PDA

View Full Version : Stage 15 (Spoilers)

chengher87
07-14-2013, 08:24 AM
They are close to Ventoux with Movistar driving the pace. Quintana is locked and loaded.

Unfortunately I have to watch NBCSports and they haven't shown the race for more than a minute before 2 or 3 minutes of commercials. I appreciate a commercial-free Ventoux climb, but this is ridiculous how little racing you see before the commercial free portion.

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 08:33 AM
"and I'm hearing from race radio... the motobikes are being instructed to pace Chavanel up the Ventoux on Bastille day"

echelon_john
07-14-2013, 08:38 AM
We saw the Ventoux stage live a few years ago. Whole train of Gendarmerie motorcycles pacing Voeckler up the hill. Vive la France!

chengher87
07-14-2013, 08:43 AM
What happened to my commercial free Ventoux?!

gavingould
07-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Quintana about to go by Nieve. Schleck long gone, Cuddles dropped.

chengher87
07-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Blatant illegal feedbag/soigner sketchiness by Sky.

gavingould
07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Holy crap. That Froome attack is definitely "not normal"

Wilkinson4
07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Froom should change his name to Vroom vroom. Holy crap.

mIKE

LegendRider
07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Froom should change his name to Vroom vroom. Holy crap.

mIKE

Yep. Tour is over - any hope that Contador could put up a fight is gone.

echelon_john
07-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Froome looks almost superhuman. :cool:

572cv
07-14-2013, 09:19 AM
I never saw anyone ever on the tour able to do that. I did that climb last fall. :eek: it isn't possible to make it look easy....or that's what I would have said.

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Froome looks almost superhuman. :cool:

These guys are amazing.

gavingould
07-14-2013, 09:29 AM
And now Quintana popped at just over 1km to go. Yikes.

false_Aest
07-14-2013, 09:36 AM
that wasn't a pop. that was the result of the short chat froome and quintana had.

and i'm pretty sure that quintana used the 1:2874 exchange rate to his advantage

jr59
07-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Fun stage, On top of Froome's win, I really liked What Sagan did to win the green jersey!

If nothing else, he is fun to watch!

chengher87
07-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I've usually given Froome the benefit of the doubt (compared to others who have been skeptical from the start), but today was ridiculous.

He hardly ever had to climb out of the saddle, even Lance, Pantani and Contador couldn't generate that kind of power in the saddle throughout nearly the entirety of the climb. How can he generate that much power that he can actually spin out the higher gears to ride away from everyone?

wtex
07-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Great stage. To be honest, Froome's head was bobbing quite a bit, he was working hard. Definitely didn't look like Armstrong and Pantani when they rode it.

slidey
07-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Now then? (http://youtu.be/zQ8siBb14RE) :p

texbike
07-14-2013, 09:48 AM
and i'm pretty sure that quintana used the 1:2874 exchange rate to his advantage

LOL! What a race today. Ventoux is a b****!

Texbike

biker72
07-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Where the heck is Andy Schleck???
Poor guy disappeared off the back.

alessandro
07-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Anyone else catch the fan toting a Rodent of Unusual Size up the side of the road?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPI-YCpCMAAlv9C.jpg:large

Just watched that movie again last night.:D

echelon_john
07-14-2013, 09:53 AM
R.O.U.S.? I don't think they actually exis....

Anyone else catch the fan toting a Rodent of Unusual Size up the side of the road?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPI-YCpCMAAlv9C.jpg:large

Just watched that movie again last night.:D

echelon_john
07-14-2013, 09:55 AM
My takeaways:

- Evans, Schleck, Danielson, even Contador all looked like guys who used to dope but don't want to risk getting popped again.
- Quintana was bought. (false aesthetic nailed it)
- It's not normal to attack in the small chainring, seated, spinning 130rpm and ride Contador off your wheel.
- Hinault is one handsome man.

alessandro
07-14-2013, 09:56 AM
R.O.U.S.? I don't think they actually exis....

If they do, they're in low-lying, swampy areas, not on mountainsides...

phcollard
07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
That's superhuman performance. Never seen anything like this. Oh well...

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Quintana is Colombian, correct? But he doesn't look of European descent to me... does anyone know his genealogy? Is he a first nations person?

gavingould
07-14-2013, 10:13 AM
yes Quintana is Colombian.

Fivethumbs
07-14-2013, 10:20 AM
What did Quintana say to Froome? He said, "To Blave".

