PDA

View Full Version : I broke two ribs today (stress fractures)

firerescuefin
07-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Hitting golf balls at the driving range...and no I wasn't hit by anything. And according to the doc...it's extremely common.

Somewhere Will Ferrell is saying...."what a loser":no:

Louis
07-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Hitting golf balls at the driving range...and no I wasn't hit by anything. And according to the doc...it's extremely common.

Wow! What a bummer.

Ideally it would have happened while you were wrestling a grizzly or out-sprinting a mountain lion, but hitting golf balls...

Will it affect your riding? Does it hurt to breath?

firerescuefin
07-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Wow! What a bummer.

Ideally it would have happened while you were wrestling a grizzly or out-sprinting a mountain lion, but hitting golf balls...

Will it affect your riding? Does it hurt to breath?

Got on the trainer tonight. No issue until I make a certain movement..then it's a take your breath away quality of pain.

I feel like Ensure and an AARP card are in my future plans:help:

akelman
07-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Costco has good prices on Depends. I mean, that's what a friend told me.

texbike
07-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Doctor: Does it hurt when you do this?

Geoff: Owwww! Yes!

Doctor: Well don't do that!

Just kidding Geoff. Sorry to hear that you're busted up. Just another reason to avoid golf at all costs.... I hope you feel better.

Texbike

Wilkinson4
07-13-2013, 11:50 PM
See what happens when you cheat on your mistress! Be well and heal up!

mIKE

pdmtong
07-14-2013, 12:38 AM
See what happens when you cheat on your mistress! Be well and heal up!

mIKE

you beat me to it. sorry G, could not resist. heal up.

Shortsocks
07-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Got on the trainer tonight. No issue until I make a certain movement..then it's a take your breath away quality of pain.

I had a really nasty fall last year during a Crit, south of dallas, very similar, two ribs fractured. And the thing that got me worse than coughing or sneezing was taking craps. Holy mother of Christ. I'm ordinarily never constipated, if ever....but my body decided to have difficulty crapping for three weeks. I cringed at even the thought of having to nail the toilet.

(Correction)

Oh! I forgot to mention. It was the painkillers. Stuffed me up to hell. I was in pain sleeping because every damn position hurt...so I dropped a pain killer...and BAM...no pain until I had to sh*t! Hurt to push. Oh god it was crappy. Pun intended.

Good luck man. You won't be riding in the drops for a while.
As well...I found it a real on of a bitch getting anything out of my jersey pockets for a while . I suggest a top tube bag until you heal up.

ultraman6970
07-14-2013, 01:23 AM
get well soon... :)

Bruce K
07-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Geez Geoff, that's awful. Heal quick.

BTW, don't knock AARP cards, lot's of good discounts and weekly free donuts at Dunkin' Donuts when you buy a coffee !!:banana:

BK

jerome
07-14-2013, 05:28 AM
If some of you are planing a trip in the South of France or in the Alps
I will be happy to help I am living near by Mt Ventoux in the Alpilles.

I will tell you the best place to go riding and the best accomodation around or where to stay by preference depending your expectation and budget.

I know the Alps very very well to have lived there and to go each year.

Also I run swim hike so I can tell you more than just about cycling.

(best wine, best olive oil, best honey, best bread, best cheese, best meat, best Pizza...)

jerome
07-14-2013, 05:30 AM
what are you eating ?

you might need calcium a lot !

drink milk eat cheese !

good luck

learningtoride
07-14-2013, 05:30 AM

jr59
07-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Sorry to hear this. Heal well Geoff.

Also, I will agree with a couple of posts here.

AARP and Ensure are in your future. Just not in the near future!

And quit cheating on your mistress!

summilux
07-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Bummer. I broke two ribs a few years ago while caving. It took about two weeks before I could do serious aerobic stuff but was mostly fine after that. The worst part was going through all the hospital exam and X-ray stuff only to be told that they don't really do anything for broken ribs. I thought they'd at least tape me up or something.

buldogge
07-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Bummer Geoff...but...it does support my position on golf, I would say.

Wrap it up and ride thru the pain...

j/k :help:

-Mark in St. Louis

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 08:29 AM

Dude,

That's rough. I was at the driving range on Friday... who knew this was a potential injury!?

Heal up.

SamIAm
07-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Bummer. I broke two ribs a few years ago while caving. It took about two weeks before I could do serious aerobic stuff but was mostly fine after that. The worst part was going through all the hospital exam and X-ray stuff only to be told that they don't really do anything for broken ribs. I thought they'd at least tape me up or something.

The good news, you don't mention Depends and this certainly elevates golf to a real sport!

thwart
07-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hear it, Geoff.

That said, we've been trying for a long time to get you to give up those really dangerous sports and stick to cycling. ;)

roguedog
07-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh man.. I feel for ya. Sorry to hear but like everyone else... kinda ironic.

Heal up and get back on the bike!

slidey
07-14-2013, 01:39 PM
I felt sorry for you as I read the title of the thread, and then when I saw it was golf-related I couldn't but chuckle. Sorry, but it just is a hilarious combo of circumstances!

In any case, hope you get better soon Geoff.