PDA

View Full Version : BAd Idea?

shinomaster
12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
I wanted to send some very fine Belgian beers to my dad like Orval or Westmalle because he lives in a cultural black hole in Elmira New York. Then I thought that this could be a bad idea. Only because they may freeze and esplode in the big brown UPS van... Any thoughts?

SoCalSteve
12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Beer of the Month club?

How do they do it?

May want to look into that.

Steve

shinomaster
12-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Where????

sellsworth
12-18-2005, 11:41 PM
This looks good if they ship to NY:

http://www.realbeers.ie/default.aspx

Ginger
12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Johnny boy, I haven't shipped anyone a beer of the month club membership in a long long time...I have no experience with the crews below.
Any one else work with them?

http://www.beermonthclub.com/index.htm

Microbrewed Beer of the Month Club members receive twelve, 12-oz. bottles of beer each month. Our beer club makes a great gift for anyone with an appreciation for lightly distributed, hard to find microbrewed beer. Focused on quality and variety, you may choose from three different membership types! And you'll be able to reorder your favorites at a discounted price.

http://www.microbeerclub.com/

A Micro Beer of the Month Club membership makes the perfect gift for any beer lover. Every month club members will receive four different selections, three of each (12 total) of 12 ounce bottled microbeer from award winning domestic microbreweries.

Along with the beers comes our monthly newsletter The Micro Brew Review. Here you will find information on the featured breweries for the month, their beers tasting notes, food pairings, and other beer related articles.

The first shipment also includes a custom gift card notifying the recipient of their membership plus any personal message you would like to add.

shinomaster
12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
I love my dad..If I sent him a case of Duvel he may never recover.

bcm119
12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Some tips- ship it on Monday via FedEx Ground. Buy non-refrigerated bottles, pack them really well, and insulate them. Check the national forecast and don't ship during a week when there will be a snowstorm or arctic cold in the I-80 corridor. Chances are they will not freeze, but no guarantees. Higher ABV beers are less likely to freeze, and shipping on monday ensures they won't sit in a truck over the weekend. If they freeze even a little bit, they will taste like crap. All temp fluctuation will cause flavor deterioration, but good packing will minimize this.
Can't your dad go up to Ithaca and hit the bev center or wegman's?

Imho, those beer of the month clubs are not worth it because 75% of the beer they send is not all that good or interesting.

ERDR
12-19-2005, 11:54 AM
there is a web site.... BelgianShop
shipped right from the mother land. anything you can imagine, and more. some gift boxes with the appropriate glass, which is a must.
great site, but the shipping fee is painful.
give it a look.
s.

Too Tall
12-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Shiningpath - Elmira??? Queen's relatives are there. I LOVE that place esp. the Corning Glass museum. Probably the worlds most definitive collection of glass thru the ages. Town is really on it's heels lately darnit.

Hey, I agree. Sending it 2nd day Fed Ex very well insulated should work. We get all sorts of perishables delivered that way.

William
12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Just send BD some money to pick up those fine Belgians and deliver them for you. Pretty simple........Oh wait. I'm sorry, I thought you were asking for "Bad Ideas". Nevermind. :no:

William ;)

If you pack it in a cooler without ice, won't the coolor also insulate the beers from the outside temps? It will drive up shipping costs though.

flydhest
12-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Wineries usually ship wine in large styrofoam boxes. The ones I have are for a case (12 bottles) and have a top and a bottom with the bottles sitting upright in the bottom. The styrofoam works to both cushion and insulate. This time of year, you should be fine--it's really the summer you should worry about more.

if you can find these types of styro boxes you're golden. They also come in 2, 3, 4, and 6 bottle varieties.

If you lived here in DC, I'd let you help me clean out the boxes from my cellar.

rphetteplace
12-19-2005, 01:38 PM
couldn't you just put it in a styrofoam cooler, like they use for fishing? Then I'd pack it full of styrofoam peanuts as an extra measure. I'd think that would control the temperature, be light for shipping, and be excellent packing material.

mike p
12-19-2005, 04:52 PM
"because he lives in a cultural black hole in Elmira New York." How can any place were samuel clemens lived and married and did some of his best work be described as a cultural black hole!!!

jerk
12-19-2005, 04:56 PM
"because he lives in a cultural black hole in Elmira New York." How can any place were samuel clemens lived and married and did some of his best work be described as a cultural black hole!!!

don't know. but arles france looks like beirut circa 1984 only more down and out...and van gogh did some of his best work there so go figure.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
12-19-2005, 05:00 PM
dude

you really love your dad?

send him to belgium

mike p
12-19-2005, 05:27 PM
"don't know. but arles france looks like beirut circa 1984 only more down and out...and van gogh did some of his best work there so go figure."

Don't even try to compare one of the literary greats of our time to some overrated one eared paint by numbers clog wearing nut job!

jerk
12-19-2005, 05:52 PM
"don't know. but arles france looks like beirut circa 1984 only more down and out...and van gogh did some of his best work there so go figure."

