PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic

OperaLover
07-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Anyone else going to participate in the madness of this summer riutal? I'm bib no. 10066 and doing a one day on a silver Pinarello Opera. Say "Aloha" if you see me and I'll know you are a foruminte.

Man, with a number that high I can only imagine how many people have sigend up; must be a new record. Temps in 70's and 80's. WOOO HOO!

cnighbor1
07-12-2013, 09:20 PM
when I lived in the Seattle area I did it each summer. and each one was another great experience
1. I tried to do all 200 miles in one day. taking a short cut thru a hedge unto bike path I fell and hurt my hip. but I get going till 180 miles when a flat and darkness did me in. while fixing the flat I watch my wife drive by after I had called her. she was in the area in case I needed a pick up after she drove 25 out than back she found me. before cell phone
2. I left from home north bend which added a long hill but made it in the normal two days
3. Once I had my wife leave my car in Portland on her trip to California with a friend. I told her leave it in a garage. No she found a surface place to park free. when I got to Portland car window was broken and my change clothes etc. were gone. No shower wind blowing thru side window on 200 miles home
4.One year they offered a bus ride back the next year I checked if I needed to sign up before hand. No need it wasn't full last year. I got in with only my bike and me. there was a long line just to sign up. I went to parking area and got a ride half way. got a motel and rode in the rain the last 100 miles on Monday
5. Took the train home once. tat worked

JAGI410
07-12-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm planning my 2014 vacation around doing this ride next year.

CaptStash
07-12-2013, 11:04 PM
I did the one day ride a couple of years ago. The first half was very fast but nerve wracking with giants Pacelinespin filled with riders of questionable ability. The second half was much harder with rolling hills, but by then you're hanging with only one day riders, and they all had much better skills. A long day on the bike, but lots of fun.

It's usually right around my wife's birthday, so I don't do it. Maybe next year....

CaptStash....

KidWok
07-13-2013, 12:57 AM
It's a big ride...I did one-day back in 2010 and saw a few crashes. Just be careful and don't follow wheels you don't trust and vice versa.

Tai

irideslow8401
07-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Have fun...Did 1 day last year too. :)

find the train with similar pace for your need since you will be tired after Long View bridge.. Rolling hills are not as easy as others said. The first 6 hours is fairly easy..but started to get harder after mile 130..and butt hurt :).not crazily difficult but have to learn to avoid non experience riders who had no idea how to ride with the train. Don't stay long at first food stop in Kent since 2 days riders pull in and slow up the line...after 70 miles are all 1 day riders...more experience and stronger pace...know your limit and don't go all out.

OperaLover
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
This is my 8th or 9th STP. Finished in almost exactly 13 hours including food stops. Tailwinds most of the way with temps in the low 80s. Averages about 18.8; not bad for an old (51 yo) man. Stayed out of trouble; no crashes no flats.

TheEnglish
07-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Congrats OperaLover,
I didn't see your thread until today, I did the ride for the first time this year. I started at 5:00 am and finished at 5:00 pm, so I am guessing I didn't see you, I think I would have remembered a Pinarello

The weather was great (especially for the one day crowd as Sunday felt quite a bit warmer, thought it looked like they had a better tailwind at the finish).

I had a great time, but was a sketched out for the first 10-15 miles, there seemed to be some serious crashes, I hope everyone is ok. I pushed past the Kent stop to create a little separation, and it was well worth it.

OperaLover
07-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Congrats OperaLover,
I didn't see your thread until today, I did the ride for the first time this year. I started at 5:00 am and finished at 5:00 pm, so I am guessing I didn't see you, I think I would have remembered a Pinarello

The weather was great (especially for the one day crowd as Sunday felt quite a bit warmer, thought it looked like they had a better tailwind at the finish).

I had a great time, but was a sketched out for the first 10-15 miles, there seemed to be some serious crashes, I hope everyone is ok. I pushed past the Kent stop to create a little separation, and it was well worth it.

Congratulations to you. too. My goal was 12 hours total, but I missed most of the early pacelines (and crashes!). Rode most of it solo in and out of groups.

TheEnglish
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Congratulations to you. too. My goal was 12 hours total, but I missed most of the early pacelines (and crashes!). Rode most of it solo in and out of groups.

