PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think riding might be dangerous?

Bkat
07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
After narrowly missing having a truck grill turn me into road kill (he was turning right from the center lane, I was going straight in a bike lane just outside the right lane) I tripped across some data (http://gridchicago.com/2012/cyclists-in-chicago-crash-less-often-than-those-in-the-suburbs/) showing some stats from back in 2010:

For every 1,000 people counted by the ACS who commuted to work by bicycle, the following number of people were involved in a crash in 2010 in which they received an incapacitating injury or died:

Chicago: 10.68 people
Cook County, including Chicago: 11.92
Cook County, excluding Chicago: 15.27
Collar counties: 21.10

For every 1,000 people counted by the ACS who commuted to work by bicycle, the following number of people were involved in a crash in 2010 in which they received an injury:

Chicago: 109.96 people
Cook County, including Chicago: 116.12
Cook County, excluding Chicago: 132.73
Collar counties: 126.38

OK. I wasn't commuting but was out for a Sunday 75km ride so I'm obviously exempt from any risk indicated by these numbers;), but do any of you ever think about just how dangerous this riding thing can be?

Nooch
07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
I'll say this -- I'm young (28), have a family, and am terrified of death. Just can't wrap my head around it.

But at the same time, we're all gonna go someday.. If my number's called while I'm on the bike, then so be it.. I'd rather it be that way than tripping down the stairs and breaking my neck... Had a client who went that way -- that's no way to go...

Llewellyn
07-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Nope........probably far more likely to die of any number of horrible diseases.

FWIW, I'd rather pop my clogs while riding than from some illness

Dave
07-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I rode for about 20 years in the Kansas City area and never had a car-bike incident. I moved to Highlands Ranch, CO in 2003 and got hit by cars twice, in a 5-year period. I had a 16 year-old go past me and make a right hand turn, right in front or me, while I was riding in the bike lane.

A couple of years later I was riding 2-abreast with another fellow. We approached a T intersection, and just as we got there, a driver stopped at the stop sign, hit the gas and plowed both of us over. The other guy went to the emergency room, since he was actually struck. My bike was not rideable, with two tacoed wheels and a broken-off brake/shift lever. The offending driver put my bike in the back of her truck and took me home, since I was stranded.

The only positive from both of these incidents was a lot of insurance money. I suffered no permanent injuries from either accident, but had lingering hand problems from the first. I had to get an attorney to get money from the first accident, but they paid dearly when my attorney got done with them.

I've been down 10 times in 25 years and broken 7 helmets. All of the other incidents were either due to my mistake, another rider's mistake or road conditions. I've slid out twice and slick/sandy mountain descents.

phcollard
07-09-2013, 06:09 PM

What you said. I'd rather be on the bike when my time has come than spend several months 'til the end in a hospital room...

Rueda Tropical
07-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Living is dangerous to your health:)

Driving is more dangerous then cycling, but most of us do it daily - with family, without thinking we are placing them in mortal danger.

Your behavior can mitigate the risk greatly, beyond that... Insha'Allah.

vqdriver
07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
yes, i do feel it is dangerous. and i don't think it's just in my head. clearly there's animosity towards cyclists on the road and really, it's that human element that i feel is more dangerous than anything else. i feel safer mtbing even tho i crash all the time and have far more scars to show for my efforts on the trail than on the road.

if i didn't have young children, i don't think i'd feel the same way. yes, i'd rather not die after a long decline in a hospital. but it's not just the 'how', it's also the 'when'. and if at all possible i don't want anyone else to have a hand in deciding that.....

Pete Mckeon
07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
it identified the cancer early, and physical condition I was in helped tackle it AND the friends I met thru cycling and the old serotta forum helped me thru the healing process. There are many others who had life threatening periods worse and it was not cycling causing them,

GO EVERYDAY THRU LIFE AND ENJOY the fun cycling offers. There are many of the stories from others and many had a more difficult time then the fears of cycling. Others fear flying, driving etc,,,,but life goes on:)

There are many ways for your card to be punched BUT cycling is no more dangerous and even less so than some others. Enjoy life everyday and to the fullest fun (and not fear):banana:

KidWok
07-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I got hit over five years ago and the lawsuit just settled. The accident happened right before my first son was born. It knocked some sense into me for sure. These days, there are days that I just don't ride...not worth the risk. I love my boys way more than I'll ever love my bikes...and I've got the extra 15 lbs to prove it.

