PDA

View Full Version : weather great - confidence gone

MallyG
12-18-2005, 04:28 AM
This morning, I woke to clear blue sky, crisp cold air and (rare for this time of year) ice-free roads. It's quiet out, I guess many people have already started their holiday.
This is my perfect cycling weather.
But I went running instead.
Not because that happened to fit with any training plan, or because that was what I really wanted to do. Nor was I particularly stuck for time.
I've just realised that, since my accident back in June, my confidence has ebbed away. My rides have become shorter, riding to work into the centre of London has become non-existant, and the fact that none of my regular cyclying buddies are around this weekend has given me the perfect excuse to run instead (riding alone was never an issue with me previously - it was actually a different kind of pleasure).
So, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? If so, how did you combat it and regain your confidence?
I'm signed up for at least one five-day ride in Italy in the spring and I'd hate to pull out, not least because cycling has always been my passion.
Anyway, I'm going on vacation next week for a couple of weeks, and I'm packing all the latest cycling mags.
But if anyone's got any tips.......?

roadie7
12-18-2005, 05:37 AM
About a year ago a car hit me during a morning training ride. After 6 weeks of healing off the bike, I started riding again and realized some of my confidence was still lying on the road at the accident site. I started with short rides and, when I felt unsafe on part of the road, I'd ride on the sidewalk (something I laughed at before my accident). I kept extending my rides slowly until I felt safe again. Having said all that, I'm more cautious now than before (at 53 I've never been a dare devil anyway). Riding in the dark, even with my bright front and rear lights, is not my favorite time anymore.

The morale of the story: keep at it slowly and one day you'll realize that you're back riding like before.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Climb01742
12-18-2005, 05:57 AM
mally,
i think not riding in car-filled central london is actually a sign of clear-headed sanity. ;) but two ideas: are there car-free parks where you can ride? that might be a good confidence-building environment to try. and, have you thought about talking to someone? you've been through a trauma, not an insignificant one. cycling is something you love. maybe talking through your feelings with someone might help. just a thought.
ps: sounds like sir frank is causing quite a stir in london's agency world.
pss: go gunners against chelsea.

kestrel
12-18-2005, 08:03 AM
MallyG,

Two years ago I was hit by a Buick, flipped over the top of the car with my bike still attached to my shoes, then slipped off the back as the driver accelerated to make his getaway. Left in the road for dead, I spent a few hours in the hospital doing xrays and stitches, collected my busted frame and wheels, and went home. I was back on the bike in a day or two. My butt still occasionally shrinks to the size of a grain of salt when a vehicle sounds too close as it approaches. I've learned to be more observant of license plate numbers, I gravitate towards the lesser traveled roads, I ride during off-peak traffic hours. I ride at night. (for some reason around here the drivers give more room to bikes with lighting.) BUT, I ride! You're gonna die somehow, wouldn't you rather go doing something you love instead of peeing on yourself in a nursing home surrounded by people you don't really know, while they comment on your incontinence? :beer:

Doc Austin
12-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Awhile back, I was sprinting, broke a cleat, popped out of the pedal and crashed. Very unpleasant. Then, I broke another, but because I was holding back I managed to save it. Seems that manufacturer had a back batch of cleats, but that's the last time I'll ever use those kind of pedals.

I still get a pretty uneasy feeling when I sprint. I keep riding but I don't sprint as hard or as often.

Not knowing how you crashed, I can't give any solid advice (and might not have any anyway), but if you can avoid whatever caused you to go down, avoid it. If you crashed all by yourself, whatever you did, don't do it again!

As with anything that has you spooked, get back in slow and easy. Apparently you're still riding, so just keep it up. Almost every time I've crashed it's because I did something stupid, so ride carefully and you'll probably get your confidence back soon enough.

I've been involved in alot of sports where you can get hurt, and some where getting hurt was just part of it. First, you decide if the last injury is going to put you out or not, and if you decide to keep going, you take whatever measures you can to insure your safety (including being more careful) and then you just get right back in there. In the case of competitive sports, you don't have the luxury of time, but if you are a recreational rider, you've got forever to work back up to it.

Since you're still riding, obviously you aren't terrified, so take nice, easy, safe rides and build your confidence back slowly. I've been riding seriously (well, seriously for me, anyway) for about 15 years, and I've had two really nasty ones. Actually, they weren't even that nasty because all I got was bruised and skinned up. There were countless other tip overs and stupid accidents that didn't qualify as crashes, but you get the idea. I figure I've got a good one coming about once every five years, so I accept that because getting busted up a little is better than sitting on the couch and dying from hardening of my arteries or choking on my cholesterol.

