PDA

View Full Version : Beer makes friends (and we all need friends sometimes)

firerescuefin
07-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Putting a different crankset on my bike and had ordered a Chris King PF30 BB. Bike is dead in the water right now :help:

I called the LBS I do business with.

(I've purchased 2 kids bikes and my wife's road bike there. I make it a habit to drop a 6 or 12 of microbrews every 4-6 weeks. If I can, I go near closing time and share one with them. Good guys.)

.....anyhow back to the story. I get transferred to the service dept to "Matt"...who I don't know....I tell him, "Hey Matt, the is Geoff suchandsuch, and I need to get a PF30 bottom bracket pressed in....what's the lead time to get that done."

Matt tells me "We're buried and that it's going to be 7-10 days."

I tell Matt "thanks, but I need to get it done sooner." I get off the phone and am googling other shop phone numbers....90 seconds later, my phone rings...It's the shop service manager. He asks me what I need to get done...I tell him, He says to have it there tomorrow morning and pick it up at lunch. He then tells me that he had to explain to Matt that I am one of the "beer guys" :cool:

I wasn't expecting it, nor was I frustrated when they told me they were busy...but it was a nice side benefit!:)

ultraman6970
07-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Beer guys hehehe :)

Gonna have to do that :)

SpokeValley
07-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Beer is definitely "wrench" grease!

My lbs is partial to PBR...which confounds the devil out of me. Ive brought northwest brews attempting to raise the bar, but hey, they insist. So I deliver at least a twelve-er every few weeks, usually the day of the shop ride.

These guys put my bike on the stand whenever I ask. And they all know me by my first name...kind of like "Cheers".

Another secret grease...cookies or brownies :)

oldpotatoe
07-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Putting a different crankset on my bike and had ordered a Chris King PF30 BB. Bike is dead in the water right now :help:

I called the LBS I do business with.

(I've purchased 2 kids bikes and my wife's road bike there. I make it a habit to drop a 6 or 12 of microbrews every 4-6 weeks. If I can, I go near closing time and share one with them. Good guys.)

.....anyhow back to the story. I get transferred to the service dept to "Matt"...who I don't know....I tell him, "Hey Matt, the is Geoff suchandsuch, and I need to get a PF30 bottom bracket pressed in....what's the lead time to get that done."

Matt tells me "We're buried and that it's going to be 7-10 days."

I tell Matt "thanks, but I need to get it done sooner." I get off the phone and am googling other shop phone numbers....90 seconds later, my phone rings...It's the shop service manager. He asks me what I need to get done...I tell him, He says to have it there tomorrow morning and pick it up at lunch. He then tells me that he had to explain to Matt that I am one of the "beer guys" :cool:

I wasn't expecting it, nor was I frustrated when they told me they were busy...but it was a nice side benefit!:)

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you about the BB...been really, really busy but it sounds like it's been sorted.

AngryScientist
07-10-2013, 08:09 AM
just another story that makes me glad i do all my own wrenching.

gavingould
07-10-2013, 08:14 AM
it's true. take care of your LBS (and people employed there) and they'll take care of you. cookies, brownies, pizza, burritos, beer, Mexican Cokes - all are generally appreciated and will be rewarded.

sworcester
07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm the beer guy too. I know who likes ales, stouts and ipa. The sales guys want to know when they get some.

firerescuefin
07-10-2013, 09:06 AM
just another story that makes me glad i do all my own wrenching.

I don't press BBs in too often, and this one is 170 dollars...and the frame is pretty expensive too. I like wrenching, but I'll leave this to the pros.

Bruce K
07-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm more if a "coffee & munchies guy" - one wrench is under age.

But it seems to work just as well.

BK

Formulasaab
07-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I do the same thing, as well as bring liquor to the one woman who prefers it.

