PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a '73 Motobecane for a fixie

sam.g
12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I've found a great LBS to assist me in converting a 1973 Motobecane Mirage from my college days into a fixie/single speed. The LBS is tackling the difficult work such as removing the 40 year old crank and BB and rebuilding a spare wheel with a flip flop hub, I'll provide the elbow grease in cleaning the frame and usable components. Some of my questions have been answered by searching previous threads but I still have a few to present to the learned members of this forum.

The once white frame with red and gold pin stripes now has a yellowish brown patina with 40 years of accumulated grease and grime. Other than scrubbing with simple green and diluted degreaser, does anyone have a recommendation in cutting through the grime? My recollection of cheap French frames from the bike boom era was that the paint quality and durability was very poor and I don't wish to remove any more paint.

I'm planning to salvage the Dia Compe brakes, levers and possibly the stem if necessary as it is far to short. What would be the best means of bringing back some of the original luster on these aluminum parts.

If I'm not mistaken, Motobecanes of this era used Swiss or French threaded BB's and required a smaller diameter stem. Does anyone have knowledge of the exact specs or can point me in the right direction for a reference on these bikes?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sam in Cincy

Fixed
12-19-2005, 10:14 AM
bro mineral spirits wipe down then wash it off with soap and water really well i.m.h.o. cheers :beer: :fight: :beer:

george
12-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Send us a pic or pics when you are finished.