PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly groaning BB

Elefantino
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
So now my World Class BB on the Concours is creaking, groaning and generally misbehaving. It began after we inadvertently turned onto a dirt road while riding Ashland and, like dopes, trusted our GPS that said it was asphalt. After a little over a mile we turned back to where we left the highway, but not before having ridden 2.5 miles of essentially singletrack.

It pisses me off. First time ever the BB has creaked since I put it on about five years ago.

:crap: Not sure what I did to it. But it appears to be telling me in BB language that I'm an idiot.

Good thing I'm at UBI and can work on it with professional tools after class tomorrow.

Louis
07-10-2013, 07:28 PM
It began after we inadvertently turned onto a dirt road while riding Ashland and, like dopes, trusted our GPS that said it was asphalt. After a little over a mile we turned back to where we left the highway, but not before having ridden 2.5 miles of essentially singletrack.

I wouldn't think that this would be enough to mess up a BB.

AngryScientist
07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't think that this would be enough to mess up a BB.

correct. i ride dirt roads all the time now on my geekhouse, that alone is not a BB killer.

Ralph
07-10-2013, 07:52 PM
You installed it 5 years ago? Replace it.

Cat3roadracer
07-10-2013, 08:15 PM
It may not need to be replaced, but it definitely needs to be removed, greased, and reinstalled. I use Ti-Prep on all of my BB threads regardless of the frame material. It lasts much longer than regular grease and will always come out at the end of the season.

dave thompson
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Your massive quads Mike.

Jaq
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
My BB was doing the creaky/pop-y thing lately. Pulled it, greased it, wrapped the threads in teflon tape (plumber's tape) and torqued it to the recs and it's been silent ever since.

Cat3roadracer
07-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I like the Teflon tape idea.

oldpotatoe
07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
So now my World Class BB on the Concours is creaking, groaning and generally misbehaving. It began after we inadvertently turned onto a dirt road while riding Ashland and, like dopes, trusted our GPS that said it was asphalt. After a little over a mile we turned back to where we left the highway, but not before having ridden 2.5 miles of essentially singletrack.

It pisses me off. First time ever the BB has creaked since I put it on about five years ago.

:crap: Not sure what I did to it. But it appears to be telling me in BB language that I'm an idiot.

Good thing I'm at UBI and can work on it with professional tools after class tomorrow.

Been 5 years since ya had it out, cleaned, lubed(including inside the cups(tap them off, back on)?

Also a chance to spin the spindle to see if the bearings are done.

Install cranks on DRY SPINDLE to torque..I don't care what the UBI guys say.

Elefantino
07-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Been 5 years since ya had it out, cleaned, lubed(including inside the cups(tap them off, back on)?

Also a chance to spin the spindle to see if the bearings are done.

Install cranks on DRY SPINDLE to torque..I don't care what the UBI guys say.

They say dry spindle too.

Will work on it@lunch