PDA

View Full Version : Ventoux

BumbleBeeDave
07-13-2013, 09:04 PM
This is going to be surreal watching this tomorrow! I rode this last year while I was in France and it is amazing to see in the previews names and lots of scenery--including the Simpson memorial--that I rode right by. Stopped at the Simpson spot for a long time. It's difficult to imagine a more desolate spot.

Anybody else ridden Ventoux before?

BBD

Black Dog
07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Not yet, but I will be riding it a month from now. :D

rinconryder
07-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Man - I would love to hit the same climbs and compare my times to see just how much faster these guys are. Would give me an even greater appreciation of their talents.

chengher87
07-13-2013, 10:18 PM
My ultimate cycling goal would be to ride 2 historical climbs from each Grand Tour.

Le Tour de France: Alpe D'huez and Ventoux
Giro d'italia: Zoncolan and Mortirolo
Vuelta a Espana: Angliru and Cuitinigru

I just have to get into decent riding shape first.

ajz07
07-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Rode Ventoux ~7 years ago. It was with my father and I was his "domestic", setting a pace he could follow and pulling him up. Absolutely gorgeous climb. The memorial above the tree line is something else. Remember screaming down the other side.

My wife has graciously agreed to not complain (too much) and allow me to watch the stage tomorrow.

Louis
07-13-2013, 11:29 PM

Some lower gears won't hurt either:

http://www.cyclingrevealed.com/Vuelta/Vuelta08_web/Profiles/Profile_13_AltodeAngliru.png

metalheart
07-13-2013, 11:37 PM
ouch ....

fogrider
07-14-2013, 01:19 AM
3 years ago I climbed Alp d'Huez in the late afternoon and drove all the way to a hotel near Ventoux and attempted Ventoux. My legs were weak from the day before, but it was the heat that was the issue. it must have been in the high 90s and the two large waterbottles was dry by the half way mark. after riding for 10 minutes without water I had no choice but turn around and ride back to the car. I got water and drove to the point where I turned around and mounted my bike again...rode for another 40 minutes but the legs were not there. drove to the top...hope to get back in a few years but this time, only Ventoux will be on the agenda.

Nags&Ducs
07-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Just rode it on Wednesday the 10th of July. My CX bike slowed me down a bit but it was still an incredible experience.

Is Ventoux considered the toughest of the classic Tour climbs? I know it's supposed to be tougher than Alpe d'Huez.

Climb01742
07-14-2013, 06:27 AM
What gearing did you guys use on ventoux? It's definitely on my dream list.

Nags&Ducs
07-14-2013, 06:36 AM
What gearing did you guys use on ventoux? It's definitely on my dream list.

My CX bike had 12-25 rear with a 50/34 compact. I say had because, I borrowed the compact from my wife's bike. Damn glad I did because a standard would have been tough.

BumbleBeeDave
07-14-2013, 06:58 AM
. . . from my day there last year:

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/71612_mont_ventoux&page=all

BBD

LegendRider
07-14-2013, 06:59 AM
I rode it in 1994 just hours before Eros Poli won that famous stage from the 1994 Tour. It was one of my fondest cycling memories - I had a great day on the bike, the race was exciting and the location was unbeatable.

As an aside, does anyone remember Indurain nearly crashing on the descent and having to unclip? I halfheartedly looked for a video of it but came empty.

Elefantino
07-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Rode it 10 years ago on the rest day of the centenary Tour. The hardest climb I've ever done.

There are small kilometer markers on the side of the road that tell you the gradient percent for the next K, and they can be quite intimidating.

It was beastly hot in Bedoin when we started the climb (90+) and the temperature dropped by about 40 degrees by the time we got to the top. It was so cold I bought a jacket at the little shop there because I didn't want to get pneumonia on the (great) descent to Malaucene!

One of the great days of my life.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/mikerbrventoux.jpg (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/gmmtwo/media/mikerbrventoux.jpg.html)

572cv
07-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Did this climb last September. An amazing ride, the forest goes on. And on. And on......but then you breakout and can see the summit again, spirits rise, and you carry on. 50/34 chain with 11-28 rear on a Ti Fierte!

