PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars on supported 525 mile ride?

radsmd
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Just signed up for the Amgen California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour, San Francisco to Los Angeles in 8 days, 525 miles. This will be my first multiday ride/tour.

Over the last year, I have switched to riding tubulars on all my road bikes and love their ride. I have a backup pair of clincher Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC that have pretty much been hanging in the garage since I switched over.

My question to those more experienced with these multiday rides: Would it be wise to ride the clinchers even though I won't enjoy the ride of the wheels/tires as much, or do I just go with one of my tubular wheel sets? I have been relatively luckly with very infrequent flats on the tubies (only 1 so far), and I will carry a spare tire as well as Vittoria pit stop on the bike. Extra tubular tires in my baggage on the truck as well.

ultraman6970
07-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Is hard to say because as you said, punctures is a mere thing of luck. One thing im sure tho... I bet you had less punctures with the tubbies than with the clinchers.

I like tubulars more than clinchers and for a ride that long probably you wont get punctures at all, if you want to play safe get heavier tubulars maybe?

Good luck .

jbrainin
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
If you can bring a second set of wheels, then I'd definitely do the trip on tubulars.

radsmd
07-11-2013, 09:54 PM
If you can bring a second set of wheels, then I'd definitely do the trip on tubulars.

I was indeed planning on bringing a second set. The tubulars will most likely be what I will ride unless everybody tells me that I'd be foolish to do so.

radsmd
07-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Is hard to say because as you said, punctures is a mere thing of luck. One thing im sure tho... I bet you had less punctures with the tubbies than with the clinchers.

I like tubulars more than clinchers and for a ride that long probably you wont get punctures at all, if you want to play safe get heavier tubulars maybe?

Good luck .

Far fewer flats on the tubulars than clinchers. Although a good thought regarding heavier duty tubulars, I would hate the less smooth and supple ride compared to my current vittorias.

ultraman6970
07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
If that factory was still in business and were available in the US too I would advice the 280 grams alvarez tubulars. Really heavy duty training tubular that the only way to kill them was just cut them yourself with a knife (no kidding), Never seen a tubular as tough as that one, sadly the company closed like 20 years ago.

Maybe a Paris-rubaux type if tubular will do just fine but those are super expensive. I would ride with my 3x50 bucks and take 1 pair in the bag with my underwear just in case, i thrust them that much.

Jaq
07-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Bring a second set of wheels (with sew-ups mounted) and a second set of sew-ups. Bring a couple rolls of Tufo tape and a couple cans of Vittoria Pit Stop.

Doing the coast road, you might consider running 25s, either in the Conti Gatorskin Sprinters or the new Vittoria Corsa Elites. I've been on the Corsa Elites lately and have to say I like 'em. Running about 85/90 psi.

They're still light, responsive on the climbs, corner quite well, and have a softer - but not mushy - ride at those pressures. They've also got a butyl inner-tube, meaning they'll hold pressure longer than the higher-end Vittorias. If that comes at a cost of performance or comfort, I haven't noticed it.

To be completely honest, I did flat the rear the other day, but that was due to riding off-road and slashing the sidewall on a sharp rock. Took it home, unstitched it, patched the inner-tube, sewed it all back up and 200 miles later, it's still going gangbusters.

professerr
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Start with some sweet tubulars, but bring the extra set of clinchers with some big fat 25s or 28s. If you get lucky, you'll ride tubulars the whole way. If you flat, switch to clinchers, and you'll not have to worry at all the rest of the ride that you'll flat that wheel again and run out of mounted tires. Pit stop is iffy in my experience and riding on an unglued tubular is just a stop gap solution that will kill your buzz.

Louis
07-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Why not an extra set of tubulars and an extra unmounted tire? If you flat you switch wheels, then that night you have time glue on the extra tire on the original wheel. The odds of getting two flats would have to be minuscule, but even so, you'd be ready.

Wow, tubulars really are a bigger hassle, aren't they?

fogrider
07-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Why not an extra set of tubulars and an extra unmounted tire? If you flat you switch wheels, then that night you have time glue on the extra tire on the original wheel. The odds of getting two flats would have to be minuscule, but even so, you'd be ready.

Wow, tubulars really are a bigger hassle, aren't they?

+1, I'm willing to bet you won't get any flats on the ride!

