PDA

View Full Version : Repair stands? Vertical or Horizontal?

roguedog
07-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I've been eyeing on of the Feedback Sprint (http://www.rei.com/product/847617/feedback-sports-sprint-bike-repair-stand) type of repair stand where it clamps the bike via the front fork and BB area.

I currently have an older version of the regular Feedback stands that requires clamping the post.

I've been looking to replace because it's a pain for me to lift the bike and hook it into the clamp.

The stand always seems to slip. Might start out at about eye level but then halfway thru washing bike I notice the front wheel is touching the ground and I've been bending over.

Is it ok to clap a carbon seat post? Or do you all swap a cheap metal one while the bike is in the stand?

Looking for thoughts on what the forum uses or if anyone has a "horizontal" type and has insights, please share. Any cons I should be aware of?

PS. Hey look, the bike is an Alchemy! Cool.

EricEstlund
07-17-2013, 12:16 AM
I have dummy posts I use to clamp. I never clamp a clients post, regardless of material.

vqdriver
07-17-2013, 12:30 AM
I have the feedback ultimate. Works great.
But plan on using one of these clamps on a sawhorse to make one of those horizontal types. I just can't get my head around the price of these stands.

http://www.autosnewspaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bike-rack-quick-release-fork-mount-black-price-features-specs-customer-reviews-1.jpg

soulspinner
07-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Need a new stand as well. I drilled mine out and put a quick release in to hold it up after the thing would no longer hold a bike up. New Ultimate aint so new no more........

AngryScientist
07-17-2013, 06:22 AM
my two feedback stands that clamp the seatpost never slip down, once they are tightened. as a data point.

i have no problem clamping any seatpost, regardless of material. the clamp is rubber coated, and seatposts are meant to be clamped, that's what holds them in the frame after all. never had an issue of any sort.

for reference, i've built every bike i own from the frame, so i'm not just doing tinkering maintenance on these stands.

Pyramor
07-17-2013, 06:34 AM
I also have a 10 year old Feedback that never slips once the closing levers are properly adjusted. Agree that it is somewhat annoying to have to lift the bike and tighten the clamp screw. I don't use it everyday, so really a minor issue.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2013, 07:09 AM
I've been eyeing on of the Feedback Sprint (http://www.rei.com/product/847617/feedback-sports-sprint-bike-repair-stand) type of repair stand where it clamps the bike via the front fork and BB area.

I currently have an older version of the regular Feedback stands that requires clamping the post.

I've been looking to replace because it's a pain for me to lift the bike and hook it into the clamp.

The stand always seems to slip. Might start out at about eye level but then halfway thru washing bike I notice the front wheel is touching the ground and I've been bending over.

Is it ok to clap a carbon seat post? Or do you all swap a cheap metal one while the bike is in the stand?

Looking for thoughts on what the forum uses or if anyone has a "horizontal" type and has insights, please share. Any cons I should be aware of?

PS. Hey look, the bike is an Alchemy! Cool.

Only issue with the horizontal one, and we have one for the goofy seatpost/mast oddities of TT bikes, is that you can't work on the fork/headset with one.

If ya worry about a carbon post, and they gotta be pretty stout or they would break under riding(and some do)..then get a build post or one of the slide in thingys from park to hold onto in a seatpost type stand.

cassa
07-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Only issue with the horizontal one [...] is that you can't work on the fork/headset with one.
Don't these allow mounting with the rear dropouts clamped into the stand, so that the fork is accessible?

Gummee
07-17-2013, 07:21 AM
The clamp is going to be more useful for more types of bikes: if you ride mtn, the thru-axle bikes are going to be an issue on the horizontal kind of stand.

If you're strictly road-only, they'll be a fine choice.

M

oldpotatoe
07-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Don't these allow mounting with the rear dropouts clamped into the stand, so that the fork is accessible?

Not sure if the dropouts are rear facing like a lot of these are..never tried it.

Neves
07-17-2013, 07:58 AM
The clamp is going to be more useful for more types of bikes: if you ride mtn, the thru-axle bikes are going to be an issue on the horizontal kind of stand.

