PDA

View Full Version : We will never believe

cnighbor1
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
We will never believe that in sports the winner wasn't using drugs. Now that we know that drugs were used in professional sports in the past and it resulted in a win for the user. We can never accept in the future that even with new modern drugs testing methods being used that there isn't out there a new drug that is undetectable and is being used successfully.

e-RICHIE
07-12-2013, 05:16 PM
We will never believe that in sports the winner wasn't using drugs. Now that we know that drugs were used in professional sports in the past and it resulted in a win for the user. We can never accept in the future that even with new modern drugs testing methods being used that there isn't out there a new drug that is undetectable and is being used successfully.

Charles - what do you mean now? Are you just picking up on all of this? I know you're on the CR list, and have been for a long time. You think for a minute that the now is any different than the then when those classic bicycles were used? PEDs have been part of the peloton from the earliest eras. The recent generations don't have the franchise on any of this.

jr59
07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
This is very true in any sport.

Look at the Davis guy from Bal this year. 34 HRs at the all star break, but some will believe he is doped up.

The innocence in our minds may be for ever lost!

It's not a bad thing, at least not to me, as I have look at sports as entertainment for a long time now!

soulspinner
07-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Charles - what do you mean now? Are you just picking up on all of this? I know you're on the CR list, and have been for a long time. You think for a minute that the now is any different than the then when those classic bicycles were used? PEDs have been part of the peloton from the earliest eras. The recent generations don't have the franchise on any of this.

+1 we all knew

merlincustom1
07-13-2013, 05:47 AM
I'm thinking the OP could just as easily have said "since" instead of "now" and wasn't precise in his word choice. I don't think he woke up yesterday and realized that drug use is (was?) rampant in the peloton.

verticaldoug
07-13-2013, 06:20 AM
MLB has hired a former 'secret service' head to look into doping use of players. I think this is driven by MLB Owners needing dirt to get rid of some expensive older players with long term contracts needing voiding. (read A-Rod)

You can look at Women's track and field records. I guess at most 2 are clean, maybe zero. Men's is harder to quantify as the bump in performance might not be as great.

In the equestrian show jumping world, there was a vet who whipped up a drug combo called Carolina's Gold. It technically was not on a banned list so everyone started using it on the Winter Circuit. The drug use was so bad, eventually enough people complained the USEF changed the rule and it was made into the spirit and purpose instead of a banned list.

I see very little difference between being give a TUE for drug use and just straight doping. It is time to make this legal. Pro sports is about money and entertainment. If you want pure sport, maybe you can go watch high school. NCAA dropped the ball a long time ago.

Tony T
07-13-2013, 06:27 AM
MLB has hired a former 'secret service' head to look into doping use of players. I think this is driven by MLB Owners needing dirt to get rid of some expensive older players with long term contracts needing voiding. (read A-Rod)

Doping Inquiry Has Baseball Playing Tough (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/sports/baseball/doping-inquiry-has-baseball-playing-tough.html?pagewanted=2&hp)
The players’ union denounced the disclosures this week, saying they interfere “with the thoroughness and credibility” of the investigation. The union repeated a message it had issued earlier, saying it would be “unfortunate if anyone prejudged the outcome of the investigation” based on the “unsubstantiated leaks.”

Some critics have suggested that the information Bosch supplies to baseball is compromised because, in exchange for his cooperation, the league has offered to help him with other potentially outstanding legal issues stemming from the clinic.

Some independent doping experts remain skeptical that baseball is ready to take significant action against its stars. Charles Yesalis, an expert on performance-enhancing drugs, said, “I find it very difficult to come to the conclusion that they are going to have some ‘Saturday night massacre’-type investigation.”

laupsi
07-13-2013, 06:31 AM
This is very true in any sport.

Look at the Davis guy from Bal this year. 34 HRs at the all star break, but some will believe he is doped up.

The innocence in our minds may be for ever lost!

It's not a bad thing, at least not to me, as I have look at sports as entertainment for a long time now!