Tai

Steve530
07-09-2013, 06:22 PM
I knew a very experienced rider who was killed when a driver drifted onto the shoulder. I think about him when I ride that stretch of road, but I still ride that road.

67-59
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Agreed. I'm not the least but comfortable with the idea of death, but knowing that it has to come sometime, I'd rather it be quick and while I'm doing something that I love.

OperaLover
07-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Agreed. I'm not the least but comfortable with the idea of death, but knowing that it has to come sometime, I'd rather it be quick and while I'm doing something that I love.

And if it doesn't come quick and I am incapacitated with no chance for recovery my wife has POA and my health directive to let me go with pain medication, water, but no life support or nutrition.

crownjewelwl
07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Don't ever drive a car either

Frankwurst
07-09-2013, 06:51 PM
When the Great Spirit chooses to remove my spirit from this earth it won't matter if I'm riding a bicycle or sitting on the toilet. I don't worry about it.:beer:

pitonpat
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Yup, I think about it, but, frankly I've done 'dangerous' things all my life. I'm a building contractor and have spent 42+ years on roofs, scaffoldings, working with power tools, and for fun have climbed mountains & cliff faces, skiied, canoed and kayaked white water, etc. Any of these things might have killed me, but I'd be a lesser person if I hadn't pursued my interests. Cycling is one of these interests that makes me better physically and mentally so I'll continue to take the risk.

A year ago cycling gave me an early warning before a massively blocked artery almost killed me, and a month ago I T-boned a deer leaping into my lane while descending in full tuck at terminal velocity.... So, two sides to every coin!

fuzzalow
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Of course it is dangerous.

The ground is hard. Gravity is immutable. Forward velocity turns pavement into an 80 grit beltsander. All but possibly 3% of motor vehicle operators have any skill whatsoever at driving and 2% of those drive with overarching sense of entitlement.

Having a healthy respect for what is the normal space in which a rider participates with is how to stay alive.

Oft times, with bicyclists as well as with motorcyclists, the terrible skills made habit by and from the same manner that they operate a motor vehicle help make for accidents and statistics. Too bad.

Bkat
07-09-2013, 07:20 PM
yes, i do feel it is dangerous. and i don't think it's just in my head. clearly there's animosity towards cyclists on the road and really, it's that human element that i feel is more dangerous than anything else. i feel safer mtbing even tho i crash all the time and have far more scars to show for my efforts on the trail than on the road.

if i didn't have young children, i don't think i'd feel the same way. yes, i'd rather not die after a long decline in a hospital. but it's not just the 'how', it's also the 'when'. and if at all possible i don't want anyone else to have a hand in deciding that.....

qdriver hits on a good point. It's not the danger of riding that's most worrisome. It's the danger that comes from someone else's stupidity that gets me. I don't want to be off'ed by some nitwit too busy on their cellphone or too busy texting to notice their 4,000 lb vehicle just took out an 18 lb bike.

shane0000001
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Every day riding in New York you notice how dangerous it is, but everyday some other crazy stuff happens. People getting stabbed/shot in the subway. Drivers crashing through pedestrians. All you can do is be smart, wear a helmet and go from there. Still 100% worth it.

shovelhd
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Riding is dangerous. Racing is dangerous, but I feel it is the safer of the two. It's on the road training where my risks are the highest. Drivers have no respect for life. They are distracted and consumed by their own lives inside the cocoon. So while your number can come up at any time, there are many things you can do to increase your odds of survival. Ride safe. Realize that everyone is out to kill you. Follow the rules of the road. Stop at stop signs and lights. Don't split lanes. Indicate and take the lane when you have to. Wave as a token of appreciation when a driver yields for you. Say thank you out loud when a driver looks in your eyes and does not pull out in front of you. All of these little things add up.

Llewellyn
07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
So while your number can come up at any time, there are many things you can do to increase your odds of survival. Ride safe. Realize that everyone is out to kill you. Follow the rules of the road. Stop at stop signs and lights. Don't split lanes. Indicate and take the lane when you have to. Wave as a token of appreciation when a driver yields for you. Say thank you out loud when a driver looks in your eyes and does not pull out in front of you. All of these little things add up.