Scuzzer
07-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Ride whatever puts the biggest smile on your face, life is too short to worry about every possible problem. With a spare on you and an extra set of wheels you won't have any issues you can't overcome.

cat6
07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

Hardlyrob
07-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Ride the tubbies - bring the extra wheels and one extra tire. You would need to have 3 flats in 525 miles to go through all that. How many flats have you had in the last 525 miles? Me - none in the past three years - there was one TdF team a couple of years ago that had no flats in the entire tour - on tubulars - 9 guys; 2,500 miles = tubulars with no flats for 22,500 miles.

Ride what you like - life's too short to ride bad tires.

Rob

FlashUNC
07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Ride the tubbies - bring the extra wheels and one extra tire. You would need to have 3 flats in 525 miles to go through all that. How many flats have you had in the last 525 miles? Me - none in the past three years - there was one TdF team a couple of years ago that had no flats in the entire tour - on tubulars - 9 guys; 2,500 miles = tubulars with no flats for 22,500 miles.

Rob

Gah! Don't jinx yourself man! First rule of flats....don't talk about when you last got a flat...

radsmd
07-12-2013, 09:14 AM
gah! Don't jinx yourself man! First rule of flats....don't talk about when you last got a flat...

lol!

radsmd
07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Feeling much more excited about riding tubulars after all these replies and advice.

So, vittoria pit stop, extra tire, extra tubular wheelset would probably be enough. Extra clincher wheelset as a backup to the backup would be a little overboard but not a horrible idea.

KidWok
07-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Feeling much more excited about riding tubulars after all these replies and advice.

So, vittoria pit stop, extra tire, extra tubular wheelset would probably be enough. Extra clincher wheelset as a backup to the backup would be a little overboard but not a horrible idea.

Congrats and thanks for your support of the Arthritis Foundation! I direct The Amgen People's Coast Classic, a sister event in Oregon. I'd say you'll be fine on tubulars as long as you bring a spare. Most events like this will cater to whatever the rider wants to use. If you bring an extra wheel set, you'll be ahead of the game.

On long rides like these, I think you should ride whatever makes you happy because that's a long time to be on a bike with stuff that doesn't make you happy.

Tai

radsmd
07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Congrats and thanks for your support of the Arthritis Foundation! I direct The Amgen People's Coast Classic, a sister event in Oregon. I'd say you'll be fine on tubulars as long as you bring a spare. Most events like this will cater to whatever the rider wants to use. If you bring an extra wheel set, you'll be ahead of the game.

On long rides like these, I think you should ride whatever makes you happy because that's a long time to be on a bike with stuff that doesn't make you happy.

Tai

I had a hard time deciding between the California tour and the Oregon tour. In the end, I chose the Ca tour since it was a little easier to travel to, since I'm in San Diego. Maybe I'll do the Oregon tour next year.

ultraman6970
07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm lucky like Hardlyrob, my record w/no flats using tubulars is like 4 years, I was retiring tubulars because they were just too old.

KidWok
07-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I had a hard time deciding between the California tour and the Oregon tour. In the end, I chose the Ca tour since it was a little easier to travel to, since I'm in San Diego. Maybe I'll do the Oregon tour next year.

Both are great...The North Carolina ride just finished its second year. We're heading into our fourth.

You'll meet Bear Thompson at the CCC most likely...he's done both all three rides now. A few years ago, he told me the California ride is the wine crowd and the Oregon ride is the beer crowd...pretty accurate cultural observation. Otherwise, we're very similar.

In case you're interested, Bear's numbers from the year that he did both rides, including riding from the end of our ride in Brookings, OR to San Francisco for the start of CCC.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/407883_10150480271611324_233988446_n.jpg

Tai

simple
07-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Put Stan's or some other liquid latex before, as 'prep' or preventative, and take some PitStop with you. You'll be fine. Anything those two (and a hand pump) can't take care of would likely ruin any clincher out there as well.

sohasm67
07-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Challenge Paris-Roubaix tubulars will work great

gngroup
07-18-2013, 05:06 PM
You could also opt for Vittoria Pave Tubulars. Great puncture resistance and a 24mm width should be perfect for long days in the saddle!

radsmd
07-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the great advise. I put the clinchers on for a couple of training rides and it is just amazing how much of a difference it makes as far as ride quality is concerned. I'm sure that the difference in wheel build, rim weight, etc makes a difference also, but the clinchers just felt rough and unforgiving.

