PDA

View Full Version : Storing a bike outdoors in a car.

Dromen
07-10-2013, 11:17 PM
What happens to a bike stored for a month,in a car, with a cover, parked outdoors, in Denver during the summer?

Get that it cant be good for tires and rubber pieces/parts...how bout components, lubricants/grease, etc? If this ends up happening, any suggested precautions?

(No, i would not do this with one of my bikes. I just hang around with some screwball riders.)

Louis
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let the air out of the tires and hope for the best.

cat6
07-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

martinez
07-11-2013, 01:28 AM
sounds crazy! I always make sure I wake up next to mine every morning.
maybe that's why I'm still single!:confused:

Peter B
07-11-2013, 01:28 AM
depends on the neighborhood.

Biggest risk.

OT, Tires might age a bit more quickly.

But might not want to try this in parts of Arizona or Death Valley mid-summer.

weiwentg
07-11-2013, 06:07 AM
depends on the neighborhood.

In Baltimore, your car would get broken into. Even in the safe parts of Baltimore, I wager.

Heck, in Northwest DC, near the Cathedral, where all the rich White folks live, my car got broken into. I had left a broken pair of Oakleys in the car.

jmpsmash
07-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Ignoring the theft issue. How's that different than riding it everyday outside? Frankly (if it were Not stolen) u probably find it in exactly the same shape, with a little less air in the tires.

xjoex
07-11-2013, 09:46 AM
If you left it at say DIA for a month in the sun with it on the roof I bet the bar tape and some other stuff would be sun faded. No rust though!

-Joe

tiretrax
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
It gets hot in Denver, so I imagine it would have an impact on the lubricants/grease and soft parts. Rent a storage locker for a month. $1 1st months rent at Public Storage, and they don't require a long term contract. Even a small one at $35 would be less than the cost of a complete tuneup.

Dromen
07-11-2013, 08:06 PM
I didn't even think about the robbery aspect.

This will be in a secure lot so not to worried bout the felons. Just the wondering what happens to a bike that sits in an enclosed car in the sun for an extended period of time.

vav
07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Just the wondering what happens to a bike that sits in an enclosed car in the sun for an extended period of time.

:no:
http://www.deuceofdavenport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/BurningBike.jpg

vqdriver
07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
ever wonder what a bike smells like?
you know. you just don't know you know.
when you open the door, you're whole car will smell of a very familiar mix of rubber, grease, and adhesives.

and oh yeah. any upholstery the pedal or handlebar or whatever was resting on will now forever have a dimple in that spot.

Llewellyn
07-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Given that temperatures in a locked car in a hot place in the middle of summer could reach over 60 degrees C you could assume that any grease is going to liquefy and create a hell of a mess.

That's assuming the bike didn't get stolen first (which is probably far more likely in most places)

Louis
07-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Given that temperatures in a locked car in a hot place in the middle of summer could reach over 60 degrees C you could assume that any grease is going to liquefy and create a hell of a mess.

It won't be that bad if the car is shaded by a cover. Also, the grease on car seat-rails seems to make it through summer just fine. I bet bike grease will also survive.

Peter B
07-12-2013, 12:27 AM
If the car will be in a secure dry place then just crack the windows an inch or so and it'll be fine. Throw a sheet or something over it to keep it out of sight.

cyclemad
09-03-2013, 10:07 AM
I assumed you always let the air out of the tires whenever you store it for any length of time. Is it worth the bother?