Thanks. I was able to share some work with a few folks in the first half, but I was pretty particular about who I worked with. After Centralia, it was slim pickings and I did most of the work on my own. I think working in a paceline really makes a difference. I was feeling pretty fresh after 100 miles, which sounds absurd. I would say if you did 13 hours on your own, you could do 12 hours with those early pacelines, just be choosey if you decide to give it a go next year, some of those folks aren't up on the group riding skills.

I highly recommend RAMROD if you haven't ridden that. It is a beautiful ride and adds in some great climbs.

irideslow8401
07-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Congrats to both.. 12-13 hours including rests is "very fast". i should learn to ride with you all sometime in Lk Wash loop. I signed up but backed out this year due to hip flexor injury..

CaptStash
07-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Getting to be time to do a PacNW/Seattle Paceline ride?

CaptStash....

AngryScientist
07-15-2013, 07:43 PM
great achievement. 13 hrs is cookin for 200 miles IMO. nice work.

no pictures?

KidWok
07-15-2013, 08:01 PM

CaptStash....

I'd be down for that...

Tai

OperaLover
07-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I'd be down for that...

Tai

Let's do it!

TheEnglish
07-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I'd be game. I am new to the forum, but am always looking for more people to ride with.
-e

irideslow8401
07-16-2013, 01:23 PM
i'd love to join as well. But can only do limited miles since i try not to aggravate my hip. Any tips of stretching or treatments will be appreciated.

KidWok
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=132984

Took the liberty of starting a new thread to discuss a Seattle Paceline ride. You're all welcomed to join the ones I lead for work and I'd love to set one up for mid-week evenings.

Tai

JAGI410
02-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Bump, registration opened this morning for non-members. I just registered.

jlwdm
02-04-2014, 06:05 PM
JAGI410, I don't know whether to thank you or not, but I did sign up. Hoping this will give me a goal to get me out on the bike more and lose some weight.

Rode the one day in 1988 and 2008 and the two day in 2007. My next plan for STP was 2028, but what the heck.

I have a Spectrum in Seattle looking for some miles. Got it from Tom 3 1/2 years ago? or longer? The bike only has about 50 miles on it. Just sitting in storage. Actually that reminds me it is at a bike shop, and I need to have my wife go pick it up.

Jeff

Edit: good start today as I went out for a short ride at 8:45 p.m.

gianni
02-04-2014, 09:32 PM

CaptStash....

Let's do it.

JAGI410
02-04-2014, 10:59 PM
JAGI410, I don't know whether to thank you or not, but I did sign up. Hoping this will give me a goal to get me out on the bike more and lose some weight.

Good plan, that's my hope too!

rcnute
02-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Have a good time! I started doing it eight years ago or so. Did the one-day for a few years then switched to two so we could camp out. I recommend going past Chehalis and camping at what I think is the junior high in Winlock. Have a burger and beer at Frank's. We just had sleeping bags and it was fine. It's a damn long ride to get breakfast though.

Ryan

JAGI410
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Well my riding buddy didn't register, or buy a bike...and I made the dumb wager with myself that if he didn't ride, I'd go for the one-day option. Training starts now!

makoti
05-14-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm doing this (for the third time) as a one day. So who else is going? I'm coming in from DC for it.

TheEnglish
05-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I am out for this year as my wife and I will be newly minted parents. I did it last year in one day solo. It was fun, but the last half was tough as you find yourself alone for much of the time. I must say I prefer RAMROD to STP, but there aren't many rides that are as successful as STP, it has gotten so many people into biking, I loved hearing those stories from folks as I was getting geared up for the ride and even during the ride. For anyone who reads this and is doing the ride for the first time, the first 15 miles are extremely treacherous. The road is full of riders who, for the most part, aren't great bike handlers. Just remember it isn't a race and you have a long way to go so protect yourself over trying to get those 15 miles under your belt. The ride thins out quite a bit by Renton. Most importantly, have fun.

cnighbor1
05-15-2014, 05:23 PM
If I was doing the STPI I would consider continuing south of Portland for more great riding in Oregon Look at those photos posted on this web site today
Oregon must have some the greatest riding for a western state
Look at cycle Oregon web site to see many great 7 days routes
Charles