Uncle Jam's Army
07-14-2013, 10:21 AM
That ride gave me the "to good to be true" feeling. Color me skeptical.

Lovetoclimb
07-14-2013, 10:26 AM
If they do, they're in low-lying, swampy areas, not on mountainsides...

Carlton Kirby called it a boar, he is usually more perceptive of the small details. And what did that guy have in his right hand!?

echelon_john
07-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Lance Armstrong's soul. Very light & portable.

Carlton Kirby called it a boar, he is usually more perceptive of the small details. And what did that guy have in his right hand!?

FlashUNC
07-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Unreal.

Between the climbs and the TTs, no way Froome is clean.

Lovetoclimb
07-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Unreal.

Between the climbs and the TTs, no way Froome is clean.

By simple deduction:

If Contador = dirty, and Froome > Contador, then Froome must = dirty . . .

FlashUNC
07-14-2013, 10:51 AM
By simple deduction:

The guy looked like he was doing interval training up Mont Ventoux.

Contador used to look the same way...and he got popped.

Froome still hasn't put a bad foot forward in two years. Between the consistency and the seemingly superhuman performances, I'm skeptical.

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 11:01 AM
By simple deduction:

That is transitive logic. ;) (A=B, B=C, therefor, A=C)

deductive logic, which is more top down, would be: all riders who climb that fast are dirty. vroom climbs that fast. ergo, vroom is dirty.

:banana::banana::banana:

Aside from the logic, I can't comment.

Rada
07-14-2013, 12:02 PM
By simple deduction:

Assuming Contador is still dirty.

alessandro
07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Carlton Kirby called it a boar, he is usually more perceptive of the small details.

Ouais. Peut-etre bien que c'etait un sanglier.

http://www.dantou.fr/liberalisme_fichiers/m011.jpg

CunegoFan
07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Fastest time up Ventoux during a road stage. Sounds legit. Armstrong should have trained harder.

soulspinner
07-14-2013, 12:15 PM
That's superhuman performance. Never seen anything like this. Oh well...

As others have said, sitting and dropping everyone?

goonster
07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Ouais. Peut-etre bien que c'etait un sanglier.

http://www.dantou.fr/liberalisme_fichiers/m011.jpg

Vinces.

(It's thanks to Goscinny that I know what Latin I know.)

SolidSnake03
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Don't know if I should heave a bigger sigh at Froome or Tyson Gay today.....

Lovetoclimb
07-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Fastest time up Ventoux during a road stage. Sounds legit. Armstrong should have trained harder.

Saw some riders tweeting about the tailwind up the entirety of the climb today. Isn't it usually known for brutal head and cross winds on the latter exposed section?

I am not a Froome fan but he has the body type of an amazing GC contender for today's peloton. Coming close to Tony Martin in the TT was another questionable feat of strength but we all know how much pain Martin was in from the early stage crash.

Bruce K
07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Are we going tobtslk about his Zisymmetric chainrings some more?:rolleyes:

BK

akelman
07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
What a spectacle that was: beautiful and artificial in something like equal measure. Which makes sense, I guess, because Grand Tours, especially Le Tour, are all about spectacle, whereas maybe the Classics are still at least in part about racing. I mean, the Grand Tour courses are designed to demand super-human effort, so the riders do what they can (or, in their view, what they have to do) to exceed the limits of human endurance. In doing so, they become part of the spectacle.

And that seems to me to be the rub: the riders and team directors apparently believe, with good reason, I would argue, that the game is rigged. And so the rules aren't a matter of honor or guiding principle for them so much as an inconvenient bit of hypocrisy -- "They want us to ride this route? And they want us to do it clean? Hah!" -- that they have to surmount.

Somebody is going to say that I'm letting the riders off the hook for their choices. Not so. I've barely turned on Le Tour this year, and I won't be turning it on again. That said, I'm not judging anyone else for watching. The race is extraordinary, and I think Froome is a gifted athlete and will be, in context, a deserving champion. But I've stopped enjoying the spectacle.

akelman
07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Man, there's nothing more boring than another guy's end-of-innocence post. I apologize. Still, you kids should stay off my lawn.

akelman
07-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Wait, you mean Tyson Gay's comeback hasn't been clean?!!!? Next you'll be telling me there's gambling in River City!!!

cloudguy
07-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Fun stage, On top of Froome's win, I really liked What Sagan did to win the green jersey!

If nothing else, he is fun to watch!