TBDSeattle
07-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Wow... great photos BBD. Thank you for sharing. I've always wanted to ride it...

. . . from my day there last year:

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/71612_mont_ventoux&page=all

BBD

Lionel
07-14-2013, 10:08 AM
I ride it many times every year, last time was Tue. A lot of people were already lined up for today's stage. It never gets easier and the Malaucene side is equally tough. I typically go with 34/25 or 34/27.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/VentouxJuillet2013_zpsa0d1221e.jpghttp://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/VentouxJuillet20132_zpsd848f083.jpg

Climb01742
07-14-2013, 12:10 PM
I ride it many times every year, last time was Tue. A lot of people were already lined up for today's stage. It never gets easier and the Malaucene side is equally tough. I typically go with 34/25 or 34/27.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/VentouxJuillet2013_zpsa0d1221e.jpghttp://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/VentouxJuillet20132_zpsd848f083.jpg

Lionel, what's the average or normal amount of time it takes you to make the climb? Do you have a favorite time of year to do the climb? Thanks!

Lionel
07-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Lionel, what's the average or normal amount of time it takes you to make the climb? Do you have a favorite time of year to do the climb? Thanks!

It takes me between 1h40 to 2h depending on the day (note that I am NOT a good climber). This is from the official start line in Bedoin to the top (21.4km). The top is typically open from mid-April to mid-Nov but it varies depending on snow condition.

I try to pick days with little to no mistral as it is miserable up there when it is blowing hard. There is typically a large temp difference from the top and the bottom. A good day in June or Sept is good. In July/Aug, you have a lot of people climbing starting at 7:00am or so. The Bedoin side is the most popular (TDF factor).

Climb01742
07-14-2013, 01:15 PM
It takes me between 1h40 to 2h depending on the day (note that I am NOT a good climber). This is from the official start line in Bedoin to the top (21.4km). The top is typically open from mid-April to mid-Nov but it varies depending on snow condition.

I try to pick days with little to no mistral as it is miserable up there when it is blowing hard. There is typically a large temp difference from the top and the bottom. A good day in June or Sept is good. In July/Aug, you have a lot of people climbing starting at 7:00am or so. The Bedoin side is the most popular (TDF factor).

Thank you, Lionel! Very helpful information.;)

ergott
07-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Lionel you stud!

Lionel
07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Lionel you stud!

pfff, a few good friends are sub 1:30

PaMtbRider
07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
My wife and I rode ventoux on the tandem in 2002. They closed the road to car traffic to the summit after we started out. Wind gusts were recorded over 100 mph and temps plummeted into the upper 30's. it was a challenge keeping the tandem on the road on the descent. We leave in 2 weeks for Switzerland. We won't be doing any of the famous tour climbs but will be doing plenty of big climbs. Can't wait!

Fiertetimestwo
07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I have ridden Mont Ventoux twice- once in 2002 from Bedoin and once in 2006from Sault with my partner.

The climb from Sault was much easier than going up from Bedoin, although still pretty "epic", as it is probably even longer, just not quite as steep in the early stages. This route meets up with the road from Bedoin at Chalet Reynard, so the last 6 kms are the same.

I was actually quite inexperienced the first time I did it, and it took an absolute age to get to the top- it took me nearly three times the time of the pro's - but get to the top I did.

The view in 2002 was magical- unfortunately in 2006 the top was completely shrouded in cloud, so we saw nothing! I was lucky that on neither occasion was the wind blowing too strongly.

Some of my best days on the bike.

tigoat
07-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Wow awesome thread to read!

rustychisel
07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Beaten by the Giant in 2005. On a loaner bike, lowest gearing was 39x25, started from Bedouin at about 3.30pm and it was about 34ºC. Got near the top of the forest and had to rejoin the family back in town, wind gusts on the descent over 25mph.

rain dogs
07-15-2013, 12:29 AM
My ultimate cycling goal would be to ride 2 historical climbs from each Grand Tour.

