PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Mountain--a little help

bking
07-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm taking a group of 14 young men (14 to 18) with little to no experience on mountain bikes. We're headed the end of July. First day we'll buy the mammoth mountian pass and ride on the mountain. The second day i was looking for some "destination" type ride: a place to ride to, eat lunch etc and ride back, with something to see. Ghost towns can be good and i know Bodie is close but wondering if it'd be hot in the valley and whether there are any trials to it worth taking.
Really looking for other ideas/places nearby.

thanks
Bruce

Ken Robb
07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
I drove from Lake Tahoe to La Jolla yesterday along Rte 395. It was 95F to 105F all the way to San Diego County. I think you will be best served to take thin air/cooler temps of high altitude.

Liv2RideHard
07-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I have ridden just about everything at Mammoth. If they are inexperienced MTB'ers then there are trails you want to avoid. They can get into some serious trouble very easily on some of that stuff. I am more of a pure XC kind of rider and I did not care much for some of the insane DH and built up stuff. The top of the mountain is very loose, like pumice. First day we rode the lift up all day and bombed down. I lost track of how many times I crashed. After the first day, I ditched the full face helmet and armor. I preferred to ride up to the top on the more XC type trails. I seriously climbed up and down that mountain for several days, rode just about everything. It is a beautiful place. Go to the Mammoth website and study the maps so you get an idea of the types of trails and elevation.

Lower Rock Creek is not too far away from Mammoth. It is a really cool trail. Best shutttled though it depends on your fitness. It is a seriously fun but very technical run. Once you get to the bottom of the run, you have to climb asphalt and burn the road to get back to your car. It is worth it though.

Be sure to hit Mono Lake. Especially at sunset and with a full moon. Place is out of this world cool.

http://www.monolake.org/about/story

Heck, take a side trip to Yosemite. That is what I always do when out there. You aren't that far away.

Have fun!

Guy

nm87710
07-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Enjoy - The eastern side of the Sierra Mtns is wonderful!

Good Luck

bking
07-15-2013, 11:01 PM
thanks for the advice. we may try bodie.

Ken Robb
07-15-2013, 11:09 PM
oops

Ken Robb
07-15-2013, 11:10 PM
It was 100+F when I passed the turnoff for Bodie on 395 yesterday. I don't know what the elevation is at that intersection.
I've often thought it would be a fun place to visit but I don't have a vehicle suitable for the unpaved road leading to it. Maybe the ranger in charge could advise you on present conditions there.

Jack Brunk
07-15-2013, 11:14 PM
My opinion, the mountain bike park is the LAST place to take them. You can ride the easy XC trail along the roadside up the mountain but it's not a place for rookies. Terrain is super soft thing volcano type scree, not fun.

Ken Robb
07-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Thinking about weather at altitude and I realize that early morning temps will probably be chilly so a ride/climb to Bodie could be comfortable and an afternoon descent would be bearable even at 100F. Again, I'd check with the Ranger.

How many boys and what ages?

bking
07-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Thinking about weather at altitude and I realize that early morning temps will probably be chilly so a ride/climb to Bodie could be comfortable and an afternoon descent would be bearable even at 100F. Again, I'd check with the Ranger.

How many boys and what ages?

14 of them. 14 to 18 yrs old.