No doubt, being able to pop a one-armed wheelie after 100 miles - what kind of dope is he on? :cool:

victoryfactory
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
What a spectacle that was: beautiful and artificial in something like equal measure. Which makes sense, I guess, because Grand Tours, especially Le Tour, are all about spectacle, whereas maybe the Classics are still at least in part about racing. I mean, the Grand Tour courses are designed to demand super-human effort, so the riders do what they can (or, in their view, what they have to do) to exceed the limits of human endurance. In doing so, they become part of the spectacle.

And that seems to me to be the rub: the riders and team directors apparently believe, with good reason, I would argue, that the game is rigged. And so the rules aren't a matter of honor or guiding principle for them so much as an inconvenient bit of hypocrisy -- "They want us to ride this route? And they want us to do it clean? Hah!" -- that they have to surmount.

Somebody is going to say that I'm letting the riders off the hook for their choices. Not so. I've barely turned on Le Tour this year, and I won't be turning it on again. That said, I'm not judging anyone else for watching. The race is extraordinary, and I think Froome is a gifted athlete and will be, in context, a deserving champion. But I've stopped enjoying the spectacle.

Well said and perceptive. But I still enjoy the spectacle a little.
As far as Froome's performance goes, Maybe a descendant of the
Indurain- Armstrong high cadence school? Not getting out of the saddle
could be a result of extra leverage of super long legs and that chainring?

VF

phcollard
07-14-2013, 01:14 PM

ultraman6970
07-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Sent you a PM with a more detailed answer.

Quintana is Colombian, correct? But he doesn't look of European descent to me... does anyone know his genealogy? Is he a first nations person?

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Ari,

I tend to agree with you. I posted a thread a while back wondering about one day races through the high mountains. I'm not sure that such a race would eliminate the need for doping, but it could certainly help in terms of not needing to recover the next day.

I think you can still have spectacle in one day races.

That said, I don't think it is hypocrisy for all of them. The union for credible cycling sat out of the dauphine this year due to a drug test. I think that shows some teams are taking it more seriously.

slidey
07-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Spoilers don't spoil it for me any more.

Won't get Fooled again! (http://youtu.be/Rp6-wG5LLqE)

acorn_user
07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
I was hoping this thread would be about the many great performances we saw today, but, alas, instead it's full of slander against the riders. Why can't we talk about Mikel Nieve's excellent ride to 3rd place, Contador's damage limitation or the fantastic ride that the chase group put in to limit their losses to under 2 minutes?

This is almost as silly as the innuendo filled cyclingnews comboxes. Sigh.

slidey
07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
The thread does say 'Spoliers', so... :cool:

I was hoping this thread would be about the many great performances we saw today, but, alas, instead it's full of slander against the riders. Why can't we talk about Mikel Nieve's excellent ride to 3rd place, Contador's damage limitation or the fantastic ride that the chase group put in to limit their losses to under 2 minutes?

ultraman6970
07-14-2013, 01:40 PM
After seeing the stage, well I was expecting something like this again. Quintana screwed up IMO taking pulls and he could have saved the stage for himself.

Have a question for the guys that actually have a power meter or a srm unit or whatever are called, this is my question, hope you guys understand it...

The power meter shows you how much power are you putting per pedaling or per revolution or in a determinate time right? Well, how much the gear ratio will play a role in the generation of power? I mean this is just the ex racer talking but since we did not have crap back in the day im just making assumptions based in my racing experience ok?

Ok, is not the same ride 20 km/h with 39x18 than 34x18, you generate less power with the 34x18, right? at least will be lighter because you have more torque in the cog, the gear gets lighter, easier to move but no idea if the power (watts) will be a lot less than using more gear.

Now, the problem using more cadence in the mountains is that the gear eats you, i mean... you get a lack of oxygen right away and pretty much after like 30 seconds or a minute you have to put a gear combination that allows you to breath and have a good pace and usually the cadence will be lower.

The next part in my question is that (i know, no question yet) many say froome is doping because of how fast he move his legs, well... if you use less gear I imagine you are using less power or generate less power, the issue to solve is the breathing and lack of oxygen problem. I my head probably the guy is not generating a lot of power but maybe what is just needed or maybe normal amounts of power, but he maybe figured out a way to overcome that lack of oxygen you get when using that circus bike type of gearing and cadence in the mountains? and that's his secret you know, not even quintana or contador back years ago was able to spin in the mountains like froome does, as many here, froome is the only one doing that, and probably he isnt doping but he is able to keep that high cadence with a low gear because he found a way the breathe better or something. I know that every rider is different but since the guy really cant move the same gears than other climbers and his solution as happens with old guys climbing is just use lighter gear combinations but in the case of froome he is able to keep that high cadence maybe forever.