You're gonna wreck. It's inevitable. Even Lance had one in the tour a few years ago. Sure, it wasn't his fault, but you can see that it can happen to anyone. About the only thing you can do is protect yourself the best you can and keep going.....just like in real life.

My butt still occasionally shrinks to the size of a grain of salt when a vehicle sounds too close as it approaches.

I've found that when I hear a car approaching, if I just glance back, for some reason the car will usually give you a little more room. Not always, but it seems to help.

I gravitate towards the lesser traveled roads,

I ride the trail.........and I take back roads to get there. I still come across the occasional psychopath having a bad day, but it's not as often as when you're right in the middle of it.

I ride at night. (for some reason around here the drivers give more room to bikes with lighting.)

I've found this to be especially true. I like to use the flashing strobe lights front and rear. I've got those little flasher thingies that slip into the handlebar ends. I wear yellow and I still stay of the main roads. Generally, I'm lit up like a Christmas tree and I have far, far fewer incidents at night. However, I also make sure I don't ride at night on days like St. Patty's and New Years. Sometimes you're just better off taking a break.

You're gonna die somehow,

Well, that's the bad news. The good news is that between now and then, you have all this time to live.

kestrel
12-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Awhile back, I was sprinting, broke a cleat, popped out of the pedal and crashed. Very unpleasant. Then, I broke another, but because I was holding back I managed to save it. Seems that manufacturer had a back batch of cleats, but that's the last time I'll ever use those kind of pedals.

Doc, they weren't Exus cleats and pedals were they? I had a similar problem with them years ago.

PBWrench
12-18-2005, 10:16 AM
MG - After I fractured my pelvis this spring I went through the same feelings. I started back on a recumbent tricycle, then my mtn bike before I was both physically and emotionally ready to get back on a road bike. I remember my first ride with my group. I was terrified. I gradually began to get back my confidence -- it returned faster than my level of fitness. My recovery goal was the Ride for the Roses century in Austin in October. The start is in batches of 800 riders, and truthfully, the first 20 miles or so were very tense when I was watching so many wheels at once. But I got through it, and while I feel that I'm still a bit tentative, I'm past most of the anxiety. You'll get there. Your greatest motivation should be that beautiful Storck gathering dust. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Ginger
12-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Time.

Let yourself have some time off the bike. It took me a couple years to get over the whole car thing...three to be precise...and I still get heebie jeebies on occasion.

Len J
12-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Time.

Let yourself have some time off the bike. It took me a couple years to get over the whole car thing...three to be precise...and I still get heebie jeebies on occasion.

Been there done that.

Take your time......give yourself a break......listen to your heart......and before you knowit, you'll be back.

Len

vaxn8r
12-18-2005, 03:58 PM
I had a near miss T-bone. My two buddies weren't so fortunate. They were really messed up. It took me about 6 months off the bike and another 6 months to regain my old confidence. So for me it was about a year. I agree that it's hard to notice when it happens. What you're hearing above is that it always does if you are willing to work through it.

MallyG
12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone (and Climb - I'm interested in Frank's shop, but a tiny bit sceptical). It's encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one who ever lost confidence, and I'm pleased that everyone who's been through similar has made a full recovery both physically and mentally. You know, cycling is more than just exercise to me, it's meditative, spiritual, social and beautiful and I'd hate to give it up.
Might take me a while to regain my earlier fitness though... but that's another thread I guess.
Finally, whatever holiday your celebrating, may you celebrate it to the full and here's to a peaceful and Happy 2006 x

Kevan
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Having been fortunate enough not to crash (yet...yikes!), I can't offer you the confidence you seek in a solution as others can here. I can only suggest that you take each ride by the mile. With each ride, with each mile, the confidence should return.

Might I add that you live in a wonderful neighborhood of London. I've been to Hampstead on 2 occasions to attend the organized London walks there, one at night involving your local pubs, the other on a Sunday morning, and I thought it was a wonderful spot. I particularly enjoyed walking in the Heath.

This isn't particularly helpful to your plight, but the idea of riding in London would concern me too. I think it was my imagining riding through Trafalgar square during rush that had me pretty convinced.