PDA

View Full Version : Buying used vs new

zott28
07-15-2013, 11:56 AM
I've been think about this a lot since I've been on my hunt for a 29er. I thought I'd get your options on it.
I've bought most of my road gear used. I feel comfortable since I know the gear well and do all my own maintenance. With Mountain stuff I'm a little more hesitant to pull the trigger on used. 1. because I feel it gets beat up a bit more, 2. I don't know it as well 3. There doesn't seem to be that great of deals on used higher end 29ers.

I think this question is universal to cyclist of our kind,
What is the peace of mind of buying new and getting a warranty worth?

Jaq
07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Buy used to try a thing out, new when it turns to passion. MTBs might get beat more, but they're engineered to get beat more, so it's probably relative. I figure, come autumn/winter, there should be some good deals to be had on last year's entry-level 29ers. Personally, I'm holding out for a hard-tail.

Ken Robb
07-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Like most types of cycling there are people who try 29ers and quickly realize that's not fun for them. Find one of their nearly new bikes.

OTOH, if the bike and components are recent models with good parts support a nice bike priced to allow for overhauls could be a deal too.

buddybikes
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
pinkbike.com is a great site for higher end used mtb stuff

dbh
07-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Lightly used sounds the way to go. New bike stuff depreciates so fast. If you know what you want, are reasonably knowledgeable, going used saves a ton of $

Lurch
07-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Folks need to be more understanding that used MTB gear will probably have some scratches. If a person is the type to freak anytime parts have blemishes, you should buy new or NOS, because MTB'ing by it's very nature will lead to scratches.

benc
07-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I highly recommend buying used. I picked up a used Geekhouse Wormtown 29er on Pinkbike. It was pink, coincidentally.

shovelhd
07-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Folks need to be more understanding that used MTB gear will probably have some scratches. If a person is the type to freak anytime parts have blemishes, you should buy new or NOS, because MTB'ing by it's very nature will lead to scratches.

Replace "MTB" with "road racing", and the same deal applies.

My race bike is a new frame with used components and wheels except for new tires and a new power meter.

Used DA Di2 was a great "investment". The delta cost was minimal and the upgrade was significant.

josephr
07-15-2013, 03:56 PM
used is the way to go....if you're out west or in canada, pink bike is more popular but not a lot of used mtb there if you're in mid-west or southeast.

also, mountainbikereview forum has decent listings on used mtbs....and, of course, there's always CL or your local IMBA chapter where you might find someone with something to sell.

also, if you're in a road bike club, usually there's a someone that rides both that might be good guide in your search. Also, a safe approach is to buy a 2-3 year old Cannondale/Trek/Specialized and not be worried about the components, etc. I've ridden high-end and low-end bikes...when your new, it doesn't really matter.

after a few months of mountain biking, you'll probably start noticing a difference in your road bike climbing.
have fun!
Joe

enr1co
07-15-2013, 04:19 PM
sorry- duplicate

enr1co
07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I've been think about this a lot since I've been on my hunt for a 29er.... There doesn't seem to be that great of deals on used higher end 29ers.

Beware of vague listing descriptions for used mt bikes as "has the typical mt bike wear and tear ridden for x seasons..."

FYI - Competitive Cyclist currently has a good deal on a complete carbon Tallboy built w/ SRAM XO. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&OPTION=LOAD_PRODUCT_BY_ID&PRODUCT.ID=40421

Also mtbr.com classifieds typically has a bunch of used bikes/gear for sale especially with 650 size bikes being the flavor of the day, 11 speed group transition, suspension forks w/ more adjustments, bells, whistles etc.

ofcounsel
07-15-2013, 05:22 PM
I'll echo what others have said. As long as you can deal with a few scrapes and scratches (pedals, wheels and cranks in particular), used MTB parts/equipment can be a great deal. If you buy new, you're likely to scratch it too.

One caveat. Make sure you ask lots of question first if you are buying take-off hydraulic brakes. Make sure the hoses are long enough, and take the brake pads into consideration. Hoses are often sized to fit a particular bike. If you're bike is larger than the previous bike, you may up having to get new hoses, then bleeding them ($40-50). Then consider that you won't know what conditions the pads are in and buying new pads = $50-60 dollars. At that point, you might as well buy new brakes, which can be had for as cheap as $150 a set. Less if you're buying off ebay.

TJack1214
07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
I also went through the same decision process "used or new". I went with a lightly used 26er for half the price of the new 29er I was looking at but with the same quality components, and I'm glad I did. Being new to MTB I learned a few lessons the hard way :) Being clipped in on a MTB is great when you're an experienced rider but not so good when you're a rookie!

If I find I like to ride MTB more than I currently do I may upgrade, if not I still have a good bike to ride and don't have a lot invested.

