PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trouble at the dentist

Cat3roadracer
07-10-2013, 08:30 PM
This is kind of embarrassing, but I need assistance.

I recently broke a piece of a back tooth. I need a crown. Never having had a need I had no idea of the procedure. I went to the dentist, which we love, and he sticks a piece of putty in my mouth to make an imprint. The putty was the size if a rolled up sock - GAG. I thought that would be an isolated instance.

So that part is done. Next comes the drill, which is an acceptable size, but the suction thing is the size of a Thomson seat post, the mountain bike size. Severe GAG again.

The dentist stops - "we are not going to be able to do this. I will install a temporary filling. Call me when it falls out."

It fell out last Friday. Like impending doom, I need to get this fixed correctly but do not know what to do. I do not take medication if any kind, not that I object, I just have not had the need thus far. I would not know what to take.

Any folks out there had a similar situation? Or might a genuine dentist chime in with a recommendation?

Thanks very much in advance.

Dave

MattTuck
07-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Why couldn't he do it? Because of an issue with your tooth? or because you were gagging?

If you can't get over someone working in your mouth.... you may consider sedation dentistry. It is expensive, but for some people it is the only way they can have stuff done.

christian
07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Does he ride a Legend or Ottrott?

Cat3roadracer
07-10-2013, 08:34 PM
He's a runner, but his brother is on my team.

BryanE
07-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Find a decent dentist.
I'm old with five crowns.
NEVER had anything like that happen.

texbike

Yes, but it has a 54 cm sloping top tube, 38 cm seat tube (c-t), and a 20 cm head tube.... :rolleyes:

Cat3, good luck! I wish I had some good advice for you. :(

Texbike

SoCalSteve
You may want to ask him for something like Ativan. I know dentists give this to patients that are having a hard time relaxing...

Also, what works for me is when you start to gag, wiggle your toes (I know, silly,right)...But, what happens is it takes your mind off the gagging reflex and re-focuses it on something else...It does work, I know from personal experience.

I dont think you need to feel embarrassed at all. Its a common reflex and many people have this issue...we can't all be Linda Lovelace, ya know...:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Steve

PS: Sounds like your dentist isn't the most patient man in the world AND he isnt willing to "think outside the box" to help you out...Just a thought.

sokyroadie
07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Not a Dentist, but dated one for many years and got sucked into assisting several times. I also have several crowns and have never taken any numbing medicine. If they offer nitrous it should help relax you so that you won't gag.

Jeff

onsight512
07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
'Call me when it falls out'? I'd find a different dentist.

Chris (who happens to have a temporary crown in as we speak)

Fishbike
07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I have had three crowns. I am a terrible gagger too. Really bad. But I have gotten through three root canals and the three crowns as well as regular xrays.

The dentist professionals must be patient and must make adjustements to help you out. Also, a very wise, experienced dental assistant once put salt on my tongue -- it really helped!

Your dentist sounds unreasonaly impatient and unprofessional. Go find a dentist who understands us gaggers and will stop and start as necessary. Getting a crown is not fun, but you will be happy with it if it is fit right. You should be able to get through the process without sedation or narcotics. Best of luck.

Cat3roadracer
07-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Very helpful, thanks very much.

false_Aest
07-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Yo,

I hope all the gents have now gone home and said, "I love you" or "Thank you" to their significant others.

parris
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
I had to have a crown replaced a while back and after telling my dentist that I get sketchy in the chair nerve wise he gave me something to calm me down for the day of the procedure. The sedation option was also put on the table but the added cost was more than I wanted to go.

SoCalSteve
07-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Yo,

I hope all the gents have now gone home and said, "I love you" or "Thank you" to their significant others.

Post of the day!

Hank Scorpio
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I just had a permanent crown fall out last friday. Anyone know if jb weld will hold it in so I can save a few bucks?

Peter P.
07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Putty? In your mouth? No way...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2696/4328263107_11edaefdfd_m.jpg

I feared the dentist as a kid-it's the needles.

