PDA

View Full Version : Odd Thoughts On Friday Department

SpokeValley
07-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Do any of our historian know why the drive side on our machines wound up on the right (or perhaps more properly, 'the side it's on')?

I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but, that's the way it is.

Mark McM
07-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Do any of our historian know why the drive side on our machines wound up on the right (or perhaps more properly, 'the side it's on')?

I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but, that's the way it is.

It is because most humans are right foot dominant (just like most humans are right handed, and right eye dominant).

Because of the right foot bias, when humans go to straddle something, they throw their right leg over it. That is why horses are usually mounted from the left. Likewise, bicycles are also usually mounted from the left. The bicycle drivetrain is full of moving parts that are sharp, grimy, and can easily snag clothing. Putting it on the right shields the rider from the drivetrain as they approach and mount the bicycle.

Mark McM
07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
By the way, there are some other conventions that may seem arbitrary at first, but are also largely due by the right hand/foot dominance of the human body. These include: Why threaded fasteners tighten in a clockwise direction; why NASCAR races go counter-clockwise (i.e. turn left); and where the names Port and Starboard for the sides of ships came from.

jr59
07-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I was told it was because that was the way you mounted a horse.

David Kirk
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
I thought it was because if you put it on the other side you'd go backward when you pedal...........but this tech stuff is beyond me so who knows?

dave

RedRider
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
...........but this tech stuff is beyond me so who knows?

dave

Friday's laugh...!!!

PaulE
07-13-2013, 12:55 AM
You can buy a BMX bike with the drivetrain on the left side and it will still go forward when you pedal it.

Louis
07-13-2013, 01:11 AM
You can buy a BMX bike with the drivetrain on the left side and it will still go forward when you pedal it.

But you have have to steer by looking in a mirror.