PDA

View Full Version : Sprinters at the TdF (spoiler)

Keith A
07-09-2013, 10:47 PM
So after watching today's stage 10 and seeing Cav's team not come through again, I started wondering what was going on. Last year he won three stages without any team support since Sky was focused on Wiggo. This year his team was supposedly built around helping him win stage, but they haven't been coming through with the results and he doesn't seem too happy.

They keep talking about Cav being the fastest sprinter out there, but he hasn't been making good on this yet. So are the other sprinters just catching up to Cavendish or has he faded a bit?

BTW, I would never want to be a sprinter! Watching those guys in the last 1K is just crazy...and it all happens at 40mph :eek:

beercan
07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
i bet the stage two days ago took a lot out of him, at least they signed his old wingman back

Keith A
07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
This was pretty good...watch the video and see Cav take a recorder from a journalist :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23251598

tiretrax
07-10-2013, 03:27 PM
This was pretty good...watch the video and see Cav take a recorder from a journalist :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23251598

Why don't the journalists pound Ryder Hjesdal (however it's spelled) or Andre Griepel. Their jostling was far worse and had much great consequences to the riders they took down. It's amazing that Tony M was able to continue to ride and win the TT.

EDS
07-10-2013, 03:46 PM
So after watching today's stage 10 and seeing Cav's team not come through again, I started wondering what was going on. Last year he won three stages without any team support since Sky was focused on Wiggo. This year his team was supposedly built around helping him win stage, but they haven't been coming through with the results and he doesn't seem too happy.

They keep talking about Cav being the fastest sprinter out there, but he hasn't been making good on this yet. So are the other sprinters just catching up to Cavendish or has he faded a bit?

BTW, I would never want to be a sprinter! Watching those guys in the last 1K is just crazy...and it all happens at 40mph :eek:

I think the Omega train still needs some work, including a more consistent leadout guy then Stegmans (he seems to either nail it or be MIA). On stage 10, Cav also did not have the benefit of Tony Martin pullin in the last few kilos as he was obviously being saved for the TT on Stage 11. Throw in Kwiatkowski being in the race for the White jersey. Cav also went down a few days ago which definitely impacts the top end (ttok Sagan a couple days before he had his top gear back after his crash).

Keith A
07-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Good point about saving Tony...as it certainly paid off in the ITT today.