It means that whenever I show up and just want to hang out, they tell me to grab a beer and have a seat. The last time I did that they even told me that I had permission to access the "top shelf" of the fridge which was closed off with a secretive piece of cardboard. :banana::beer:

I do most of my own work and they always give me killer discounts on parts, tools, and the rare bit of service, so I consider beer delivery and being patient as two important parts of being a good customer and friend of the shop.

avalonracing
07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Sorry, bring down the vibe but I think this kinda BS.
"We can't do your bike for you, no matter how much you need it and no matter how much you've spent here... unless we are bribed on a regular basis."

A buddy of mine called a local shop for a repair and they guy said, "Sorry, we are swapped, it will be a week". My friend asked if there was any way it could be done earlier and the guy from the shop said, "Well, a couple of six-packs can go a long way."

Sure, if the wrenches want to do side work on their own time that is their business but it makes the shop seem very unprofessional. If your doctor said he couldn't schedule your procedure for two weeks unless you brought him beer would you be psyched or find a new doc?

If repairs are that backed up maybe the shop owner should pay a little OT and shorten the queue and get a reputation that his business can turn repairs around more quickly than others... without bribes.

(I also do 99% of my own wrenching)

Nooch
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
"We can't do your bike for you, no matter how much you need it and no matter how much you've spent here... unless we are bribed on a regular basis."

A buddy of mine called a local shop for a repair and they guy said, "Sorry, we are swapped, it will be a week". My friend asked if there was any way it could be done earlier and the guy from the shop said, "Well, a couple of six-packs can go a long way."

Sure, if the wrenches want to do side work on their own time that is their business but it makes the shop seem very unprofessional. If your doctor said he couldn't schedule your procedure for two weeks unless you brought him beer would you be psyched or find a new doc?

If repairs are that backed up maybe the shop owner should pay a little OT and shorten the queue and get a reputation that his business can turn repairs around more quickly than others... without bribes.

I don't think it's so much being bribed on a regular basis, I see it more as being one of the regulars and this guy Matt didn't happen to know Geoff, whether he was new to the shop or what... So the service manager knows Geoff, knows he's a good guy, and can slot him up a little bit.

It's retail. Not everyone is created equal. They start out there, but people that spend more money, spend more time, build relationships with the people they're transacting with, are always going to get preferential treatment, at least a little bit.

If it's known you're a good guy and it's an every once in a while request (which Geoff didn't even request, he just inquired on the timeline) then yeah, maybe you can squeeze in the BB install before you do the walmart bike assembly that the person said they didn't really need until the weekend, without totally disrupting the workflow.

(ultimately, i think it's a matter of if you do nice things for people, people will do nice things for you.... doesn't matter what it is, positive vibes attract positive vibes...)

Fishbike
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Oh stop - it is not a bribe. Most business -- and particularly small business -- is built on relationships. And the foundation of good business relationships are good products and good customer service from the business and realistic expectations and the willingness to pay a fair price on the part of the customer. If both parties then say "thanks" all the better. And if the business is willing to toss in a water bottle or the customer is willing to bring beer, better still. It is silly to think that a business is going to treat all customers the same. It is human nature and probably a good thing that we treat people who are particularly nice to us better than folks who are not.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Oh stop - it is not a bribe. Most business -- and particularly small business -- is built on relationships. And the foundation of good business relationships are good products and good customer service from the business and realistic expectations and the willingness to pay a fair price on the part of the customer. If both parties then say "thanks" all the better. And if the business is willing to toss in a water bottle or the customer is willing to bring beer, better still. It is silly to think that a business is going to treat all customers the same. It is human nature and probably a good thing that we treat people who are particularly nice to us better than folks who are not.

Not a bribe but a tip..beer or even $ doesn't give you 26 hours in a day where a lot of us spend 10-12 hours at the shop anyway.

avalonracing
07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Not a bribe but a tip..beer or even $ doesn't give you 26 hours in a day where a lot of us spend 10-12 hours at the shop anyway.

But is it a tip when the mechanic said to my friend, "No we can't do it for a week unless you bring us beer" ?