Don't even try to compare one of the literary greats of our time to some overrated one eared paint by numbers clog wearing nut job!

hey, the jerk wasn't; he was comparing arles france to elmira new york.

jerk

Frankwurst
12-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Shino my man, Beings how I live in northern Wisconsin where the temperature is currently well below 0, how about if we do a test run and you send ME some quaility malted beverage. I'm over half way there and would be glad to let you know the end result. I'm sure they would route it to the south of us so I'm thinking if it makes it here it would make it to your Dad. I will personally inspect and consume it upon arrival and provide you with a full report. If that idea doesn't fly do the styrofoam cooler and peanuts with a 24 hour handwarmer thrown in. It'll make it.Kudos to you for thinking about your Dad and one of the simple pleasures a Father and Son can share together. :beer:

William
12-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Shino my man, Beings how I live in northern Wisconsin where the temperature is currently well below 0, how about if we do a test run and you send ME some quaility malted beverage. I'm over half way there and would be glad to let you know the end result. I'm sure they would route it to the south of us so I'm thinking if it makes it here it would make it to your Dad. I will personally inspect and consume it upon arrival and provide you with a full report. If that idea doesn't fly do the styrofoam cooler and peanuts with a 24 hour handwarmer thrown in. It'll make it.Kudos to you for thinking about your Dad and one of the simple pleasures a Father and Son can share together. :beer:

Now this is a GOOD deal. Shino, take it. :rolleyes:

William :beer:

saab2000
12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
don't know. but arles france looks like beirut circa 1984 only more down and out...and van gogh did some of his best work there so go figure.

jerk

I was in Arles in 1988. Good place to cycle.

BTW, I have never been to Elmira, but I have been to Hergiswil, Switzerland. They have a pretty definitive glass museum there and let you get closer to the molten glass than any US company would ever allow. Neato.

shinomaster
12-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Mike..You just have to go and see for yourself!

shinomaster
12-20-2005, 12:34 AM
dude

you really love your dad?

send him to belgium

Doof!! MY old man just got BACK from Belgium!!! The fat bastard....
Jerk my parents went to Beirut on their Honeymoon in 1969.
Frank...how bout you send some brats to me and I'll send you a beer.
THe glass museum is in Corning..The corning Glass Museum.
Van gogh was brillant!!!!!!!!!.. And a nut, like many brilliant artists. And yes he painted some great works in Arles France.

Elmira does have;

Two, not one but..two!!! Maximum Security sate prisons
A big mall out side of town where all of the local business got up and moved to
A Walmart
A good Donut shop
A big mansion
ummm.......
Mark Twain is Buried there
My old Grandma/ Dad
Memories...
Hockey
White trash. :beer:

mike p
12-20-2005, 09:21 AM
hey, the jerk wasn't; he was comparing arles france to elmira new york.

jerk

Good thing!

OldDog
12-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Shino - take the brews to your local UPS store and let them pack for shipment. You won't have a problem. Look in your yellow pages, UPS is opening commercial storefronts all over, buying up the Mailboxes Etc. franchises too.

shinomaster
12-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I work in a gallery and pack and ship glass all day long..I'm just worrying about the beer freezing and esploding as it goes across the midwest in arctic temperatures...

I'll just send him the beer glasses..

mike p
12-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Mike..You just have to go and see for yourself!

Shino,
been there many times. I live in trumansburg, in the heart of the fingerlakes. Dinky little town 10 mi. outside of Ithaca. Famous for taughannock falls,grass roots music festival, rongovian embassy to the USA and bob moog(moog synthesizer). Some of the best biking in the USA. Absoluty wonderful place to live.

OldDog
12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey Mike - Trumansburg is real nice cycling area. Used to pull an rv up to Spruce Row campground and ride, tandem and singles. I love the little loop up around and down Tunkhannok Falls. Great swimming hole at base of falls. I also loved paddeling Cayuga. Might be heading up that way this Friday or Saturday to Swedish Hill winery, Slavaska Red is my poison. Seems my trips that way of late are for wine runs instead of bike/paddle runs.

OD

davids
12-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm not as young as I used to be, but Mark Twain isn't 'of my time'! You're not thinking of William Kennedy, are you? ;)

And why the hostility toward poor Vincent?

http://g.sheetmusicplus.com/Look-Inside/covers/WB-00120838.jpg

Shino,

Do you know of a beer-seller near Elmira that might have some fine Belgian beers? Shipping's dicey...

shinomaster
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
I gave up on the idea...I'm drinking the beer I bought for him...(not yet...its not beer:30 yet)

I used to live in Ithaca....much better than Elmira in almost every way.

mike p
12-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey Mike - Trumansburg is real nice cycling area. Used to pull an rv up to Spruce Row campground and ride, tandem and singles. I love the little loop up around and down Tunkhannok Falls. Great swimming hole at base of falls. I also loved paddeling Cayuga. Might be heading up that way this Friday or Saturday to Swedish Hill winery, Slavaska Red is my poison. Seems my trips that way of late are for wine runs instead of bike/paddle runs.

OD
OD,
I ride by spruce row all the time. If you come up in the summer let me know and will go for a ride. In winter bring xc skis I just got home from sking in hector right down the rode. I'm headed for grand cayman this fri. morn and wont be back till new years. But I'm always up for a ride or ski. I believe we have over a hundred winerys now between cayuga and seneca lakes. Ithaca has it's own Ithaca beer co. also, and it's pretty good.

mike p
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=davids]I'm not as young as I used to be, but Mark Twain isn't 'of my time'! You're not thinking of William Kennedy, are you? ;)

And why the hostility toward poor Vincent?

David,
While Mark Twain isn't really of our time (died around 1910 ) he's not that far down the road and he is one author who's writings really do transend time.
No real hostility towards that sissy boy vincent. I can just relate so much more to twain.