PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit scarier than Mr. Squirrel

twangston73
07-12-2013, 03:32 PM
http://www.adn.com/2013/07/11/2971482/idaho-cyclist-reflects-on-scary.html

:eek:

Lurch
07-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Not going to lie, if I was biking across Alaska or Canada, I think I would have a pistol with me. Crazy story!

tiretrax
07-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Not going to lie, if I was biking across Alaska or Canada, I think I would have a pistol with me. Crazy story!

I wonder what Contador would have done!

Seriously, I would have nothing less than a 44 mag. if I were crossing the Yukon on a bike.

Nags&Ducs
07-12-2013, 10:03 PM

You'd be a fool not to pack heat. My S&W 45 would be on a shoulder holster-no doubt in mind.

Mr. Squirrel
07-13-2013, 07:20 AM
silly wolf. you do not chase, you intercept with ziggy-zaggy proficiency! nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

nighthawk
07-13-2013, 08:17 AM
The OPs link is dead, but I found the story here:

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news/30151643-76/wolf-hollan-bike-klassen-cyclist.html.csp

At first, Hollan tried to out-race the wolf, but the predator reeled him in with the ease of a peloton erasing the lead of a dope-free breakaway rider.

Yikes.

Jaq
07-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Dunno how easy it would be to get a pistol from the lower 48 to Alaska. Can't legally drive it through Canada. Can you pack a pistol in your checked luggage as long as you declare it? Do airlines/Homeland Security still allow that?

A couple bush pilots I know don't bother with pistols; they carry 12-gauge pumps chambered for the 3-inch mags, and alternate deer slugs and double-ought. But they're worried about the big bears.

fourflys
07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
did you read the part about the wolf still attacking his panniers even after he was in the RV? Wow.... and I live up here!

BTW- don't ever try to pack a handgun through Canada... now, Alaska is a little looser on that...

learningtoride
07-13-2013, 12:53 PM

nighthawk
07-13-2013, 01:13 PM
5 or 6 years ago I had a coyote come out of the woods and run alongside me for 30 meters or so. It was quite amazing and It never crossed my mind that it was dangerous at all. Looking back now, I wonder if it was sizing me up for a possible meal? Probably just checking out the sweet Colnago Master light I had at the time.

learningtoride
07-13-2013, 01:18 PM

jtakeda
07-13-2013, 01:48 PM
5 or 6 years ago I had a coyote come out of the woods and run alongside me for 30 meters or so. It was quite amazing and It never crossed my mind that it was dangerous at all. Looking back now, I wonder if it was sizing me up for a possible meal? Probably just checking out the sweet Colnago Master light I had at the time.

The coyote would've attacked if the bike had shimano. ;)

MattTuck
07-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Wolf's gotta eat too.

I'm actually surprised somewhat that he didn't have better luck getting away. I had always understood that 4 legged locomotion was much less efficient than 2 legged locomotion, and that predators typically had much better short range speed than long range endurance.

A bicycle has to be WAY more efficient than 4 legged.... granted, going up hill could be a problem. Also, riding a full loaded bike is probably different than riding a sub 18 pound racing machine...

fourflys
07-14-2013, 11:37 AM
well, I'm just hoping the bear bells I have on my bikes here (yes, even road bikes) help keep the bears away... thankfully, they tend not to stalk and chase you like this wolf... it can be a little interested riding on a trail alone though, just the thoughts that run through your head... ;)

KidWok
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Wow! I had wanted to do the Al-Can before I turned 40. Might have to find a place where the mammals are less Scoville-tolerant!

Tai