Agreed 1,000%

I do all of these things and I am sure it makes my rides safer. I assume that every driver will possibly do something stupid. So I try to anticipate and act accordingly

rwsaunders
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Dogs, deer and potholes scare me more than cars.

buddybikes
07-09-2013, 08:11 PM
It would be interesting to see those figures 10, 20, 30 years ago. Society is faster and cell phones, eating/drinking while driving are killing cyclists! Look at a good European car, now they are even putting web connections in the cars. We can as a group accept this, or push back.

Personally, cycling has saved my life, having diabetes for 46 years with minimal complications.

As i age, I stay off more and more chaotic roads. Fortunately here in New England we have old cow paths...

shovelhd
07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Dogs, deer and potholes scare me more than cars.

Dogs and deer, yeah. Potholes, bunny hop.

shovelhd
07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
As i age, I stay off more and more chaotic roads. Fortunately here in New England we have old cow paths...

They can be more dangerous than main roads.

soulspinner
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I knew a very experienced rider who was killed when a driver drifted onto the shoulder. I think about him when I ride that stretch of road, but I still ride that road.

That's what I fear most and thats why I cant wear earbuds and ride like some I know.....

downtube
07-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Everyday, life is a balance, risks are taken daily. As humans we are able to think things through and possibly put ourselves in a position to limit exposure. That said, stuff happens. I notice as I get older, my descents have slowed a little and I seek out the lesser traveled roads. My goal is to still be riding at 80, but to do that I need to be alive.

Ken Robb
07-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I recognize the danger every time I ride on the road. More close calls than I can count.

rustychisel
07-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Yes it's dangerous, to a degree, but I love it. And I only have one real phobia, so I stay out of the ocean. If I ever see a great white shark on the highway then I'll have to evaluate my position.

FlashUNC
07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Living's dangerous. And biologically speaking, anything past the age where we can successfully procreate is just bonus time.

I'll take my chances on the bike.

Jack Brunk
07-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Cars are the reason I went to the single track and I'm incredibility happy there. I won't cast off my responsibility to my family. I just take less chances now.

buddybikes
07-10-2013, 06:22 AM
RE: They can be more dangerous than main roads.

Least I will be squished by a car rather than a semi...

Surprise nobody has commented on the main culprit...texting/phones/internet while driving. Maybe because most people here do it to?

Personally I don't want to die as a result of Verizon!

oldpotatoe
07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
I got hit over five years ago and the lawsuit just settled. The accident happened right before my first son was born. It knocked some sense into me for sure. These days, there are days that I just don't ride...not worth the risk. I love my boys way more than I'll ever love my bikes...and I've got the extra 15 lbs to prove it.

Tai

I got hit from behind in 2002 from a lady in a P/U truck who fell asleep at 10:30 on a Saturday morning. I have no memory of anything from 10 minutes prior to about 40 hours after(unconscious for about 15 minutes).

Took 3 years to settle with her insurance company.

A few things I 'learned'-

-Pay your money, take your chances, I still ride. Amnesia didn't hurt.
-Insurance companies just want to make and/or save money, they are scum when they may have to pay.
-If hit, get a lawyer, a good one, that isn't afraid to go to court to settle these things.
-Ride defensively is you can. Don't take chances. I ride where there is a shoulder..

Seramount
07-10-2013, 09:02 AM
yeah, you can get wadded up on a bike...so what.

you can always opt to just sit on your couch, it's pretty safe there.

LesMiner
07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Surprise nobody has commented on the main culprit...texting/phones/internet while driving. Maybe because most people here do it to?

I see people on their cellphones doing whatever all the time. The majority of dangerous encounters I have had while commuting have been at intersections where drivers are turning right and I am going straight. I do not know if their are any statistics but many injuries and fatalities are due to drivers turning right and running down the cyclist. Most drivers under estimate the cyclist's speed. They assume the cyclist is going at pedestrian speed and do not anticipate where the cyclist is. So many times I am entering an intersection when a driver wants to turn right. The driver may see me and then races ahead of me to cut me off. Intersections and turnng cars scar me the most.

As others have mentioned there are many perils out on the road. Just in the last couple of days a guy drove through a stop sign and ran down a cyclist. The cyclist died. It was dark and the driver had no lights on. He had other traffic violations. He was driving without a license. He claimed he was being shot at so had to escape being shot. He also left the scene, hit and run. He later turned himself in after his car was identified.