If you're strictly road-only, they'll be a fine choice.

M

I don't own a Feedback stand, but have looked them over closely and they do offer an adapter for thru axle forks. I have a Park stand that I use, but I modified it by welding a longer pole to match my height and added a large metal base. It's very stout, but it's a beast to move and it doesn't travel well.

bking
07-17-2013, 08:30 AM

I just bought the park prs 20 and yes, you can set it up either way. easy to do. until now i've used seat post stands, this is much easier, better, for me.

adavco
07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
I have the PRS-3 OS-1 and the PRS-20. They both have their pros and cons...

I find the PRS-20 to be much better for building up/tearing down a bike - you can put a lot more force on the BB and the bike remains stable and in position. It is also easier to install shifters and bars because the fork is clamped in along with the frame. For quick adjustments and cleanings the PRS-3 is much easier. There are no ratchets and straps to get in the way of the crankset when shifting through gears (which always happens on the PRS-20). It's also nice not having to take a wheel off to throw it up on the stand - just clamp it in and you are good to go.

russ46
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
I use a PRS-20. Works great for me. For most work, I don't bother with the strap. I don't have anything to compare it to though. Prior to getting the stand I was using my trainer.

zmudshark
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Feedback Ultimate for me. My experience is the same as Angry Scientist's. Replacement parts are available if you have a worn, broken part. It shouldn't slip if properly adjusted, even the older ones.

madcow
07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I like stands that hold the seatpost for working on a bike, but horizontal ones for washing.

In my opinion this is the best of both worlds, it holds the bike like a horizontal stand but allows you to keep both wheels on the bike at the same time.

http://albabici.com/bicisupport/repair-stands/art-100-neo-pro-mp.htm

Formulasaab
07-17-2013, 01:33 PM
So, for those who use the horizontal style... When you need to work on the front brake settings, you do that on the ground or something?

madcow
07-17-2013, 01:39 PM
No you can remove the rear wheel and clamp the rear dropouts in the stand and that gives you access to work on the front brake with the wheel in the bike.

It's that having to swap wheels that I find makes a horizontal stand less than favorable for doing repairs/builds.

sohasm67
07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
feedback ultimate

aramis
07-17-2013, 07:14 PM
I have dummy posts I use to clamp. I never clamp a clients post, regardless of material.

What about bikes with a propreitary clamp? ;)

My BMC has a teardrop clamp. FWIW I clamp it all the time, just gently.

That stand linked up there is nuts. I guess if you assembly bicycles all day it might be worth it.. but it is still a bicycle that probably weighs less than 20 pounds, I've never had an issue using the regular park stand that clamps the seatpost, but I only work on my own bikes.

Neves
07-17-2013, 09:38 PM
I like stands that hold the seatpost for working on a bike, but horizontal ones for washing.

In my opinion this is the best of both worlds, it holds the bike like a horizontal stand but allows you to keep both wheels on the bike at the same time.

Fairwheel

do you import albabici stuff

bart998
07-17-2013, 11:01 PM

There is a 30mm difference in spacing from front to rear....

cassa
07-17-2013, 11:23 PM
There is a 30mm difference in spacing from front to rear....
Sure, but the repair stands accommodate that. The Park version has two quick-release mounts, while the Feedback one looks like it has a single one with that can accomodate different spacing.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Sure, but the repair stands accommodate that. The Park version has two quick-release mounts, while the Feedback one looks like it has a single one with that can accomodate different spacing.

All true but I prefer a seatpost type if the seatpost will accommodate being clamped(or a build post or a Park thingy)..easier with the whole bike 'hanging', with 2 wheels in or out..to work on whole bike. IMHO.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2013, 07:29 AM

Ain't cheap, is it?

madcow
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Fairwheel

do you import albabici stuff

No Bicisupport is the manufacturer, Albabici is the U.S. importer and they sell directly from their website.

Ain't cheap, is it?

$600 retail certainly isn't cheap but then again for a pro-level stand I don't think it's that bad considering the Park PRS-3 with base is about the same price.