PDA

View Full Version : How I learned to stop worrying...

davids
12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
...and buy a new bike.

This is long and more than a little self-indulgent. Read at your own risk!

The process of buying my new bicycle was long and interesting. It started right here on the Serotta board, as I questioned and learned from my more knowledgeable and experienced peers. If I were going to try to sum up the vast amount of information and opinion I’ve soaked up here, I’d boil it down to these: “Fit is critical. Good design trumps materials. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice, and don’t be afraid to reject it. And ride what make you happiest, what makes you want to ride more.”

So, trusting my own instincts to narrow the field, I started shopping early this fall. I decided two things before I started: I didn’t want another steel bike (despite many peoples’ assurances that rust isn’t an issue, I wanted a non-ferrous bike) and I would work consistently with a single shop, from test rides to fitting to purchase. I chose Wheelworks in Belmont, MA.

Over the next two months, I rode about a dozen different bikes. Here’s what I found:

1. I’m not a big fan of all-carbon frames. Even the ones I liked the most (the Parlee Z1 and the Cannondale Synapse) left me underwhelmed. While I appreciated the smoothness and ‘zip’ of the best carbon bikes, they all felt sort of dead. I hate to resort to that old cliché, so let me try and be more specific. I felt that, although the energy from my legs was getting to the rear wheel and the ground, I wasn’t getting the tactile feedback through my feet, legs, and butt about what was going on. It wasn’t that the sensations I was getting were unpleasant, it was that the feedback was missing.

With the bikes I liked the best I felt like the frame worked with me, and let me feel both the road and the results of my effort in an ongoing, and very satisfying, manner. I couldn't tell you what creates this feeling. I have a feeling it's properly engineered compliance/bend/twist... All I can say for certain is; I know what I like.

2. I am a big fan of Serottas! Maybe I just finally drank the Kool-Aid, but I don’t think so… I’d ridden Serottas before this fall, and while I’d liked them, I had never been blown away by the bikes. Probably the closest I came was last spring during my “Ride with Ben Serotta” where I rode a Legend ST with impressive climbing performance. It was only when I rode Serotta bikes back-to-back with other brands (and with my current bike) that I really began to appreciate what Serotta has accomplished:
The standard Serotta geometry works superbly for me. I was significantly more confident taking fast descents on a Serotta than on any other bike I rode.
Serottas climb wonderfully – Every one I rode felt lighter and more responsive at the rear wheel than the other contenders.
Serotta are comfortable and communicative. This was the final key point. As the frames added carbon (I rode an all-Ti Fierté, a Fierté with carbon seat stays, and the Nove) the character of the ride changed, but the amount of useful feedback I got from the frame stayed high.
I didn’t just ride Serotta’s expensive stuff (OK, they’re all expensive…); Before I made my final decision, I’d narrowed the candidates down to the Nove and the all-Ti Fierté. Ultimately, I found that each time I rode the Nove I liked it more. Wheelworks made me a great deal on an in-stock ’05, and that clinched the deal. I gave up my dreams of custom paint, and won’t look back.

3. I made a very good choice to work with Wheelworks. Specifically, with Ed Sassler (Ti Designs.) Refer to his posting about what bike shops do in the winter – He spent most of a day with me to do my fitting, set up bikes for final test rides (carefully selecting saddle colors to match each of the bikes – You can’t get that kind of attention in May!), talk me through my indecision about which bike to buy, and to carefully pick every part for the final build. He spent another 90 minutes with me yesterday finishing the build and doing the final fitting. Working with Wheelworks and specifically with Ed was a blast!

So, you want to see my bike? Here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=151523#post151523) it is!

jerk
12-19-2005, 02:19 PM
good to hear. congrats on your new bike.

jerk

JasonF
12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Great post David, and a great looking bike to boot. Is it a 52x52? If so, that's my size too. Could you comment on why you chose the Nove over an all-ti model?

Ahneida Ride
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
...and buy a new bike.

The process of buying my new bicycle was long and interesting. It started right here on the Serotta board, as I questioned and learned from my more knowledgeable and experienced peers. If I were going to try to sum up the vast amount of information and opinion I’ve soaked up here, I’d boil it down to these: “Fit is critical. Good design trumps materials. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice, and don’t be afraid to reject it. And ride what make you happiest, what makes you want to ride more.”

So, trusting my own instincts to narrow the field, I started shopping early this fall. I decided two things before I started: I didn’t want another steel bike (despite many peoples’ assurances that rust isn’t an issue, I wanted a non-ferrous bike) and I would work consistently with a single shop, from test rides to fitting to purchase. I chose Wheelworks in Belmont, MA.

Amen Davids .... I went thru the same Process. Congrads on the new bike !!!!! :D

Sandy
12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
I really don't think that you should post here anymore. Your approach to purchasing your bike seemed logical, methodical, sequential, rational, and reasonable. I didn't recognize any sign of neurosis or psychosis. It all seemed so lucid and totally out of place on the Serotta Forum. Aren't you ashamed of yourself in making total sense?? :) :D

May you have many miles of safe and enjoyable cycling.

Sane Stable (??) Serotta Sandy

davids
12-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I really don't think that you should post here anymore. Your approach to purchasing your bike seemed logical, methodical, sequential, rational, and reasonable. I didn't recognize any sign of neurosis or psychosis. It all seemed so lucid and totally out of place on the Serotta Forum. Aren't you ashamed of yourself in making total sense?? :) :D

Ahh, my whole life is edited for sanity after the fact!

More seriously, I did have a lot of less-than-fully-rational flailing about throughout the process, but when it comes to spending the kind of money I just dropped, I tend to end up tilting towards the hyper-rational!

Frankwurst
12-19-2005, 06:42 PM

Yeah, whatever happened to throwing caution to the wind and buying something on a whim! :beer: Happy Holidays, enjoy your new ride.

davids
12-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Great post David, and a great looking bike to boot. Is it a 52x52? If so, that's my size too. Could you comment on why you chose the Nove over an all-ti model?
Glad you enjoyed it. Half the reason I wrote it, is I'm still trying to make sense of what I just did!

I'm not positive on the geometry. I think it's 52.5 x 52, and the "stock" sloping geo. I've got to get the details from Serotta!

My choice between the Fierte and the Nove came down to the ride. And it was a close thing - The all-Ti Fierte has a wonderful feel, sort of a creamy buzz. That's the best metaphor I can come up with! The road vibration comes through, but filtered in a way that seems to damp all the unpleasant stuff. I first seriously rode the all-Ti Fierte after riding, like, five all-carbon bikes from Cannondale, Specialized, Orbea... It was so much more enjoyable!

The Nove's feel, in contrast, is more of a creamy smoothness. Less vibration gets through. But I found the Nove significantly more communicative, more supple (there's the word I've been looking for!) than the all-carbon bikes, even including the Parlee.

On my first few rides, my preference would probably have been for the Fierte. The more I rode the Nove, the more I came to appreciate the smoother feel, and the more seductive it became. It's a rather uncanny blend of the best qualities of Ti and carbon bikes I rode. (I did ride other Ti bikes, too. Serotta won.)

Now, I didn't even think about riding the Ottrott (believe me, the Nove was a stretch!), so I can't comment on how it might be different, or improve upon, the Nove. But the specs for the new Fierte IT make it look like it's extremely close to the '05 Nove's spec. That frame, at $2,300, looks like an amazing bike!