Bike paths are not without peril either. Unpredictable people and animals can be a real danger. Just the other a day a woman was walking her dog on a MUT and a huge tree, 30 inch diameter at the base, fell and killed her. No warning, it just fell on the MUT.

Life is perilous you do what you can to protect yourself and avoid danger.

54ny77
07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
i do and it is, but i'm far from the point of saying i'm ready for a life of videogames and lawn bowling. ;)

LesMiner
07-10-2013, 09:15 AM
This is an email sent to the Twin Cites Bicycle Club in Minnesota. Not all drivers are bad nor are all cyclists bad.

To whom it may concern,

I think I ran across your group while I was on an errand this evening. It was on General Mills Blvd between General Mills & KARE 11 around 6:15 this evening (7/9/13). One of the gentlemen had an orange shirt with your club name on the back. He appeared to be leading the group & was an older gentleman.

With all the animosity & tension that seems to exist between cyclists & drivers, & some of the near misses I've had with cyclists in Minneapolis (especially Uptown) blowing through stop signs & stop lights, I was very pleasantly surprised when your group stopped & waited for a green light & rode a very nice single file down the road. It was cool to see, & I made sure to slide over to the left some when I got to the red light to make sure they had enough room coming in behind me.

Thanks for being a great group & encouraging respectful cycling & following traffic laws!

Tom Schmidt, New Hope, MN

Black Dog
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
The stats from the OP are very scary. 1-2% serious injury or death and 10-13% involved in a crash! Perhaps the stat was per 100,000 (typical for demographic datum) and not 1000. These is a very high numbers and would put them above the risks of fishing crab on the Bering sea! :eek:

As for the general question, I will continue to ride but I know that I am likely to be killed by some self absorbed and entitled person who has to text while driving. I have a lot of life insurance to make sure my family os well looked after. I do not want to stop and let fear pull me down. I use a bright blinking light during the day and avoid some roads. Not much more that I can do. I do know that 100% of all people will die and life needs to be lived. Each day matters.

The bigger issue is cultural and legislative. There is simple no desire to hold people accountable for their actions behind the wheel from a legal and cultural perspective. The drivers that kill people are often considered the victims. Law makers fell asleep at the switch when it came to cell phones and the current laws, where they exist, are rarely enforced and have minor fines. Too little and too late. It will take a few very high profile deaths from distracted driving before this issue gets the attention that it deserves. The texting plague has yet to explode. The upcoming generation of drivers are fully addicted to texting and will not stop when they get behind the wheel. And to think, I used to worry about drinking and driving.

zap
07-10-2013, 09:25 AM
When I prep and begin my ride I don't consciously think of the dangers. On a sub level I'm aware of the dangers and my instinctual tactics have evolved to a level where I'm pretty comfortable......but I'm also aware that could change pretty quickly................motorists in the USA rank last in driving intelligence among developed nations.

OP, you have to be defensive when near trucks. Either stay in front or behind trucks at intersections. Same goes for cars.....bottom line, you need all the maneuvering room to take evasive action. One reason why it's more dangerous for cyclists to come to a dead stop at ss and certain red lights....to evade you need to be moving.

irideslow8401
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
We all know the danger of one sport or the other. Cycling is no exception. But at least we will help reduce the accidents with other cyclists when we drive our cars.
IMHO:
-Minimize road sharing with car unless i have no other option.
-Know my lane and careful crossing intersection and make eye contact.
-Some are jerks (both drivers/cyclists) and thought they own the road so i know i will need to embrace it.
-Don't assume anything and don't trust any drivers unless this is me.
-Lights and reflective clothing if i ride on route that include road sharing

There was a cyclist that got ran over by a 18yo kid who was distracted while driving..not only hit the cyclist but ran into a pole 50ft after that. The kid only got a $42 ticket. The next day the article post on the newspaper and someone posted this senseless comment "If you want to be a peddle pusher and think you have as many rights as license insurance motorists then I recommend you move to Tawain or China and bring your stupid skin tight spandex with you!"

Oregonic
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
...So while your number can come up at any time, there are many things you can do to increase your odds of survival. Ride safe. Realize that everyone is out to kill you. Follow the rules of the road. Stop at stop signs and lights. Don't split lanes. Indicate and take the lane when you have to. Wave as a token of appreciation when a driver yields for you. Say thank you out loud when a driver looks in your eyes and does not pull out in front of you. All of these little things add up...

