PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Ti

ajz07
07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Curious about refinishing titanium. I have an older (read '98) Merlin road that I love, but it is looking a bit ragged. When I first got it several years ago I did the whole scotchbrite thing. While I could do it again, I am hoping to figure out a way to get it a bit more professionally refinished (get the gunk out of the headbadge, etc...). Does anyone know anywhere that would do such a thing? As I am in Boston, I actually contacted Seven to ask if they did, or would know who...but they don't and have no idea who.

thoughts?

Andrewlcox
07-16-2013, 08:53 AM
My friend has a Litespeed Tuscany that I was going to have refinished at Christmas time but he declined. My go to guy was Tom Kellogg at Spectrum Cycles (http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/)

It was going to cost less than $80 for the service plus shipping of course.

Good luck in your search.

slinkywizard
07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Why not do it yourself? Maroon Scotchbrite (7447) will do the trick nicely...I've refinished several ti frames this way and have had excellent results...

avalonracing
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
I've done "the Scotch-Brite thing" on a couple of Ti bikes and cannot imagine how it would look any better if I a would have sent to to Seven.

I removed the old decals with acetone and unscrewed the Seven headbadge.
Cleaned the frame very well with soap and water. Then rubbing alcohol.
Then I took the plain old store bought green Scotch-Brite and cut it into strips.
Holding and end of each strip I "polished" the tube going ONLY with the old finish, NOT longways on the tube. Do NOT put pressure, just the lightest weight will do.
When you have done the entire frame, clean the frame with rubbing alcohol again and let dry before applying the decals. If you are careful and follow the decal instructions it will look great.

(But I just read above TK would do it for $80? If that is true, that rocks. I think the price that some manufactures charge for it is a bit absurd for a brushed finish).

ajz07
07-16-2013, 09:22 AM
last time I used the green pads. Lets say I do it again...only green? or green and then a finer grit after?

slinkywizard
07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Seven apparently uses the maroon pads...

avalonracing
07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
last time I used the green pads. Lets say I do it again...only green? or green and then a finer grit after?

If you use the green the way that I wrote, (without pressure) it seems to be the same finish look that comes from Seven/Merlin etc. I'm pretty OCD if it didn't look at least as good, I would have done it and left it.
I'll attach some pics in a bit.

Tyler Evans
07-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Curious about refinishing titanium. I have an older (read '98) Merlin road that I love, but it is looking a bit ragged. When I first got it several years ago I did the whole scotchbrite thing. While I could do it again, I am hoping to figure out a way to get it a bit more professionally refinished (get the gunk out of the headbadge, etc...). Does anyone know anywhere that would do such a thing? As I am in Boston, I actually contacted Seven to ask if they did, or would know who...but they don't and have no idea who.

thoughts?

Stop by the shop and I'll hook you up with some of the good stuff. Better than the 3M 7447... I won't have time to refinish it for you but I'd be happy to give you a couple of pointers.

ajz07
07-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Tyler, sending you a PM, as I will completely take you up on that offer of the pointers and the "good stuff"

sean
07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind that if it's bead blasted Ti, the green pads will make it look horrible.

mvrider
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd like to relate a story told by some engineers at 3M over dinner: 3M ran a test with auto painters on the efficacy of different Scotchbrite grades. They were puzzled to find that the green ones were not as effective as the maroon ones at painting preparation, even though they have exactly the same abrasive composition.

After they interviewed the painters, they figured out the answer: their wives told them not to scrub pots so hard with the green Scotchbrite, so they carried the advice over for this test as well. They just felt at liberty to scrub as hard as they wanted with the maroon pads! :)

sworcester
07-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Depending on the finish you want, satin to gloss, you can use Mirka Abralon or some other solid surface pad with a water lubricant. Start with a 1000 grit for satin and continue on with 2000 and 4000 for glossy then a rubbing and buffing compound for glossy with a random orbit sander and small buffer. Then put decals over it.