PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from Christchurch, NZ?

jh_on_the_cape
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
We are considering a sabbatical in Christchurch, starting around January 2015.
Some Kiwis in the US have warned me away from Christchurch, saying the schools are not yet back together for our kids education, and the university is still rebuilding. Furthermore, there are regular quakes still and another big one might come. The specific laboratories for our work are supposedly in good condition.

Others say it's an exciting time in a rebuilding city.

I am reading so much on the web... just looking for a random person's take on it, since so much I have read seems biased one way or another. There is some criticism of the rebuilding process.

Finally.... how is the mountain biking and skiing nearby? Where the ski fields affected by the quake?

mvrider
07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm not from Christchurch or NZ, but I did visit there in December. The center of Christchurch was badly damaged, but reconstruction efforts are clearly underway. A large part of the city's population (~20%) moved out, and they have not all returned. Scattered around town you could see signs of damage to houses and businesses.

However, folks are coping. Businesses have relocated to undamaged buildings and are trying to stay afloat. We had lunch at a cool temporary shopping mall (http://www.restart.org.nz/christchurch-restart-village-take-a-look.php) made of 40-ft shipping containers. We spent a few days in Akaroa, a lovely little town in the Banks Peninsula. Some buildings there were also damaged, but the town is fully functional.

We didn't go MTBing, but I can't imagine they were affected by the earthquake. The ski fields are pretty far away from Christchurch, and we didn't hear of any damage.

In any case, New Zealand is a gorgeous country, filled with spectacular scenery in a very compact space. The people are gracious and friendly, the food is excellent (a far cry from meat pies and fish & chips of yore), and my wife was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the coffee, even in the most remote places.

jh_on_the_cape
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks that helps.
I think it can only get better at this point.

mvrider
07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
I highly recommend "The Little Bistro (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g285727-d1645879-Reviews-The_Little_Bistro-Akaroa_Canterbury_Region_South_Island.html)" in Akaroa. Well worth a special trip. The town and Banks Peninsula are gorgeous as well. Have a GREAT sabbatical!

Marburg
07-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Typing from there as we speak. Sadly, I'm trying to get screaming child to sleep. I'll save my nuanced answer for when I have a keyboard.

mccx
07-16-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm an American with NZ citizenship, a NZer girlfriend, and halve each year between NZ & the US. Am in Christchurch now and was here before the quakes, but not during.

There haven't been any decent quakes recently (nothing over 5 in all of NZ over the past year). Another big one might come, but my understanding is it's not significantly more likely to come around Christchurch than anywhere else in NZ or other earthquake-prone parts of the world.

The center city is coming back slowly and starting to feel dynamic, but is still more empty lots and condemned buildings than not. (It's not easy to rebuild the core of a city when almost every building older than 50 years or higher than two stories had major damage.) That said there's still good stuff there and it'll only get better in the next 18 months. Lots of roadworks going, but that's getting better, except in some suburbs where it seems to be going pretty slowly. Many suburbs look and feel like they're back to normal. Honestly Christchurch never seemed that exciting to me, it's a decent city, both now and then, but the highlight is getting out and about the South Island, which is the same as it ever was. I'm not an MTBer but there seems to be some around, and the quakes didn't affect the ski fields so far as I know. Don't have kids so can't advise on schooling, but the uni (from what I hear from workmates & mates at Canterbury) has had tough times but is doing okay. Enrollments are down some since the quake & their budget is tight, but I wouldn't hesitate working there.

PM me if you have other questions or want to chat about Chch or the rest of NZ.

Marburg
07-16-2013, 04:36 AM
My wife and I are Americans who've lived down here for about 6 1/2 years (all in Christchurch). We have a couple of Kiwi Kids now, though neither is school age. I'm currently a grad student so I am involved with the Uni, if you're thinking about an Erskine fellowship.

I guess I'd start with two thoughts: your needs for a sabbatical (temporary) are different than as a permanent migrant, and 18 months is a long time in the rebuild process.

As mccx says, the earthquakes have slowed down significantly, though we've had a couple of shakes in the last month for nostalgia's sake. Yes, the downtown was gutted, but let's be honest, downtown Christchurch was only starting to approach "interesting" in terms of urbanity. Restaurants and shops are reopening, but they're spread around town. So no good walkable downtown if that's your thing. Again, as a visitor you probably won't care.

