or, to my memory, exceptionally off kilter. I own up to NOT riding as fast as these guys or having remotely the same skills. But it is not the worst road I've ever seen. I also recall my hands getting tired from all the braking, but that's happened elsewhere too.

If there is rain, and all these guys are freaked out, I could see neutralizing the race from the Col de Sarenne down to Clavans le Haut. After that, the road gets wider and straighter in general ( a few sharp switchbacks). Then the essential challenge of the race could be completed.

I know the racers can't stop to appreciate it, but it was one of the most beautiful rides I've ever had the privilege to do. I only had the iPhone with me, so , not so good on pictures, but a few are attached.

MattTuck
07-17-2013, 07:02 PM
If Chris Froome is concerned about his ability to hang with the big boys on the descent, he should attack at the bottom of the Alpe the first time and have enough of a gap to descend comfortably.

The reality is, a small part of the peloton is going to even make it to the top of the alpe together. And if some kamikazee descenders want to take it too fast, let them... cough cough Alberto.

Lovetoclimb
07-17-2013, 07:09 PM
How will the race organizers handle team cars, commissar cars, medics, etc? One incident could back up the whole descent.

choke
07-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Here's a video of the descent....

http://vimeo.com/70139351

MattTuck
07-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Here's a video of the descent....

http://vimeo.com/70139351

haha. There's a boulder in the road at 1:30

If safety is a concern, I don't understand why the tour organizers can't invest in some hay bails and put them on the downhill side of some of those turns...

chengher87
07-17-2013, 08:39 PM
How will the race organizers handle team cars, commissar cars, medics, etc? One incident could back up the whole descent.

Probably only motos will be allowed and if they need a new bike or wheels, they'll probably have to take a neutral service bike and those Mavic wheels, like stage 3 of 2012 Giro Del Trentino on the climb of Punta Veleno.

572cv
07-17-2013, 08:51 PM
At 8:08, he overcooked the corner.... just got a little cocky there. Easy to feel its going to get a little easier on this descent, somewhere at least.

At 9:56,if you could stop to see it, is where the proverbial lamp post at the end of the world exists.

MattTuck
07-17-2013, 08:58 PM
You'd think for the 100th Tour, they'd get some money freed up and just repave that whole thing.

572cv
07-17-2013, 09:08 PM
MT, you may have noticed a number of places where there was an uphill culvert invert with fresh pavement on the road. When I went through, those were just concrete gullies across the road to sort of generally direct the snow melt. The road actually looks a lot smoother at the moment.

I hear they did repave on the stretch between Alpe d'Huez and the Col de Sarenne. That was the worst stretch, IIRC.

Elefantino
07-17-2013, 09:09 PM
OMG.

:eek:

tiretrax
07-17-2013, 10:47 PM
It's a good thing there were no donkey carts on that when your rode it. That's pretty crazy, by anyone's definition.

regularguy412
07-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Most of that looks to be not much more than a goat trail. One mistake or, heaven forbid - a puncture, and the rider may turn out worse than Beloki. At least nearer the bottom it does widen and the there appears to be some newer paving (no heave cracks, yet). Riders prolly gonna wanna be near the front, if possible, when they crest the top of that one,, cuz looks like not much opportunity for passing (at least not without major risk). I can see why Froome might want that neutralized. That descent is not for the faint of heart.

Mike in AR:beer:

velotel
07-18-2013, 12:14 AM
For me Froome is sounding like a whiner and then some. I love that road, in both directions. Apparently the sections on the Huez side that weren't paved have been paved. The other side wasn't paved because of protests by various groups for whatever reasons. They'll sweep the road but even when not swept, it's a fine descent. Very fast. And those guys will have it closed just for them. Wish I could have that.

Looks to me like a great opportunity for an attack by Contador or someone. Get some time before the col and put the pedal down hard after. If Froome was behind a large enough group, he'd get slowed way down because that's where the delays are going to happen, the peloton slowing for the switchbacks. A big enough group and the back of it will practically have to stop. Meanwhile whoever is off the front is going to be flying away.

I think it's terrific addition to the tour. A fast, technical descent to weed out the pretenders. Good thing Froome wasn't racing years ago; he would have gotten squashed by the roads they used to go over. He definitely doesn't want to ride the Giro!

Guy's bloody fast going up but sure is coming across like a wimp. Of course there are no guard rails! Is he nuts thinking there ought to be. Most of the high roads are without them.

To the one who asked about putting hay bales on the downhill side, because the hill's too steep. They'd just roll way down the hill.

Could be interesting today because it rained hard during the night and they're calling for more rain today. I think it's going to be a terrific stage. Riders just have to ride smart. No big deal. It's a great climb by the way. Hard as hell.

VTCaraco
07-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Sure does look like beautiful country.
If we're being objective, much of what they ask riders to do is crazy. But riders keep doing it. That's "sport", right?
I surely wouldn't want to do it at high speed, but I wouldn't want to tackle a number of the stages at the length or pace that those guys are doing it. This is simply more evidence that these people are at a far different level than I am.

maxn
07-18-2013, 12:55 AM
I was there two days ago, and they were still patching holes and putting down asphalt. It is raining right now in Grenoble (I was planning on riding up there to watch the stage, but not anymore!), so I think it will be an "exciting" descent. I rode Sarenne last year as well, and honestly except for a few sections, I don't think the road is significantly better. For those of us that were despairing about what the TdF would mean for this wild and beautiful road… I think there was no cause for alarm. It has certainly not been transformed into a superhighway! You can get a glimpse of the road conditions in my short video in this thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=133066

soulspinner
07-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Wow that looks nerve wracking at best. Watch for falling rock:eek:

572cv
07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
In the end, an exciting and positive addition to the tour, that Col de Sarenne loop. It had an impact, there were no injuries except to pride. TJV's mechanical was its own thing. Riblon on that corner worked out ok, as it happened.

regularguy412
07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
In the end, an exciting and positive addition to the tour, that Col de Sarenne loop. It had an impact, there were no injuries except to pride. TJV's mechanical was its own thing. Riblon on that corner worked out ok, as it happened.

That looked like the same corner that the OP's video's rider over-shot, as well.

Mike in AR:beer: