PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's opinion, please...

SoCalSteve
12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

So, I am expecting my Pegoretti Big Leg Emma in the next month or two and I just placed a deposit on a Kirk. I have an all carbon bike, an all Ti bike and a 1/2 carbon-1/2 Ti bike as well. So, if I decide to keep my CSI, I'd have 3 steel bikes. Peg, Kirk, CSI. (and 3 Serotta's)

The Pegoretti is the ultimate in modern day steel work with its TIG welding, carbon fork and outrageous paint scheme. The Kirk is just the opposite with its lugged construction, steel fork and subtle JB paint schemes and the CSI falls somewhere in between.

OK, to get to the point: Should I sell the CSI? And, what is its worth? Since it's no longer being manufactured and it has a $500.00 custom Serotta fade paint job, does that bring the value up? Or down? It's in absolutely mint condition.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, comments, rants, flames or just thoughts.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

PS:Here is a link to a picture of it. It's been stripped of the Ultegra 10 gear and is waiting to have a D/A 10 group installed on it (if I decide to keep it).
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12558

Tailwinds
12-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Sell the CSi to me if it's a 51.5X54. :D

Really, I wouldn't sell it. How much is a piece of Serotta cycling heritage worth to you? I sense some regret coming on if you sell it... especially since you're asking this question. It's like saying, "Hey, I'm about to jump off this cliff... what do you think?" Maybe you are asking us to tell you not to jump. Ok, don't jump!

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to buy a Kirk!! How long will you have to wait?

Fixed
12-18-2005, 02:39 PM
bro i.m.h.o. if you don't need the bread don't sell it or at least wait till you get your b.l.e. but that is fine looking bike you are a wise bikie i.m.h.o. cheers merry christmas :beer:

Dr. Doofus
12-18-2005, 02:42 PM
leave the gun

take the cannoli

Smiley
12-18-2005, 02:56 PM
WAIT , till you ride all three steel bikes and then decide , my guess is the CSI will be the keeper :)

rePhil
12-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I doubt you will be able to recoup the $500 for the paint job.And lets face it most used bikes lose quit a bit of their value. I say ride it when the mood strikes.

jerk
12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
follow the jerk's model.

liquidate all your bicycles.

so you can buy these:

prada jackboots are the only way to roll.

Bill Bove
12-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I have a twelve year old son and twin daughters, now my wife is pregnent with another daughter. Should I dump the son and have all girls or since the twins are, well twins, should I lose one of them?

I have ten bikes but only one pair of pants, are my priorities alright :confused:

By the way, I really don't have any kids so don't PM me about the price of one of the twins ;)

spiderlake
12-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Keep the CSI..... she's a beauty!

SoCalSteve
12-18-2005, 04:49 PM
When Dave wrote to me and told me there is a 6-7 month wait to get one of his frames...

So, I was going to buy one over the summer, I just didnt realize that I needed to leave a deposit 6-7 months in advance!

I have all this time to figure out a paint scheme, lugs, etc...

At least with the Peg there was only geometry choices.

Steve

67-59
12-18-2005, 05:36 PM
I have ten bikes but only one pair of pants, are my priorities alright :confused:

Bill -- No, your priorities are messed up. What the heck do you need the pants for?? :)

By the way, Steve, congrats on the Kirk. The wait seems to be getting longer, but it's still worth it. I thought my 3-4 month wait would never end, but next thing you know you'll be cruising along with the same stupid smile as me....

slowgoing
12-18-2005, 06:15 PM
follow the jerk's model.

liquidate all your bicycles.

so you can buy these:

prada jackboots are the only way to roll.

Are you serious?

This raises all kinds of issues.

Dave
12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
What the heck does anyone need so many bikes for and then equipe them with ShimaNO. I'd rather have ONE really fine bike with Campy Record. I have two bikes and it's one more than I need.

steelrider
12-18-2005, 06:28 PM
If that beauty is a 60 C-C, sell it to me. I'll equip her with Campagnolo Record and enjoy a truly classic ride. Please contact me if she's a 60. Cheers!

Dr. Doofus
12-18-2005, 06:43 PM
****can the ti, carbon, and carbon-ti

keep the steel

spend the rest on this baby

mflaherty37
12-18-2005, 06:48 PM
It is a violation of discussion board member policy to sell your Csi, I command you to keep it.

SoCalSteve
12-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Wow!

First off, its a stock 62.

Secondly, does it really matter if I use Shimano over Campy? I mean, in the big scheme of things do you guys own stock in Campagnolo? Does it benefit you in any way which components I use? Will you ever ride with me and see me shifting my Dura Ace?

Anyway, I have many FINE bikes and enjoy all of them! Jealous?

This is a thread about my CSI, not the merits of one brand of drivetrain over another.

OK, I'm done ranting!

Steve

PS: Thank you 67-59..I am excited to deal with Dave and throw him my business. He has been a very generous person to me over the years with his knowledge. That deserves to be rewarded.

Dr. Doofus
12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
so you ain't gon rock the JD 2329?

you'll be the only cat in SoCal rollin the big green

(they got radios and everything)

SoCalSteve
12-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I take it that its not a hybrid, is it?

Steve

Dr. Doofus
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
gas?

its got yellow wheels, man!

Fixed
12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
bro i thought I was doing good geting a 9 -speed 600 setup .I raced all last year 8 speed cheers :beer:

93legendti
12-18-2005, 08:24 PM
You could always set one of the steel bikes up as fixie or single speed...

d_douglas
12-18-2005, 08:47 PM
That bike gives me shivers. My pining for a ti bike subsides a bit when I look at your CSI. That is what a bike should look like!

If you can finance it, do not sell it, as you may regret it. I sold a gorgeous Bontrager cyclocross bike a few years ago and still kick myself!

SPOKE
12-18-2005, 08:50 PM
What the heck does anyone need so many bikes for and then equipe them with ShimaNO. I'd rather have ONE really fine bike with Campy Record. I have two bikes and it's one more than I need.

buying/owning bikes of this level have nothing at all to do with "need". we buy them simply because we want to and can!

Tom Byrnes
12-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi Steve,

You probably would not be able to sell your beautiful CSi for anywhere near what you have into it. So, my biased opinion is: If you don't have to sell your bike, . . . don't.

Tom

jerk
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Are you serious?

This raises all kinds of issues.

like a heart attack-

those boots are some benito mussollini meets liberace style eye-talian awesome ish. think about the sinatra and tail thing....

CalfeeFly
12-18-2005, 09:52 PM
High end bikes all have their own unique ride. I like switching bikes and enjoying the different aspects of ride.

If you ever are unfortunate enough to live in the world of snow you have a bike to leave in the trainer. It is more convenient.

Now the big reason...

You never get anywhere near what the bike is worth to you or what you have in it. The only way I've ever sold a fine bike was to find it a good home, with somebody who really wanted a good bike but couldn't afford it. (Usually it is someone with a young family or a crap job.) Then I'll part with it knowing it will be get the proper care and will make someone happy. Plus I've helped make a friend's life better and happier.

slowgoing
12-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Steve - Wait and ride the peg. If you still feel like selling the CSI, wait another six months and see if you still feel the same way. If you do, sell it if you feel you can get a fair price. Someone here will surely appreciate the heck out of it, and that's a good thing.

On the other hand, you have a different perspective than me. I never compare or analyze based upon how many I have of a certain frame material (three steel so one should go...). Each stands on its own two wheels based upon how it rides regardless of material or how it's made (welded, lugged, who cares?). I just rank them. Below a certain point and it has to go.

SoCalSteve
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
First off, I do not have to sell the CSI or any other bike for financial reasons. The reasons would be that I have too many of the same "style".

But, as many of you have pointed out, who cares about that...And yes, you are all 100% correct.

I will keep the CSI through my getting and riding both the Pegoretti and the Kirk. If I still feel that I have one too many of the same "style" I will decide then.

For now, I will build it up and enjoy riding it again. BTW, it is a great riding bike and I spent many a happy mile on it training last summer.

Again, thank you all for all of your opinions. They are all truly appreciated (except for the ones about the Shimano vs Campy. Does it really matter? as long as we are happy with waht we ride???).

Steve

CalfeeFly
12-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Again, thank you all for all of your opinions. They are all truly appreciated (except for the ones about the Shimano vs Campy. Does it really matter? as long as we are happy with waht we ride???). Steve

I couldn't agree more. To me it shows a lack of true knowledge since they both work quite well and both of them have their own stengths. I've never understood why it continues to come up.

Man...I wish I were in Southern Calfornia right now! Do you have any extra bedroom? :)

SoCalSteve
12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Funny you should bring this up...

My 3 bedroom house was going to have a bedroom, an office and a bike room....Well, a wife came along and spoiled the "bike room". Seems that she needs a room of her own and the bikes need to be stored in the garage.

So, eventually all the bikes made it back in the house (hallway, living room, dining room, bedroom) and when I bought the Y-Foil 2 weeks ago, my wife (in her very polite manner) said that I can have as many bikes as I want, as long as only 2 stay in the house at any given time.

So, I have 6 places in the garage (hanging) and another 2 (well, maybe I can squeeze 3) in the house...thats 9. I have 5 now with 2 more on order. That means I can still get 2 more!!!

So, to answer your question: If you want to stay in the garage with the bikes, sure.

Steve

FierteTi52
12-19-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't get the Campy vs Shimano debate that seems to suface in threads when it is not even part of the discussion. Campy users are the ones that always start the trouble.
Jeff

andy mac
12-19-2005, 10:47 AM
who was the last camp(y) guy to win the tour? dunno, just askin'...

steve, do collect other things too, or is the gene restricted to just fancy bikes?

SoCalSteve
12-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I also collect:

Art Deco French 30's posters

Danish Modern Furniture from the 50's

Swedish Art glasss from the 50's (Holmegaard and Orrefors)

Hall China from the 20's and 30's

Persian rugs from the 20's and 30's.

and I used to collect 60's Nikon gear (but sold it all to buy a super high end digital camera) and high end watches. But that got to be just too expensive. All I have left is my Rolex Submariner.

Steve

bluesea
12-19-2005, 11:02 AM
who was the last camp(y) guy to win the tour? dunno, just askin'...

If I remember correctly, both Ulrich and Riis.

Fixed
12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
bro steve your are to cool, do you do vintage clothes too?

rphetteplace
12-19-2005, 11:07 AM
actually LA is the only guy to ever win the tour on Shimano I'm pretty sure.

Danish art glass? Small world. Guy I know goes to Denmark every couple months fills up a container of auction furniture and glass. Brings it back refinishes the furniture and sells it for big $$. Totally cool stuff and awesome way to have a house full of unique furniture.

Jeff N.
12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't get the Campy vs Shimano debate that seems to suface in threads when it is not even part of the discussion. Campy users are the ones that always start the trouble.
JeffIt's because Campy superiority is a thing of the past. Dura Ace 7800 is responsible for that, and Campy users are very PAINFULLY aware of that fact. So they keep throwing stuff out there that falls on the deaf ears of those who know better. I guess it eases the pain somehow. It's a square-tapered thing. Sad, really.... Jeff N.

SoCalSteve
12-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Nah, I'm a shorts and t-shirt kinda guy...

I own one suit and break it out for weddings, funerals and Bar Mitzvah's.

Steve

Kurt
12-19-2005, 11:58 AM

I ride 4-5 times a week here in LA and cannot imagine needing more than one well put together bike - I have a spare, pretty much parted out cdale that has to be a year old and have ridden it in maybe a crit or two. I think there is something to be said for knowing one frame and what it does inside and out.

so to answer the ?, it seems like you have $ to burn and prob the room to match so keep and buy everything

SoCalSteve
12-19-2005, 12:15 PM
It has nothing to do with "need". Gee, if that were the case all I'd need was a cheap membership to a gym that offered spinning classes.

It has to do with buying all the parts "a la carte", finding the frame, finding a wheelset, making it all compatible and aesthetically pleasing then spending a day building the bike from scratch and going for a ride to the beach in the afternoon after you spent the day building it. Thats a great feeling!!!

Thats what its about, not need.

Steve

Kurt
12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
It has nothing to do with "need". Gee, if that were the case all I'd need was a cheap membership to a gym that offered spinning classes.

It has to do with buying all the parts "a la carte", finding the frame, finding a wheelset, making it all compatible and aesthetically pleasing then spending a day building the bike from scratch and going for a ride to the beach in the afternoon after you spent the day building it. Thats a great feeling!!!

Thats what its about, not need.

Steve

I really do – the build up process is cool and I enjoy doing my own wrenching, but just the thought of keeping up on more 2 bikes (mine and the gf’s) and I start to lose interest. We both put in 10+ hours a week year round and the bikes start looking pretty trashed pretty quick so if I had even more trashed looking frames to deal with it would be more time consuming and I would be riding less and cleaning more or a least I think this is how it would play out. Then factor keeping up on tires, tubes, chains, drivetrain maintenance, etc.

The other observation is the fastest most fit guys around here – the guys that really have their skills and speed down always seem to have only 1 frame, and usually just a club issue at that and they know it like the back of their hand – I would rather just know what one frame can do really well – one of my standard rides is san vicente and ocean > ascend latigo to kanan and just turn around and descend latigo – 20 miles out and back. The descent is pretty quick – I average around ~30 and is somewhat technical – if I was on a different frame all the time I am sure there is no way I could keep up with the people I often ride with – I would not have the confidence I have. My gf who also rides a legend sucks at climbing but is known for her talents descending and the same holds true for her – she does have a spare, but mainly rides the knows the legend. To me it’s all about riding and not cleaning/maintaining – but if you like to clean and polish have I got some frames for you :D

SoCalSteve
12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Cleaning isnt the most fun, but its still a part of the process.

I have different bikes (with different gearing, etc) for different tasks.

The Hors Cat is for climbing and descending more technical stuff (like Latigo) the Ottrott is for centuries and longer rides as it is longer wheels based, more comfy. The CSI, Y-Foil and Pegoretti are set up for longer flatter rides from my home in Beverlywood to Rancho Palos Verdes and back. A relatively flattish 55 mile loop.

As for being the fastest, I am no competitor, dont race, and usually, when riding with friends or my wife or coaching for endurance events, I dont even have a chance to ride that fast.

So, its not at all about practicality....Actually, it was mentioned in an earlier posting that some people buy and sell bikes to keep their interest up. I guess I can be put in that same genre.

Steve

Dr. Doofus
12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
boo, sell all that crap

don't let the jerk's urbanite sissification mess with your brain

just move down to the 803 and rock some of these with the doof:

Wayne77
12-19-2005, 09:29 PM
First off, I do not have to sell the CSI or any other bike for financial reasons. The reasons would be that I have too many of the same "style". Steve

The answer to your problem is easy. Buy two more of each: carbon, ti/carbon, and ti bikes and then you won't have "too many" steel bikes anymore (relative to the other styles you have)

Here's your shopping list:

Carbon: Parlee + Meivici

Ti/Carbon: Seven Elium + Merlin Cielo (assuming you already have an Ottrott. If not, insert the Ottrott in place of the Elium)

Ti: Bill Holland + Spectrum ti

There ya go, now you'll have an equal number of each type of bike and none of them will feel outnumbered. :cool: Then again, one can never have too many fine steel bikes so I guess there is no hope for you after all...

cs124
12-20-2005, 05:46 AM
follow the jerk's model...

man...you've got those awesome bikes AND a model? lucky b@stard

slowgoing
12-20-2005, 06:09 AM
like a heart attack-

those boots are some benito mussollini meets liberace style eye-talian awesome ish. think about the sinatra and tail thing....

Prada is a chick store. I didn’t even know they sold men’s stuff (they are men's boots, aren't they?). Do like we all do when your wife goes in - sit in the chair by the door. This moment will pass – you’re not eyetalian and you probably don’t ride horses.