Le Tour de France: Alpe D'huez and Ventoux
Giro d'italia: Zoncolan and Mortirolo
Vuelta a Espana: Angliru and Cuitinigru

Not to tell you what climbs you should ride, but if you want the most significant from each race, I'd suggest:

TdF: Tourmalet (it's be used 80 some times in the race, since mountains were included, almost every year.)... then Alpe I guess. Although Galibier has been used more.

Giro: Stelvio and Gavia

Vuelta: Angliru sure, but Lagos de Covadonga is the most used, most significant climb... and it's beautiful and very challenging.

But, why not ride them all? :beer:

Lionel
07-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Yesterday was another climb up the Malaucene side. Really tough 4km section in the middle....

For a non gifted climber like me it makes that side more difficult than the Bedoin side as the max percentages are much higher.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/ventouxmalaucene8_zps7ab87aa3.jpghttp://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/ventouxmalaucene_zpsed8c6491.jpg

FlashUNC
07-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Not to tell you what climbs you should ride, but if you want the most significant from each race, I'd suggest:

TdF: Tourmalet (it's be used 80 some times in the race, since mountains were included, almost every year.)... then Alpe I guess. Although Galibier has been used more.

Giro: Stelvio and Gavia

Vuelta: Angliru sure, but Lagos de Covadonga is the most used, most significant climb... and it's beautiful and very challenging.

But, why not ride them all? :beer:

The Alpe is something of an odd duck. First run-up the climb in 1952, and it didn't return to the race until the 1970's.

To your point, other climbs have been in the Tour for far longer, yet the Alpe -- through some clever marketing and some decent modern era racing -- has achieved this oddly mythic status.

alessandro
07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
The Alpe is something of an odd duck. First run-up the climb in 1952, and it didn't return to the race until the 1970's.

To your point, other climbs have been in the Tour for far longer, yet the Alpe -- through some clever marketing and some decent modern era racing -- has achieved this oddly mythic status.

Your probably know this, but the Alpe has some things going for it that a lot of other mountaintop finishes don't have:
-The ski resort has lots of hotel rooms and space for buses etc., as compared to the Tourmalet, which has a tiny area at the top. Are there any cafes on top of Ventoux?
-the famous 21-hairpin road is wide and flat and made for spectators;
-the Alpe has often, but not always, proved decisive in selecting the winner of the Tour.

It may be savvy marketing by the town. But you're not alone in your ambivalence to this parcours--I found this quote from Procycling on the wiki page: "Alpe d'Huez annoys the purists but enthralls the broader public, like 20/20 cricket or beach volleyball."

FlashUNC
07-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Your probably know this, but the Alpe has some things going for it that a lot of other mountaintop finishes don't have:
-The ski resort has lots of hotel rooms and space for buses etc., as compared to the Tourmalet, which has a tiny area at the top. Are there any cafes on top of Ventoux?
-the famous 21-hairpin road is wide and flat and made for spectators;
-the Alpe has often, but not always, proved decisive in selecting the winner of the Tour.

It may be savvy marketing by the town. But you're not alone in your ambivalence to this parcours--I found this quote from Procycling on the wiki page: "Alpe d'Huez annoys the purists but enthralls the broader public, like 20/20 cricket or beach volleyball."

It was an ingenious bit of marketing on the Alpe's part, to try to get some traffic into the ski resort in the off-season. The original inclusion of the Alpe was something of a last minute deal as well. Then, to your point, there's the inclusion of the named, 21 hairpin corners for each of the winners on the Alpe. That's an inspired bit of marketing and myth making.

I won't argue it's been pivotal in a number of modern Tours -- Hinault and LeMond, Zoetemelk, Sastre, etc etc. -- but it really is something of a modern creation.

The Tour is Won on the Alpe is a fantastic read about it's history and role in the race. And how it went from just another random climb to "the Alpe."

For my money, if there are only two climbs someone is doing to try to best capture the spirit of le Tour, it'd be the Tourmalet and the Galibier. Both have been in the race for a long, long time. One's in the Alps and the other the Pyrenees.

aingeru
07-22-2013, 11:51 AM
if you are around the Pyrenees, this is the one to beat. Forget the Tourmalet and blah,blah,blah...