PDA

View Full Version : New Tournesol with disk brakes

eddief
12-18-2005, 08:07 PM
This is currently "coming out" on the ibob list. Another finely put together cycle from the likes of Hampsten, Dbrk and company.

I have never ridden anything with disks and was wondering what the tradeoffs are when considering this sort of brakes on a quickish road bike?

If you were primarily riding in dry conditions are there advantages to disk brakes?

If you don't need a brake bridge to mount calipers, do you still need a bridge of some sort to strengthen the rear end?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40092697@N00/

ada@prorider.or
12-18-2005, 08:12 PM
If you were primarily riding in dry conditions are there advantages to disk brakes?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40092697@N00/

i like disc brake's
they do not wear out rims

i only wonder why there is no one who make disc brake's in a really small dia??

GoJavs
12-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Mike @ ANT does that with his Major Taylor bikes. I, for one, hate rim wear but haven't a clue if the braking is any better or worse? :confused:

e-RICHIE
12-18-2005, 08:16 PM
that is one effin' shaweeeeet bicycle.

Big Dan
12-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah what Richie said.... :cool:

eddief
12-18-2005, 08:23 PM
sorta detracts from the classic look of road bikes.

bluesea
12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
sorta detracts from the classic look of road bikes.

its the new classic.

http://www.colawp.com/seasonal/200110/history/new_coke.jpg

Sheldon4209
12-18-2005, 08:33 PM
GoJavs wrote: I, for one, hate rim wear but haven't a clue if the braking is any better or worse?

I have an Avid disk on the rear of our tandem. It stops much better than any rim brake that I have used; I like it on the tandem. The only downside is putting the wheel on. With the pads close to the disk it is tedious and sometimes requires a readjustment.

Sheldon4209

Serpico
12-18-2005, 09:29 PM
wow, that fork is impressive

this is nic/capital? fantastic work

pale scotsman
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Another plus with disks is that you can ride on when your wheel goes out of true. No brake pad rub. Frame rub is another story...

Internal brake cables... holy smokes that's cool!!!

dbrk
12-18-2005, 09:42 PM
wow, that fork is impressive
this is nic/capital? fantastic work

Thanks for all the kind words. This bike was built by the redoubtable Martin Tweedy and it's his own personal ride. The disc brake option is something we're exploring in different contexts (and best to experiment on ourselves, since disc, well, drum brakes are only marginally part of the past), especially for use with fenders and that's posing its own interesting issues and solutions. The idea is to build bikes that are both innovative and progressive in technology as well as with certain traditional values and understandings about fit and finish. Very soon you'll see a Tournesol with some very traditional parts (Simplex ders., Mafac brakes, etc), lugs, and the look of the oldschool and then shortly after that a titanium 650B built for centerpulls and fenders. Rather than only replicate the greatness of our inspiration, particularly the French builders Herse and Singer, the idea is also to think: what would Rene and Alex be doing nowadays.

Kudos to Serotta for permitting this conversation and interest to express itself in this venue. Thanks to Ben and Co., as ever.

dbrk

zank
12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
That bike is so freakin rad. It would give Rene and Alex something to smile about, Douglas. Certainly belongs in VBQ.

sw3759
12-18-2005, 11:01 PM
So Douglas,how much more weight does that set-up add,over a bike with long reach calipers?
thanks

vaxn8r
12-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Very nice. Perfect for the PNW rainy season!