Absolutely the way I approach every ride, when I'm on the pavement.

Tai's statement also resonated with me...

"...there are days (and roads) that I just don't ride...not worth the risk. I love my boys (girls in my case) way more than I'll ever love my bikes...and I've got the extra 15 lbs to prove it..."

Of course, being a "both sides of the coin" person, those few extra pounds scare me as well - those can cause problems just as quickly and unexpectedly as a distracted driver.

It's all a matter of balance, I guess.

jordo_99
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
There are risks for everything.

I'd rather enjoy life with a slightly high risk of injury/death than have it drag out unhappy and out of shape.

Bkat
07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Lots of interesting responses. My original question was in some ways more philosophical and not meant to imply cycling is too dangerous to do. (Anyways, anyone who has come to that determination probably isn't following this forum!) Understanding this sport we do is dangerous is actually healthy as long as it doesn't paralyze us. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, those who never think about the dangers are likely the same ones out there without helmets, dodging between cars, and generally bumping up the statistics of the dead and injured. (Keep it up. For every one of you that crashes means my chances just went down a click.)

Kidding aside, being mindful of danger is nature's way of self-preservation. It's what keeps us from doing anything too reckless that might put us in harm's way. That said, I still don't want to be a statistic because of some nitwit too engrossed in their cellphone to notice me. So it's not a fear of riding, but a fear of stupid people. This applies to cars as well as those cyclists who inexplicably need to be carrying on a telephone conversation or worse, riding with no hands so they can text. Them folks I just don't get.

shovelhd
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
RE: They can be more dangerous than main roads.

Least I will be squished by a car rather than a semi...

Semi drivers concern me the least. Most are professionals which would have their careers shattered if they caused me any harm. They don't take stupid risks like a lot of impatient drivers do. I always give them a hand up when it's safe to pull back over after passing me. I often get a wave back in the mirror.

Black Dog
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Kidding aside, being mindful of danger is nature's way of self-preservation. It's what keeps us from doing anything too reckless that might put us in harm's way. That said, I still don't want to be a statistic because of some nitwit too engrossed in their cellphone to notice me. So it's not a fear of riding, but a fear of stupid people. This applies to cars as well as those cyclists who inexplicably need to be carrying on a telephone conversation or worse, riding with no hands so they can text. Them folks I just don't get.

I agree 100% and the problem is that you can not fix stupid.

Semi drivers concern me the least. Most are professionals which would have their careers shattered if they caused me any harm. They don't take stupid risks like a lot of impatient drivers do. I always give them a hand up when it's safe to pull back over after passing me. I often get a wave back in the mirror.

Truck Drivers are by and far the most safe drivers that I encounter, with very few exceptions. They are pros and have a lot more to lose of they get into any kind of accident. Like many things incentives and disincentives work.

martinez
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I believe cycling to be dangerous more so than driving solely because I don't have the protection that a car provides. I have been hit by cars 4 times in the past 5 years, which isn't too bad (only 1 real bad accident) and was never my fault. Each time it was due to the carelessness of the driver assuming they have the right of way.

first time- a driver sped up in front of me and made a right turn into a super market "driveway." I was on a single speed then and was going too fast to slam on the brakes so I jumped off the bike. It went under the truck and the truck proceeded to drive into the parking lot with my bike under it.
second time- a driver did an illegal u-turn on a main street to try and parellel park in front of a bakery which I was passing by and bumped me into the sidewalk.
third time- a car and I were reaching an intersection in opposite directions. I was going straight, he was taking a left (turning towards my right). I had lights and everything, but he continued to continue taking the turn as I was already in the intersection and t-boned me. thankfully he stopped but right away blamed me saying he had the right of way.

I was hit another time where it was someone just pushing me out of the way as they tried to take the lane furthest to the right where the bike lane was.

Accidents are likely to happen EVERYWHERE and at ANY time so I'm not always concerned, but I am more afraid of something happening while on a bike than in a car. Drunk drivers are also a thread. imo our bike lights can kind of attract drunk drivers like those bug zappers.

Another thing I thought about the other day was the fact that I am inhaling pollution constantly (thanks LA :no:)