Anybody get what i'm saying??

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Word.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=132720

I've been really impressed by Dan Martin this year.

beeatnik
07-14-2013, 01:45 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_in_Colombia

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2013/04/who-is-nairo-quintana.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hDPp7WiGq5A

His parents appear to be mixed race Mestizos . However, Nairo is more phenotypically indigenous. That's reflected in his nickname; his sister calls him Negrito.

Bruce K
07-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Let's be careful here guys.

No Jimmy the Grrek type comments please.

BK

cnighbor1
07-14-2013, 03:06 PM
With Wiggle and Froom both winning is the tall lean rider the future in winning racing. The short med build climber from Columbia can climb but is lacking on rolling courses. So is lean and tall in?

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
With Wiggle and Froom both winning is the tall lean rider the future in winning racing. The short med build climber from Columbia can climb but is lacking on rolling courses. So is lean and tall in?

It is in as long as the weather is good. This type of rider is the first to succumb to the stresses of poor weather. As this year's Giro demonstrated.

Shortsocks
07-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Let's be careful here guys.

No Jimmy the Grrek type comments please.

BK

I had to look that reference up. Had no idea who "Jimmy the Greek" was. Sounded more like a .... :banana::banana::banana:

e-RICHIE
07-14-2013, 03:13 PM
I had to look that reference up. Had no idea who "Jimmy the Greek" was. Sounded more like a pimp who specilizes in prostitutes who are into anal.

With that as reference point I wouldn't want to list the planets for you atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes:;):cool:
:cool::rolleyes:;)
;):cool::rolleyes:

echelon_john
07-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Yeah, right? I always chuckle at Saturn...

With that as reference point I wouldn't want to list the planets for you atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes:;):cool:
:cool::rolleyes:;)
;):cool::rolleyes:

shovelhd
07-14-2013, 03:30 PM

No, but I unfortunately caught the guy in the lime green thong.

shovelhd
07-14-2013, 03:31 PM
As others have said, sitting and dropping everyone?

To be fair, those osymetric rings he uses are designed to put out power seated. Just sayin'.

No comment on the doping.

fourflys
07-14-2013, 03:32 PM
first, LOVE all the Princess Bride references! :D

Second, I love to watch a good race and today was a good race!

e-RICHIE
07-14-2013, 03:33 PM
No, but I unfortunately caught the guy in the lime green thong.

Just assure us it wasn't from a JDate hookup atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:p:p:p
:cool:;):rolleyes:

shovelhd
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Just assure us it wasn't from a JDate hookup atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:p:p:p
:cool:;):rolleyes:

:hello:

fourflys
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
this is what I posted in another thread much like this one regarding doping...

"I really have to say I don't even think about it... I can appreciate how for some that have raced clean at the top level or sponsor teams at an elite level how this can be so frustrating. But, for me, I just don't think about it I guess... I enjoy watching the sport... it would be nice if I knew all the racers were clean, but in the end I'll still watch the race...

I guess I kind of chalk it up to when I race cross... since I race Cat 4, we often get a lot of sandbaggers or people from other classes using our class to warm up... (like really good juniors that race the Cat 4 as well) It's a little frustrating to have these guys blow by me and know they belong in a different class, but I still enjoy my race because I know at my level of "expertise" I won't be sniffing the podium anytime soon... one day if I get good enough to be a threat to the podium, I'll probably feel different..."

shovelhd
07-14-2013, 03:38 PM
After seeing the stage, well I was expecting something like this again. Quintana screwed up IMO taking pulls and he could have saved the stage for himself.

Have a question for the guys that actually have a power meter or a srm unit or whatever are called, this is my question, hope you guys understand it...

The power meter shows you how much power are you putting per pedaling or per revolution or in a determinate time right? Well, how much the gear ratio will play a role in the generation of power? I mean this is just the ex racer talking but since we did not have crap back in the day im just making assumptions based in my racing experience ok?

Ok, is not the same ride 20 km/h with 39x18 than 34x18, you generate less power with the 34x18, right? at least will be lighter because you have more torque in the cog, the gear gets lighter, easier to move but no idea if the power (watts) will be a lot less than using more gear.

Now, the problem using more cadence in the mountains is that the gear eats you, i mean... you get a lack of oxygen right away and pretty much after like 30 seconds or a minute you have to put a gear combination that allows you to breath and have a good pace and usually the cadence will be lower.

