PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bruce Lee

Kirk Pacenti
07-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Just saw this video and had to share it. Bruce Lee (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153017033810305&set=vb.219039541494265&type=2&theater)is mind-blowingly-good!

Cheers,
KP

KidWok
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Growing up as a Chinese immigrant with the last name "Lee", I always got asked if I was related to Bruce Lee...It took me years to figure out that saying "yes" was way more fun than saying "no".

I'm pretty sure the ping pong video was a fake though...I think it was a commercial.

Tai

54ny77
07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
the ping pong scene was nuts.

i cannot even fathom that. wow. :eek:

mktng
07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
was for a Nokia commercial. no?

Bruce Lee is my great uncle.

br995
07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Didn't watch the video (maintaining some semblance of being at work), but the mention of ping pong makes it pretty clear I've already seen it.

And it's fake (http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/pingpong.asp).

crownjewelwl
07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
my last name is also lee...used to drive me crazy

Kirk Pacenti
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Didn't watch the video (maintaining some semblance of being at work), but the mention of ping pong makes it pretty clear I've already seen it.

And it's fake (http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/pingpong.asp).

That's a bummer - but pretty cool anyway.

KidWok
07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
was for a Nokia commercial. no?

Bruce Lee is my great uncle.

No way??!! Mine too!

Tai

mktng
07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Mr. Lee.

I think we're related man. :P

hah.

Bruce Lee is definitely an icon. Unmatched. I always wonder what else he would have accomplished if he was still alive today.

KidWok
07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I was once designing a segment for an urban adventure race here in Seattle and thought it would have been really cool to have racers locate Bruce and Brandon Lees' headstones in the cemetery and then work their way up to Julia's on Broadway in Cap Hill. They would get kissed by a drag queen and then make it all the way back to the checkpoint with the lipstick still on their faces as proof. I would have called that stage "Enter the Drag Queen". We did end up sending the racers to the cemetery, but not the drag show.

Tai

ultraman6970
07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
1st time i see the ping pong video, amazing.

soulspinner
07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
the ping pong scene was nuts.

i cannot even fathom that. wow. :eek:

As a former section champion in ny I cant either, no way.

wooly
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Grew up in Chinatown in San Francisco in the 70's. HUGE BRUCE FAN.

Louis
07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Carl Douglas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0) had the last word on this...

54ny77
07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
you gave that up for cycling? that's madness!

;)

As a former section champion in ny I cant either, no way.

Chris
07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Fake ping pong aside...I truly believe that Bruce Lee was one of the greatest athletes of our time.

Ahneida Ride
07-09-2013, 04:16 PM
My last name is Norris .... :eek:

Believe that ? :banana:

Ahneida Ride
07-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Fake ping pong aside...I truly believe that Bruce Lee was one of the greatest athletes of our time.

good actor too ...

jghall
07-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Another Bruce Lee fan here. As corny as they were, loved watching his movies. Brings back great memories on my nunchuck days.

Always thought Bruce had to be one of the most fit people on the planet.

yngpunk
07-09-2013, 05:17 PM
For you Bruce Lee fans out there, you should watch Ip Man and Ip Man 2, two biographical martial arts films based loosely on the life of Ip Man, a grandmaster in the art of Wing Chun. Bruce Lee was a student of Ip Man and there's a funny scene at the end of Ip Man 2

bluesea
07-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I'd spent long years in Judo, and the local tournament circuit, but I still thought Bruce was awesome. ;)

Uncle Jam's Army
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Whenever my kids get started with "Chuck Norris is so tough . . . [fill in ridiculous statement]," I remind them that Bruce Lee kicked his butt in Return of the Dragon. :banana:

DreaminJohn
07-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Another Bruce Lee fan here. As corny as they were, loved watching his movies. Brings back great memories on my nunchuck days.

I actually have done a bunch of seminars with Dan Inosanto. Sifu Dan tells a couple of great stories about teaching Bruce Lee the nunchucks. Good times.

learningtoride
07-09-2013, 06:47 PM

soulspinner
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
you gave that up for cycling? that's madness!

;)

Hell no, my reflexes gave it up for me:p

slidey
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Yup, yup! Bruce Lee is a legend, and so is Ip man. I did see Ip Man, but haven't yet gotten round to Ip Man 2. Is it on netflix?

For you Bruce Lee fans out there, you should watch Ip Man and Ip Man 2, two biographical martial arts films based loosely on the life of Ip Man, a grandmaster in the art of Wing Chun. Bruce Lee was a student of Ip Man and there's a funny scene at the end of Ip Man 2

KidWok
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Yup, yup! Bruce Lee is a legend, and so is Ip man. I did see Ip Man, but haven't yet gotten round to Ip Man 2. Is it on netflix?

It was on Netflix when I had service...Donnie Yen is awesome.

Tai

slidey
07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Ah yes! You're right...added to Queue now. Yup, Donnie Yen is fantastic.

I also liked "Dragon - the Bruce Lee Story". I believe the actor in that is Jason Scott Lee; very good.

It was on Netflix when I had service...Donnie Yen is awesome.