Lurch
07-15-2013, 11:11 PM
One caveat. Make sure you ask lots of question first if you are buying take-off hydraulic brakes. Make sure the hoses are long enough, and take the brake pads into consideration. Hoses are often sized to fit a particular bike. If you're bike is larger than the previous bike, you may up having to get new hoses, then bleeding them ($40-50). Then consider that you won't know what conditions the pads are in and buying new pads = $50-60 dollars. At that point, you might as well buy new brakes, which can be had for as cheap as $150 a set. Less if you're buying off ebay.

Similar to this, if you buy a used fork separate from the frame, do some homework. There are some killer deals out there on suspension forks, but many times it's because they were cut for smaller framed and don't have enough length for larger frames or spacer requirements. At minimum get the steerer length, and some info on what size frame and spacer setup they came from.

Also need to watch for tapered vs straight steerers on newer versus slightly older frames. Similar to PF30/BB30 BBs, you may or may not be able to buy an adapter for the frame you get, so it's something to look for.

Easier to buy a fork with the frame if you're not really particular on what you want.

ofcounsel
07-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Similar to this, if you buy a used fork separate from the frame, do some homework. There are some killer deals out there on suspension forks, but many times it's because they were cut for smaller framed and don't have enough length for larger frames or spacer requirements. At minimum get the steerer length, and some info on what size frame and spacer setup they came from.

Also need to watch for tapered vs straight steerers on newer versus slightly older frames. Similar to PF30/BB30 BBs, you may or may not be able to buy an adapter for the frame you get, so it's something to look for.

Easier to buy a fork with the frame if you're not really particular on what you want.

Very true.

fourflys
07-15-2013, 11:20 PM
go used... I picked up a used Santa Cruz a few years back to was awesome... took me a while to find the right bike on Craig's List, but it was worth the wait... and yes, a used mtn bike not NOT be like new unless the person rode it once or twice and put it away... if you know road bikes, you should be able to determine if the bike just has wear or abuse...

fogrider
07-15-2013, 11:34 PM
the question is risk/benefit. consider that there are many people that spend good money buying new and ride it a few times, then decide they don't like it, so the bikes collects dust. If you're thinking of getting into dirt, think about where you want to ride.

I'm in San Fran and there easy routes through the Presidio and Golden Gate Park (tour of the homeless) but the good stuff in Marin. I'm a rodie but it's fun in the dirt too and I like the road setup so I started with a cross bike. I got a hardtail last year and have started looking at 29ers but I don't think I'll be ready to pull the trigger for a while.

josephr
07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Got to thinking...there's a lot of bike shops that rent out mountain bikes. I'm not sure where you are, but around here a day's rental on a mtn bike is $40-$75 depending on what you want....26er hardtail to 29er full suspenion.

By the time you've paid for a good used bike, say $500-$1000, you could easily have ridden several bikes. Plus, if you're primarily a roadie anyway, and if you're only riding mtn bikes say 7-8 times a year, you may have the fuss of stopping by the bike shop to pick it up, but you're always getting a well maintained, late model bike, and saving a bit of money in the long-run.

just a thought...
Joe

zott28
07-16-2013, 12:00 PM
I've been on a Karate Monkey for the last month or so, and I'm having fun on it. I'm ready to upgrade.
My main new vs used debate is, how much is a warranty worth to me. Seem that I can find some good deals, that are around $500-$1500 lower than new retail, depending on the level of bike. I'm not sure why I'm worried about it more with the mountain gear vs road.

josephr
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
I've been on a Karate Monkey for the last month or so, and I'm having fun on it. I'm ready to upgrade.
My main new vs used debate is, how much is a warranty worth to me. Seem that I can find some good deals, that are around $500-$1500 lower than new retail, depending on the level of bike. I'm not sure why I'm worried about it more with the mountain gear vs road.

worried because you have an anxiety fueled OCD thats only temporarily sequested by self-induced suffering for long intervals?
Joe

rice rocket
07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
I've heard multiple complaints about the Karate Monkey. You have a lot to look forward to if you've been riding that thing and are coming back for more.

pakora
07-16-2013, 01:34 PM
My main new vs used debate is, how much is a warranty worth to me.

I used to never think about this myself (or, as others have suggested, factor in the relative risk into your deal ratio - this is a big one for me as a clyde, but there's more mtb clydes too), but I just broke my first frame, and a friend's words of, "it's not if you break a mountain bike frame, it's when" rang in my head :D

(not at all suggesting buying used is a bad idea)

zott28
07-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I've heard multiple complaints about the Karate Monkey. You have a lot to look forward to if you've been riding that thing and are coming back for more.

I wonder what they are, other than it's a tank.
I've been having a blast and I think it's teaching me well on non tech trails.

rice rocket
07-16-2013, 02:02 PM
I wonder what they are, other than it's a tank.
I've been having a blast and I think it's teaching me well on non tech trails.

Heh. In the appropriately titled thread:

Lousy-riding bikes (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=98191)