Lovetoclimb
07-10-2013, 10:52 AM
My first trip to the front range to ride bikes and Old Potatoe was kind enough to loan me his personal bike in exchange for Red Stripe! Safe to say if anyone who rides a 59-60cm frame finds their way to Asheville in need of a bike look me up. Dig paying it forward and all.

jordo_99
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
It's not about business ethics. It's simply something that's been happening as our species developed. I'm not going to go into though.

Here's the deal. When you show others that you appreciate what they do they feel good. Those feelings become motivators. I'd wager that these guys are going to put his bike on the stand ahead of queue because he hangs out with them and treats them well...not because they're worried that if they don't the beer will stop coming in.

The situation where some guy said he'd move their bike up queue for beer...that's bribing and unethical :no:

Formulasaab
07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
But is it a tip when the mechanic said to my friend, "No we can't do it for a week unless you bring us beer" ?

No, that's asshole-ry.
We're talking about a different thing.

In the beginning, I bring in beer, unbidden. As a result, they take notice of me in a positive way. :cool:

We become friends over time. Not because of the beer, but because I'm not a jerk about them being busy, needing to eat, have a day off, or answer the phone. When I ask for advice, I respect it, almost always take it, and don't argue. I don't haggle on price on anything. I bring them clean bikes to work on. I pay cash for everything.

After that, the beer just comes naturally as a form of my appreciation for their skill and friendship. We clink a few after the last wrench is laid down and the pedals stop turning. All is well.:beer:

Note: This only works if your LBS is actually good.
If they're jerks to begin with, beer won't fix that.
If they give bad advice or do poor work, beer won't fix that.
This is why beer, despite all its powers, can't fix the internet. :crap:

soupless
07-10-2013, 06:36 PM
It's not about business ethics. It's simply something that's been happening as our species developed. I'm not going to go into though.

Here's the deal. When you show others that you appreciate what they do they feel good. Those feelings become motivators. I'd wager that these guys are going to put his bike on the stand ahead of queue because he hangs out with them and treats them well...not because they're worried that if they don't the beer will stop coming in.

The situation where some guy said he'd move their bike up queue for beer...that's bribing and unethical :no:

Well put Jordo.

yngpunk
07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
In the restaurant industry, it's called "buy the kitchen a six pack". Much appreciated by the guys and gals behind the scenes slaving over a hot stove in a cramped kitchen

pbarry
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Small single bike shop biz is old school, and it's good to see a profession where a good turn equals good service, (call me old fashioned). Ever waited tables?

Most "wrenches" are vastly underpaid for the knowledge and skill they have. A bonus six-pack makes a big difference at the end of the week.

I'm sure the shop was booked. Is your friend a regular, or just dropping in and wanting the work done asap?

pbarry
07-10-2013, 08:50 PM

You are seriously paraphrasing above, or didn't tell the story accurately the first time..

avalonracing
07-10-2013, 08:55 PM
You are seriously paraphrasing above, or didn't tell the story accurately the first time..

I'll ask my friend when I talk to him for an exact quote. Let say it's close enough that my friend who had been going there for years said that he was pissed and not dealing with the shop anymore. And when he told another friend of mine who used to work at that shop friend number two said that he was going to let the owner know that the mechanics were telling people that.
Good enough?

pbarry
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I'll ask my friend when I talk to him for an exact quote. Let say it's close enough that my friend who had been going there for years said that he was pissed and not dealing with the shop anymore. And when he told another friend of mine who used to work at that shop friend number two said that he was going to let the owner know that the mechanics were telling people that.
Good enough?

I assumed the original "quote" was exact. Yes, it matters. We're sliding into the grey area.

false_Aest
07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
True Story: I worked at a shop where the mechanic and owner were recovering alcoholics.

They still appreciated the gesture.

But I learned to ask before I bring.

firerescuefin
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Fwiw...wasn't charged for the install...even when I insisted.

oldpotatoe
07-11-2013, 07:20 AM

Donno, we don't do that. We don't drop everything and shove it in just cuz somebody brought us a 6 pack, or 12 pack.