I'm looking forward to this ride, on tubulars.

kestrel
07-18-2013, 06:28 PM
20 some years ago I did a ride across NC from the Tenn border to Nags Head. Four days total travel time on the bike. Rode a set of tubulars on Campy hubs and Araya rims. I got one flat the whole ride and it was pulling into a gravel lot for a lunch stop. I rolled a spare tubular on and finished the day. That evening I tried to pull it off to squeeze in more glue. I gave up on adding fresh glue when I had a difficult time getting the new tire to begin to come off the rim. That tire stayed on the rim until the following year when it was worn out and needed replacement.
I've been riding clinchers ever since, but now you've got me remembering what a great ride tubulars produce. I may have get my old set out of the closet and ride them a bit.

kestrel
07-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Both are great...The North Carolina ride just finished its second year. We're heading into our fourth.

You'll meet Bear Thompson at the CCC most likely...he's done both all three rides now. A few years ago, he told me the California ride is the wine crowd and the Oregon ride is the beer crowd...pretty accurate cultural observation. Otherwise, we're very similar.

In case you're interested, Bear's numbers from the year that he did both rides, including riding from the end of our ride in Brookings, OR to San Francisco for the start of CCC.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/407883_10150480271611324_233988446_n.jpg

Tai

Hey KW I think you switched the Km and the Mi columns.

Road Fan
07-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Why not just ride tubulars, but bring two or more spares if you're insecure about flats, and a roll or two of Tufo tape if your spares do not stay in place after you install one.

It's better than sewing tubulars by the campfire ...

pbarry
07-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Bring three spares just to be sure. Easy insurance. When I was a messenger, I only rode tubies. My co-workers rode clinchers, and got an average of 7-10 flats a week, (back in the day when Manhattan and inner Brooklyn were littered with broken glass). I averaged 2 flats a week. Rode home, got out the needle/dental floss/glue and fixed 'em before dinner.

My worst day was flatting twice, with the second coming late in the day, (having used the one spare I carried), and I was able to pump it up every mile or so and get the job done and get home.

You'll be fine and feel fresher at the end of the day with tubulars. We expect a report, post ride. :hello:

palincss
07-19-2013, 02:54 PM

Rob

The only supported tour that I've been on that's remotely comparable is Bike Virginia, which I've done 10 times. There's simply no way you could transport a second set of wheels with your luggage on Bike Virginia. One suitcase, and that's it. How would the OP manage the logistics of transporting a second set of wheels?

palincss
07-19-2013, 02:56 PM

So, now we're considering bringing FOUR extra wheels in addition to your regular luggage? Does a Redcap come with that?

radsmd
07-19-2013, 03:27 PM
The only supported tour that I've been on that's remotely comparable is Bike Virginia, which I've done 10 times. There's simply no way you could transport a second set of wheels with your luggage on Bike Virginia. One suitcase, and that's it. How would the OP manage the logistics of transporting a second set of wheels?

True, this ride would not carry your extra gear for you either. I was able to get my wonderful wife to volunteer for the Arthritis Foundation during the ride, so she will be driving from campsite to campsite everyday, following the ride. So, she will be carrying the extra wheels and tires. Even without that, I think it would be ok riding with a few spare tires and the pitstop. The extra wheels are just extra insurance.

avalonracing
07-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Sure you might be fine but all it takes is one rural high school party and you could have glass on the shoulders for 20 miles straight.

bambam
07-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Take it all if possible. Two sets of wheels and 3 extra tubies and all the glue I need.

Sniff the glue if all that fails. :no:

Don't or do take me seriously. I take extra pedals on brevets and pack extra pedals in my drop bags. I also carried an extra seatpost on a 1200k(Because when I was packing my bike I noticed a crack or deep scratch on the one I was using).

Truthfully,Someone broke a pedal on a brevet once and my friends ahead joked with the guy to ask me becasue I used the same pedals. (I was coming up the road behind them). They shook their heads and were a little surprized when I had the extra pedal for him to use.

Have fun on the ride and it looks like more than a few people are expecting a ride report.:)