I forced myself to face the needles, and the gagging from the suction.

I look at it as my job to be the best patient possible, that way my dentist can do the best work.

Ask your dentist, or your dental hygenist, if they have tips to help you cope with the suction. If they see you WANT to work with them, they'll be all for you.

Yes, those are my teeth up there.

bambam
07-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I have a temp crown now and am waiting on the permanent one now.
They messed up the permanent on the first try so I had to get the impressions redone.

It had been a long time since I had been to the dentist and I broke off 1/4 of my back molar about a month ago. Root canal and temp crown.

I had trouble gagging as well for the first 3 or 4 x-rays.

I concentraited on deep breathing(bike content: Just like climbing a hill) through my nose and closing my eyes.

You could also try breathing through your eyelids. Good Luck.

mosca
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
My dentist has a new system using an optical scanner and an in-house milling machine that allows him to do the whole crown procedure in one visit without the temporary crown and all the mold-making goop in your mouth. Much less invasive, and really nice quality as well. I think it's a little pricier, but totally worth it, imo.

tiretrax
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Get a new dentist. That's ridiculous.

I found out after I started using him that my dentist teaches at a dental college. If that's an option, I would go with it. He's got a great manner and a lot of patience, especially when his assistant doesn't do exactly as he asks.

I switched to him because the one I used to use would get a new Porsche each year and park it in front of the building on a pedestal-type spot.

54ny77
07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Was there a Meivici parked in the office by chance?

:p

soulspinner
07-11-2013, 03:01 PM
My dentist has a new system using an optical scanner and an in-house milling machine that allows him to do the whole crown procedure in one visit without the temporary crown and all the mold-making goop in your mouth. Much less invasive, and really nice quality as well. I think it's a little pricier, but totally worth it, imo.

Mine has been doing it this way a long time, first time he let me watch the cnc machine cut it, cool stuff.

verticaldoug
07-11-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVFygfmoaY

Bill Cosby - Dentist

The first and last word

Tom
07-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Yeah, find another dentist if he cobbed something up because you were having difficulty.

I have an issue with the needles because I've seen enough of them already. It's odd, I can inflict way more pain on myself and not mind it too much but that little tweak drives me crazy.

But what really drives me crazy is the smoke when they're drilling.

OtayBW
07-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Yo,

I would, but she ran out of Ativan, so......:(

christian
07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
But what really drives me crazy is the smoke when they're drilling.Haha, this reminds me of having laser eye surgery. When they shoot the laser, there's just a touch of a grilling fish smell. I said something like, "Holy bananas, that is awesome, that's the smell of burning cornea and salt." The nurse said, "Oh, no, the laser doesn't burn your eye." And I said, "Oh, no, I may be drugged up here, but I'm pretty sure I know how a laser works and that's definitely what that is." It was mega-cool.

dvs cycles
07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I've got such a severe gagging problem I can't even put my own fingers in my mouth without gagging.
Tried some things the dentist wanted to try and all failed.
Only thing that works for me is for him to bring in an anathesiologist (sp)
and do the intra veinous stuff.
Works great and I get to sleep through the whole thing.

charliedid
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM

!!!

Bruce K
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
My dentist is on the new "CNC" milling system as well.

No putty, so no gag there but they still need to grind away the tooth.

Sedation may be your only answer if it is so far back in your mouth that the drill makes you gag

Whatever you end up doing, find a dentist with the in-house milling option

Good luck

BK

yngpunk
07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
My dentist is on the new "CNC" milling system as well.

No putty, so no gag there but they still need to grind away the tooth.

Sedation may be your only answer if it is so far back in your mouth that the drill makes you gag

Whatever you end up doing, find a dentist with the in-house milling option

Good luck

BK

My dentist uses the E4D Dentist machine. They have a dentist finder to find dentists in your area who use the machine here:

http://www.e4d.com/e4d-dentist-finder

There are probably others.