Mostly it's like, 'can you fit this in?', we will try we say, depends a lot on the person's attitude. If they are 'entitled-ly', we say no, if they are polite, we try..often we get it done, often I stay late after closing or come early before opening to get it done. Often we are rewarded with $ for the job and some ber, brownies, cookies, even Aqua con gas.

If it's on a Campagnolo bike that another shop gooned up(or even with shimano if it's really awful(imagine that!!)), I almost always will fit it in. Not cuz of my 'fondness' for Campagnolo and seeing it done right, but also a perfect way to create a new customer, in a town that has 22 bike shops.

Gummee
07-11-2013, 07:25 AM
(ultimately, i think it's a matter of if you do nice things for people, people will do nice things for you.... doesn't matter what it is, positive vibes attract positive vibes...)

This. As a wrench, the little things are appreciated: beer, coffee, treats, etc.

Don't be a douche and you may get better treatment too. ...even without the bribery. AMHIK

Oh, call first if you *need* something done. Don't just wander in and expect it done rightthisbloodysecond. I get lots of that where I am. Being right off a major MUT, I get LOTS of 'can you fix my flat?!' Expecting me to drop what I'm doing so their day isn't inconvenienced.

(mentally: Awww poor thing! Don't know how to change a flat?! Sucks to be you!)
verbally: Sure! Give me an hour or so and come on back! We'll get 'er done for ya! That's $6 for a tube and $10 to put it in.

M

oldpotatoe
07-11-2013, 07:34 AM
This. As a wrench, the little things are appreciated: beer, coffee, treats, etc.

Don't be a douche and you may get better treatment too. ...even without the bribery. AMHIK

Oh, call first if you *need* something done. Don't just wander in and expect it done rightthisbloodysecond. I get lots of that where I am. Being right off a major MUT, I get LOTS of 'can you fix my flat?!' Expecting me to drop what I'm doing so their day isn't inconvenienced.

(mentally: Awww poor thing! Don't know how to change a flat?! Sucks to be you!)
verbally: Sure! Give me an hour or so and come on back! We'll get 'er done for ya! That's $6 for a tube and $10 to put it in.

M

We will often say, 'You want it done right or done right now?'

It is a pisser when they gotta have it now. I have seen more than a few get huffy because I said, go get a cup of coffee(the other thing that are everywhere in the republic, coffee shops) and come back in an hour. Don't have an hour? Go somewhere else..

gemship
07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
We will often say, 'You want it done right or done right now?'

It is a pisser when they gotta have it now. I have seen more than a few get huffy because I said, go get a cup of coffee(the other thing that are everywhere in the republic, coffee shops) and come back in an hour. Don't have an hour? Go somewhere else..

I would be pleased to have a hour later time frame for a get the job done time quote, a hour from the time of drop off to pick up is speedy in my opinion. If folks get huffy about that then they need their heads examined and or a second bike.

Now speaking for personal experience I really don't like idea of a drunk person working on my bike:p

biker72
07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
True Story: I worked at a shop where the mechanic and owner were recovering alcoholics.

They still appreciated the gesture.

But I learned to ask before I bring.

This is a very good point. Not all shops allow alcohol on the premises.

What is allowed is a good attitude. Could you fit this in today? I'd really appreciate it.

NOT I've got a ride in 15 minutes and need a complete overhaul.

A simple "thank you very much my bike shifts perfectly now" goes a long way.....no beer required...:)

The customer from hell comes in and wants everything done for free. This is the same guy that pumps the mechanics for information then buys everything online.

rccardr
07-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I rarely have any work done by my LBS- do it all myself except for the occasional really weird situation- but still stop in to say howdy from time to time and drop off a sixer of upscale brew every 4-6 weeks.

It can be tough to be in retail/service and deal with the public. A little niceness and appreciation, especially when unexpected, makes their day easier.