PDA

View Full Version : bianchi goes brit /iso threading on bb when?

kvnmuadib
07-09-2013, 02:12 AM
I picked up a bianchi /campy equipped bike,I'm guessing late 90's or slightly later..tigged dedaccia mega pro tubeset ,has guides on the hs tube for ergos,its 8spd but looks like the rear stays are curved to go 9/10...one broken mirage rear der and cranks,avanti shifters and brakes so definitely not high end...the ach style bb is very rusty on the drive side and as I have a nicer athena crankset with rings in better shape,just wondering if the ital thread ach bb i have will be a go....also its 115 whereas the ideal is 111 but I don't think it will be that much of a difference in the chainline....or should I just clean up bb and just change out rings?

kvnmuadib
07-09-2013, 02:24 AM
I'll post some pics soon ,I have some chorus dual pivotsa well ,I might flip it to a friend so its worh the upgrades ,got a 93 record rear rd and a later chorus braze on fd....I dont have the bb tools for the ach so i guess the lbs should know....just hate to turn the wrong direction to start when something might already be a hassle to get loose,usually the fixed cup ,but they are both fixed in cartridge bb's?:fight:

oliver1850
07-09-2013, 02:36 AM
My 1994 EL-OS is British threaded, but I don't know if all Bianchis from then on were.

Yes they are both fixed on the AC-H. If it's Italian (stamped 36mm x 24 TPI), both cups are RH thread. If British (stamped 1.370" x 24 TPI), the drive side is LH.

I'm assuming you don't have the bike in hand and are judging the BB condition from a picture. The bearings on an AC-H are pretty well isolated. If there was any grease inside the cups, the bearings may be fine. If the BB is junk, I suggest getting another 111. The black Centaur is probably the best choice, but if you want to keep the cost down you can often pick up an AC-H or AC-S very inexpensively. Another option is an older Athena (either sealed or loose ball), which you can still find for generally less than the Centaur. Miche also makes a 111 I think.

ultraman6970
07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Many italian manufacturers were shipping bikes with british BB back late 80s so far i remember. Why? no clear idea but probably because of the driver side and because if the threads are damaged at least you can fix the frame (if you have the tools, dexterity or who can do it).

No idea if pinarello is still italian, I believe they still are, carrera I believe is still manufacturing with italian BBs.

csm
07-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I think some were and some weren't. Iirc, the Italian ones were Italian threaded and the Japanese and Taiwanese were English....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

choke
07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I think some were and some weren't. Iirc, the Italian ones were Italian threaded and the Japanese and Taiwanese were English...My Reparto Corse built CX frame, circa '97, has English threads.

oliver1850
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I think some were and some weren't. Iirc, the Italian ones were Italian threaded and the Japanese and Taiwanese were English....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The EL-OS was close to top of the line and Reparto Corse built.

kvnmuadib
07-11-2013, 01:34 AM
thnx for the replies ...when I get it apart i will let you all know the results

thirdgenbird
07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
My Reparto Corse built CX frame, circa '97, has English threads.

My "made in Italy" reparto corse Cx also as British thread.

Mark McM
07-11-2013, 12:24 PM
My "made in Italy" reparto corse Cx also as British thread.

Or is it ISO?

British: 1.370" x 24 tpi

ISO: 1.375" x 24 tpi

For practical purposes, they are interchangeable.

thirdgenbird
07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Or is it ISO?

British: 1.370" x 24 tpi

ISO: 1.375" x 24 tpi

For practical purposes, they are interchangeable.

I guess I can't say for sure.