Chris Davis homered again last night. Set a team record for the amount of RBIs knocked in before the All-Star Break and may set a new HR record for the team by the season's end. BTW, he's not doping, he plays for Baltimore! :)

The guy who is really impressing me and the rest of the baseball world is Manny Machado. Manny could possibly be the best 3rd baseman to have played the game. Time will tell!

jr59
07-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Chris Davis homered again last night. Set a team record for the amount of RBIs knocked in before the All-Star Break and may set a new HR record for the team by the season's end. BTW, he's not doping, he plays for Baltimore! :)

The guy who is really impressing me and the rest of the baseball world is Manny Machado. Manny could possibly be the best 3rd baseman to have played the game. Time will tell!

I'm not picking on Davis. I think he is great. The Orioles have been fun to watch, in fact that whole division is pretty fun to watch.

Just using him as an example of how we will now always question the stars of sport.

As far as Machado goes, well... There is #5 he has to pass before he becomes the best at 3rd. I think that guy has that # retired in Baltimore.:)

Rada
07-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm not picking on Davis. I think he is great. The Orioles have been fun to watch, in fact that whole division is pretty fun to watch.

Just using him as an example of how we will now always question the stars of sport.

As far as Machado goes, well... There is #5 he has to pass before he becomes the best at 3rd. I think that guy has that # retired in Baltimore.:)

I really don't like that #5 guy. He almost single handily killed my Reds in the '70 WS. He was something to watch though and they did not call him "The Human Vacuum Cleaner" for nothing.

laupsi
07-13-2013, 08:34 AM

yes indeed, good ole Brooksie, can't say enough about his attributes. totally agee w/you on that. don't know how much you view the Orioles but Mr Machado does at times portrey a very young BR but on, dare I say it, steriods. (disclaimer, despite the topic from the OP, I'm just using the maxim here, not trying to insinuate anything about MM)

As for my comment about CD and our beloved Orioles; I seem to recall another power hitting bird who claimed never to used but in the end turned out to be all too shallow - Rafael Palmeiro.

93legendti
07-13-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm missing something. Doping in sports has been going on forever and a day- and in cycling for more than 80 years:

"Henri Pélissier, Francis Pélissier, Charles Pélissier of France. In 1924, following their abandon of the Tour de France, the first real drug scandal arose when the Pélissier brothers gave an extraordinary interview to journalist Albert Londres. They said that they used strychnine, cocaine, chloroform, aspirin, "horse ointment" and others drugs to keep going. The story was published in 'Le Petit Parisien' under the title 'Les Forçats de la Route' ('The Convicts of the Road'). Francis is reported as saying "In short, we run on dynamite." Henri is reported as saying "Do you know how we keep going? Look, this is cocaine, chloroform, too. And pills? You want to see pills? Here are three boxes - We run on dynamite." Francis Pélissier said much later: "Londres was a famous reporter but he didn't know about cycling. We kidded him a bit with our cocaine and our pills." Even so, the Tour de France in 1924 was no picnic.[15][16][17][18] See Doping at the Tour de France - The Convicts of the Road.
1930s[edit]

1930[edit]
The acceptance of drug-taking in the Tour de France was so complete by 1930 that the rule book, distributed by Henri Desgrange, reminded riders that drugs would not be provided by the organisers.[19]
1940s[edit]

1949[edit]
Fausto Coppi of Italy admitted in a television interview in 1952 that he used 'la Bomba' as there was no alternative if you wanted to remain competitive. This referred to amphetamines, which had been developed for military use during World War II to keep aircrew, merchant seamen and submariners awake, alert and energetic. After the war they found a ready market among endurance sportsmen.[17] Coppi also said, "One day I will take the wrong pill and pedal backward."[20] He also joked on camera that he only took drugs when absolutely necessary, which is nearly always.[21][22]"

Why do you use the word "we?

fourflys
07-13-2013, 12:04 PM
I really have to say I don't even think about it... I can appreciate how for some that have raced clean at the top level or sponsor teams at an elite level how this can be so frustrating. But, for me, I just don't think about it I guess... I enjoy watching the sport... it would be nice if I knew all the racers were clean, but in the end I'll still watch the race...

I guess I kind of chalk it up to when I race cross... since I race Cat 4, we often get a lot of sandbaggers or people from other classes using our class to warm up... (like really good juniors that race the Cat 4 as well) It's a little frustrating to have these guys blow by me and know they belong in a different class, but I still enjoy my race because I know at my level of "expertise" I won't be sniffing the podium anytime soon... one day if I get good enough to be a threat to the podium, I'll probably feel different...