Housing costs are high, living costs are high. Not downtown Boston high, but high compared to a similar sized city in the Midwest. Again, as a visitor, it doesn't hurt as much.

Mountain biking in the Port Hills is good-to-great, particularly considering it's out your back door. Limited choices, but they're good enough for the post-work spin. Similar for road cycling. Enough good choices to keep things interesting, but I wouldn't say "spoilt for choice." There's massive potential for "adventure" biking near Christchurch with all the farm roads. The views are good, who cares if it's the same road week after week?

We don't ski, so this is hearsay. There is "good" skiing within a couple of hours. Probably not international-class but good enough to go if that's your thing.

_But_ once you're here you can start planning for bigger trips -- Queenstown for skiing or biking, Nelson for biking, etc.

Christchurch does really excel as a gateway to the South Island. So as a home base for a workcation, it's great (assuming you can get enough time away to explore).

As for the Uni -- as mccx said, it's hurting financially from the double-whammy of a huge rebuild and having many of the (full freight-paying) international students pull out. Won't affect you as a visitor.

Schools: I am less picky than my wife, but I think the schools here are comparable to the states. The bad schools are far less "bad" and the best (often private) schools are probably comparable with the best in the States. Much (with schools and with life in general) has to do with where you end up in town. In the South and West, there was less EQ damage, so life is more "normal". In the East, more disruption, more students moved between damaged schools and dislocation.

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions or help as we can, either now or when the trip gets closer, just send me through a PM.

jh_on_the_cape
07-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks, I will pm later. Very helpful.

hainy
07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
I am not from NZ but Oz and did a 7 day road ride from Christchurch to Queenstown in Feb this year and it was awesome.

Great part of the world

jh_on_the_cape
10-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi. Well the tix are bought and we are going!

If anyone over there has a 'size large' bike and was thinking of selling it... send me a PM! I am not bringing it because we are traveling with our kids and it will just be too much to schlep. And it's an excuse to go bike shopping.

mhespenheide
10-29-2014, 10:43 AM
You'll probably want to check
trademe.co.nz
...the local eBay alternative.

Although, when I visited NZ for three months in '08, I found that prices for outdoorsy durable goods were generally a fair bit higher than in the States. You might want to think about bringing a bike (and even selling it there upon your departure?)

jh_on_the_cape
05-10-2015, 08:17 PM
ChCh is heaps of fun.
Here is a shot of my bike up in the Port Hills looking down towards the Banks Peninsula, Quail Island and Diamond Harbor.
If I turn around the other way I can coast into Christchurch center.

One thing is that I have been riding a used bike I bought for less than $500, after riding high end bikes for years.
It's not as good, for sure, but very capable. It's a 2013 Giant Talon 0 29er. I would just swap out the fork for something good and it's nearly as good as a bike costing way more. Might not last as long or whatever, but still great. Just a comment in light of a recent thread.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=167798

jh_on_the_cape
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
You'll probably want to check
trademe.co.nz
...the local eBay alternative.

Although, when I visited NZ for three months in '08, I found that prices for outdoorsy durable goods were generally a fair bit higher than in the States. You might want to think about bringing a bike (and even selling it there upon your departure?)

I bought my bike on trademe but maybe should have brought a bike and sold it. There was just too much planning etc going on when we left. In retrospect it might also have been a crazy nightmare getting a bike through the airport coming here with my family.

avalonracing
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
ChCh is heaps of fun.
Here is a shot of my bike up in the Port Hills looking down towards the Banks Peninsula, Quail Island and Diamond Harbor.
If I turn around the other way I can coast into Christchurch center.

Wow, that looks fantastic!

gasman
05-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Fantastic. Glad you are enjoying it. When I lived down in Dunedin I bought a used POS mtn bike. Worked fine, rode it for 6 months and sold it when I left.
Have you been to a rugby game yet ?

jh_on_the_cape
05-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Fantastic. Glad you are enjoying it. When I lived down in Dunedin I bought a used POS mtn bike. Worked fine, rode it for 6 months and sold it when I left.
Have you been to a rugby game yet ?

yes i posted in another thread. Saw Dan Carter and Richie McCaw's last games as Crusaders.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1754683&postcount=16

gasman
05-11-2015, 12:46 AM
That's great. You got to see two of the best ever.