The next part in my question is that (i know, no question yet) many say froome is doping because of how fast he move his legs, well... if you use less gear I imagine you are using less power or generate less power, the issue to solve is the breathing and lack of oxygen problem. I my head probably the guy is not generating a lot of power but maybe what is just needed or maybe normal amounts of power, but he maybe figured out a way to overcome that lack of oxygen you get when using that circus bike type of gearing and cadence in the mountains? and that's his secret you know, not even quintana or contador back years ago was able to spin in the mountains like froome does, as many here, froome is the only one doing that, and probably he isnt doping but he is able to keep that high cadence with a low gear because he found a way the breathe better or something. I know that every rider is different but since the guy really cant move the same gears than other climbers and his solution as happens with old guys climbing is just use lighter gear combinations but in the case of froome he is able to keep that high cadence maybe forever.

Anybody get what i'm saying??

Yes.

A very brief answer. Power = torque x rpm. You can make the same power at different cadences. Froome chooses to spin up hills. He must have a fantabulous (assisted or otherwise) cardiovascular system, because, in general, the faster you spin, the higher your heart rate. Track sprinters make crazy power using gears much smaller than on the road by spinning like madmen.

ultraman6970
07-14-2013, 04:15 PM
This is exactly what I was trying to say, in the mountains the heart rate and the oxygen lack eats you big time doing a "froome" if you arent prepared and pretty much this is the only guy i have seen doing it at that level of competition.

I was a tracker and back in the day went to climb training with lighter gearing just to try and pretty much after like 5 minutes the gear was eating you, so you had to come back to the usual gearing to climb obviously slowly, thats why at least to me is just insane what froome does, doesnt make any sense from my experience and from what even other riders told me back in the day too when I told them I was going to try climbing with something lighter to take advantage of my high cadence.

Probably this sucker found a way to train to climb like that, or have the heart and lungs of a horse or something, probably he is a freak and that's what sky doesnt want to say.

Yes.

A very brief answer. Power = torque x rpm. You can make the same power at different cadences. Froome chooses to spin up hills. He must have a fantabulous (assisted or otherwise) cardiovascular system, because, in general, the faster you spin, the higher your heart rate. Track sprinters make crazy power using gears much smaller than on the road by spinning like madmen.

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Probably this sucker found a way to train to climb like that, or have the heart and lungs of a horse or something, probably he is a freak and that's what sky doesnt want to say.

Perhaps Froome has a mutation similar to this.... or he killed a flock of barheaded geese and harvested their blood vampire style and is transfusing it as we speak....

Bar-headed Goose Hemoglobin

As mentioned on the previous page, the bar-headed goose has hemoglobin that is specifically adapted to high altitudes. The bar-headed goose hemoglobin has an increased oxygen affinity which allows it to live in low oxygen pressure environments (Liang et al., 2001). This increased oxygen affinity is the result of a mutation at position 121 in the alpha subunit, which is highly conserved in other species, from proline to alanine, as seen in Figure 4 (Liang et al., 2001). This substitution leaves a two-carbon gap between the alpha-beta dimer, which relaxes the T structure and allows it to bind oxygen more readily under lower pressures (Jessen et al. 1991). Thus, comparing orthologs can also be used to explain differences in the oxygen binding capabilities of hemoglobin in different species.

Lovetoclimb
07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
These two pictures show a completely different level of effort between two completely different riders. Not drawing conclusions here but it does keep the conversation moving!

Chris Froome nearing the finish (http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/news/gallery-2013-tour-de-france-stage-15-2_295146)

Brent Bookwalter and other minion riders nearing the finish (http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/news/gallery-2013-tour-de-france-stage-15-2_295146)

The time disparity seems to have taken a toll more so for one of the riders vs the others . . .

fourflys
07-14-2013, 04:46 PM
amazing to be able to do this after climbing that...

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/07/BauerwheelieTDF15_713-157-639x440.jpg

Climb01742
07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I know there are no gifts in racing (but of course there are) but I wish Froome had acted more like a patron at the end. Quintana pulled his weight on the climb and aided mightily in creating the gap that has, probably, won Froome the Tour. Why not soft pedal a bit, Froome, and share the spoils? Froome takes jersey, Quintana takes stage. Isn't that more in keeping with tradition? Grace counts for something.