Tai

Now off to my Kung Fu class :banana:

tuxbailey
07-09-2013, 09:33 PM
My last name is Lee too and when I was living in South America as a kid in the 80's, every other kid assumed that I know Kung Fu :)

KidWok
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM
My last name is Lee too and when I was living in South America as a kid in the 80's, every other kid assumed that I know Kung Fu :)

Having Lee as a last name opens up all sorts of possibilities for naming your children. My oldest son was born in 2008 and I wanted to name him Barack O. Lee. I'm a Civil War buff and thought it would be cool to name a son Ulysses Grant Lee...he could sign off as U.G. Lee.

Yeah...don't think too long about that...your brain might start hurting.

Tai

Louis
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Having Lee as a last name opens up all sorts of possibilities for naming your children.

Or maybe Sean Michael Lee, aka :)

UberBike
07-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Whenever my kids get started with "Chuck Norris is so tough . . . [fill in ridiculous statement]," I remind them that Bruce Lee kicked his butt in Return of the Dragon. :banana:

Watching that when I was young I kept thinking of the old skinny nerd and athletic twin bit, and laughed thinking he could pass Gilligan's brother.

UberBike
07-10-2013, 12:58 AM
I remember play fights where everyone wanted to be Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. I cant remember anyone calling themselves Chuck Norris.
I even recall a few friends naming themselves Jackie Black Chan. heh.

victoryfactory
07-10-2013, 04:34 AM

Hmmmm...
"Nunchuck Daze"
Mind if I use that name for my rock band?

VF

William
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I actually have done a bunch of seminars with Dan Inosanto. Sifu Dan tells a couple of great stories about teaching Bruce Lee the nunchucks. Good times.

Guro Dan has great stuff. Going to one of his seminars can be like trying to catch water in your mouth from a fire hose. So much knowledge, so little time.:cool:

William

Chris
07-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Guro Dan has great stuff. Going to one of his seminars can be like trying to catch water in your mouth from a fire hose. So much knowledge, so little time.:cool:

William

But the water that gets in your mouth becomes the mouth...

DreaminJohn
07-11-2013, 07:36 AM

William

I completely agree. I got a lot more out of them when I learned to "absorb what is useful" (trying to keep the Bruce Lee thing going here).

Watching him do a version of this was the absolute highlight for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

He said inside 12 ft he would win EVERY time. At 18 ft the cop had a "chance".

I recommend to anyone interested in Bruce Lee to do a little research on Guro Dan.

jghall
07-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Hmmmm...
"Nunchuck Daze"
Mind if I use that name for my rock band?

VF

It's all yours. As long as I get a complimentary concert t-shirt.

William
07-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I completely agree. I got a lot more out of them when I learned to "absorb what is useful" (trying to keep the Bruce Lee thing going here).

Watching him do a version of this was the absolute highlight for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

He said inside 12 ft he would win EVERY time. At 18 ft the cop had a "chance".

I recommend to anyone interested in Bruce Lee to do a little research on Guro Dan.

Yes, the 21' rule. That was a clip out of "Surviving Edged Weapons". A good reality check video. GT Gaje was in that as well.

But the water that gets in your mouth becomes the mouth...

Aka: the "Spitting Cobra" form. :)

William

verticaldoug
07-11-2013, 02:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VnFb5KFj0

I suspect a Muay Thai champ could have torn him to shreds.
The same with Judo.

William
07-11-2013, 06:17 PM
"I'm too hot to handle and too cold to hold!"

"Snap into a Slim Jim!"

http://royalrumbler.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/randy-savage.jpeg

William

PS: I kid of course!;):)

learningtoride
07-11-2013, 06:22 PM

beungood
05-17-2014, 07:38 PM

My Sifu trained with Ip Man in the 50's and also had Bruce Lee as a classmate. He has some cool stories!

tigoat
05-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Brandon was a great martial art actor too and I was a fan. It's a shame that he didn't speak any Cantonese like his dad could. Bruce Lee was great for one generation but nowadays with MMA, Kung Fu is not so great anymore.

Duende
05-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Bruce Lee invented MMA.

And while these days MMA is primarily comprised of boxing/kickboxing and grappling arts.

You still find some Kung fu in the ring. Anderson Silva anyone?

Practiced and taught Martial Arts for twenty plus years and during that time I've been made aware of many of Bruce's achievements. There's many documented well know full contact fights that Bruce had.

It wasn't easy for him being partially German and growing up in Hong Kong. Most likely the reason he never finished Wing Chun. As Yip Man was old school and Kung Fu systems were only taught completely to people of pure Chinese descent.

bobswire
05-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Yes, big fan of Chinese martial art films, Netflix is your friend!

gary135r
05-19-2014, 10:01 PM
The Ping pong scene was not Bruce Lee. I've studied and read Bruce's work for decades. If you look closely you can tell it's not him. There were a lot of Bruce Lee clones. Kinda like Elvis

redir
05-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Personally I think MMA is boring.

Lee was a bigger than life character like Ali.

CaliFly
05-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Personally I think MMA is boring.

Lee was a bigger than life character like Ali.

This. The personalities of Lee and Ali were bigger than their abilities as fighters. To get really cliche, they transcended the sport. Who do we have nowadays?