PDA

View Full Version : Shipping wheels... UPS or USPS?

TBDSeattle
07-10-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm shipping one rear wheel back to Chris King for bearing replacement. I've got a wheel box from my LBS. Does anyone have a suggestion for one shipping organization over another?

Thanks!

shovelhd
07-10-2013, 04:48 PM
UPS over USPS any day of the week, but my choice would be FedEx.

sokyroadie
07-10-2013, 04:54 PM
USPS over UPS any day of the week. This is definitely a YMMV thing, I have had much better/safer service from USPS.

I have more posts therefore I am to be believed.;)

Jeff

echelon_john
07-10-2013, 05:01 PM
One wheel in a 25x25x6 box is usually cheaper UPS.

2 wheels in a 25x25x12 box is usually cheaper USPS.

I ship almost all my wheels in separate boxes via UPS.

Easy peasy.

EA120711
07-10-2013, 05:09 PM
UPS over USPS any day of the week, but my choice would be FedEx.

I would do FedEx. After I losing a package with UPS and going through their claims process, i'll never ship anything through them unless it's my last resort.

aramis
07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah the way USPS works it's usually the same price to ship one or 2 wheels in a two wheel box as it is 1 wheel in a 1 wheel sized box. So if you go USPS don't bother to cut the box down.

I had to ship one wheel to Puerto Rico and it was pretty pricy USPS ($26? IIRC). I don't use UPS but if you do ship fedex use an account instead of walking into kinkos and print the label at home, it will be cheaper that way. Fedex is probably cheaper if it doesn't have to go too far.

irideslow8401
07-10-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm shipping one rear wheel back to Chris King for bearing replacement. I've got a wheel box from my LBS. Does anyone have a suggestion for one shipping organization over another?

Thanks!

USPS since i worked for them :).. just saying since people had different experience with USPS..but larger size box will be best with Fedex (bike/frame). USPS can give you parcel post rate CONUS 37 max if you use correct wheel box (the one that fit 2 wheels in)

learningtoride
07-10-2013, 05:54 PM
[

beercan
07-10-2013, 06:00 PM
fedex is usually the cheapest but ups over usps for sure, ups tracking actually works,

irideslow8401
07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
OK, I am learning more and more all the time as a newer cycling anthusiast especially from those here on the forum,but if it's one thing I really do know it's shipping. I have many years in the industry and I am going to tell you point blank... DO NOT use FEDEX GROUND service- use economy 2day- I know its more but the longer in transit the better the chances your items may be damaged. USPS has the highest theft and loss rate out of the three- UPS the best ground service- but for your money your best and safest option is always economy 2day fedex-
just my input-
good luck!:banana:

The chance of pkg being damage can happen anywhere since i know how those guys throw pkgs...:) loss rate is not full proof since the loss normally happen after delivery (stolen at front porch) and rarely lost in transit or misdeliver if you put delivery confirmation/signature confirmation. Fedex ground cost more than parcel post USPS for sure (3-5days). and most expensive is UPS. Bought tons of stuffs and Fedex did great job on frames/bikes i bought. parts being stolen at door step few times...usps and fedex but they wash their hands after dropping the pkgs at the door..

Jaq
07-10-2013, 06:56 PM
+1 for the postal service of the United States of America. Love 'em.

learningtoride
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM

bingomck
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Just shipped two wheels in one box via USPS. California to Virginia. About 30 for shipping plus insurance extra. Took a little longer than expected, and online tracking left something to be desired... But overall happy with their service.

rice rocket
07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
I use FedEx here as well for bulky items. USPS for smaller stuff.

Bkat
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Fed Ex ground would be first choice. UPS a close second. I'd base the choice largely on price. USPS would be a distant third. (Or fourth. Or fifth.) Their tracking is deplorable and, if something does go awry, they are by far the worst of the three to deal with.

lhuerta
07-11-2013, 11:40 AM
FedEx

ergott
07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
I use USPS Express for wheels. Touches fewer hands than ground and with insurance it often costs the same or less than Priority. Online labels save a lot too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pete Mckeon
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Have used fedex ground shipping coast to coast nc to ca the last few years home to hotel and then back to home. No problems

charliedid
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
FedEx

this

TBDSeattle
07-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice and insights! There were more strong feelings than I had anticipated.

I ended up going with USPS. I had a wheel box (single wheel box) that I picked up from my LBS. I shipped from Seattle (98117) to Portland (97210) using USPS ground.

Shipping cost (2-zone standard post): $8.85
Insurance ($400): $6.25
Shipped 7/11 expected delivery 7/15

I added the insurance in response to the stories that I heard here. I think that $15.10 is very reasonable for shipping with $400 of insurance. Add the $5 that I put in the "beer fund" at my LBS for the box, and shipping, plus insurance, plus good will was $20. I'm happy with that :banana:

I will complete my data point with an update if there is any damage during shipping.

TBDSeattle

Lovetoclimb
07-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Always had good results with Fed Ex myself. Never tried USPS and UPS ground prices were never as competitive as Fed Ex ground.

TBDSeattle
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Update:

USPS from Seattle to Portland = $10 and delivered next day.

Wow. That was cool. And I have a newly overhauled Chris King rear wheel to roll (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1385792#post1385792)! :) :hello:

A.Danger
07-20-2013, 08:09 AM
When a bike frame (only) is shipped overseas, I've been told to use USPS (because considerably cheaper). But how does the tracking/chain of custody work once it leaves the USPS and enters the other country's postal system? I'm talking about countries like Sweden or France with (comparably) reputable, sophisticated postal systems. Thanks for all of the info in this thread: very helpful.

lukasz
07-22-2013, 03:16 PM
With regard to France it is their responsibility once it enters their territory. Interestingly, a friend's US tax forms get lost in the mail by the USPS after he sent them from France (ex-pat) and it was La Poste that worked with him to take care of matters and reimburse him for damages. USPS basically said, "there's nothing we can do."

I still like shipping USPS. Just get insurance, heh-heh.

bargainguy
07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
My brother worked for UPS. He told me whenever shipping anything where breakage is a real concern, always use 2nd day air. He said if you use ground and try to ship a bike box, the chances of damage increase exponentially, because the box is often loaded in a semi with a million boxes atop it. He said 2nd day air gets much gentler handling.