FlashUNC
07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
I know there are no gifts in racing (but of course there are) but I wish Froome had acted more like a patron at the end. Quintana pulled his weight on the climb and aided mightily in creating the gap that has, probably, won Froome the Tour. Why not soft pedal a bit, Froome, and share the spoils? Froome takes jersey, Quintana takes stage. Isn't that more in keeping with tradition? Grace counts for something.

Too busy fitting his third interval in on the day.

Never seen a chattier yellow jersey leader on the radio in the last 5k.

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Too busy fitting his third interval in on the day.

Never seen a chattier yellow jersey leader on the radio in the last 5k.

A lot can still happen in this race. Look at the stage profiles this week, and remember what happened after the Ax 3 Domaines stage. I'm not saying Froome is going to lose, but a bad fall, ill timed mechanical or a bonk is still possible.

Tuesday:
http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2013/05/29/2/stage_16_profile_600_1_670.jpg

Thursday:
http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2013/05/29/2/stage_18_profile_600_1_670.jpg

Friday:
http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2013/05/29/2/stage_19_profile_600_1_670.jpg

slidey
07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Totally agree. What a complete prat!

Bruce K
07-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Actually, I speculated on that "gift" scenario as I was watching the stage unfold.

There was a fair amount if conversation between the two but it seemed like Froome's decided there was some urgency in putting as much time as possible into the chase group (I believe he added almost 30 seconds in the last 2k) and Quintana couldn't seem to respond to the last big push.

I think Froome might have given him the stage if he had been able to go at the end.

BK

joosttx
07-14-2013, 06:20 PM
I am pretty sure Froome is a lemur.

soulspinner
07-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Actually, I speculated on that "gift" scenario as I was watching the stage unfold.

There was a fair amount if conversation between the two but it seemed like Froome's decided there was some urgency in putting as much time as possible into the chase group (I believe he added almost 30 seconds in the last 2k) and Quintana couldn't seem to respond to the last big push.

I think Froome might have given him the stage if he had been able to go at the end.

BK

This, but if I were Quintana, I wouldn't have helped him and helped my self to his back wheel till the sprint............;)

PQJ
07-14-2013, 06:55 PM

BK

Froome to Quintana: "How many blood bags last night?"
Q: "Only one. Ale was the leader and they only planned for me in a support role. The Alpe x2 gonna be tuff and I need to save em."
F: "Sorry mate. My team sucks tactically and I'm worried I'll have radio issues in the Alps. Two bags for me last night and I'm feeling strong. Gotta get as much time as i can. Cheers."

shovelhd
07-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Froome takes the stage, Quintana gets the cash.

soulspinner
07-14-2013, 07:47 PM
So what was in the musette bags inside the20k mark? They get a fine for it so ?

shovelhd
07-14-2013, 08:19 PM

We'd all like to know that.

ultraman6970
07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Super gels maybe?

Sure now contador and valverde's team are questioning why they did not killed Froome when they had the chance like 4 stages ago when he was left alone.

They screwed up yesterday aswel, I was swearing that the race was going to be as hard as stage 8 to eliminate the domestiques for today.

Two mistakes.

Contador wont give up the tour so who knows with what he will come up next week because froome will take at least one more minute out of him tuesday.

justinrchan
07-14-2013, 11:34 PM
We'd all like to know that.

Exactly. Porte basically dropped everyone with the exception of Froome and Contador when he was pace making.

christian
07-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Incredible. In the traditional, not colloquial, meaning.

oddsaabs
07-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Contador and everyone else will continue to race for second because there is an excellent chance that a year or two from now they will be awarded the yellow jersey after the next doping scandal is resolved.

ultraman6970
07-15-2013, 08:20 AM
AS where are you? U'll miss the chance to get another yellow...

jpw
07-15-2013, 11:32 AM
To be fair, those osymetric rings he uses are designed to put out power seated. Just sayin'.

No comment on the doping.

correct. with no top dead center there is no need to stand. Wiggins accelerates in the seated position too.

jpw
07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

he needed as many seconds as he could get. Quintana said after the stage that the agreement was that he would get the stage victory if he could stay on Froome's wheel. He said he couldn't. Froome didn't attack to shake off Quintana. He rode tempo. Quintana weakened. He acknowledged that later.

bikeridah
07-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Mini blood transfusion bags? :bike:

Jaq
07-15-2013, 11:55 AM

A Livestrong bracelet.

Lewis Moon
07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
A Livestrong bracelet.

Trophy.

echelon_john
07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
And a signed copy of "We Might As Well Win."

gavingould
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
musettes of pot belge.

soulspinner