PDA

View Full Version : TDF, Orica GE & the beautiful theory

rustychisel
07-08-2013, 06:14 AM
My partner explained this wonderful theory thus:

Knowing Froome was likely to claim the maillot jaune in a few days and therefore the title of 'first African born rider to wear the yellow jersey', a plan was concocted whereby Gerrans relinquished the jersey to Impey, thus allowing him to claim that honour.

When you know the Australian psyche this is an easy one to believe; in fact I'll go so far as to finger DS Matt White for this one. Brilliant, psychological, but pointless. Nonetheless fun.

katematt
07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the insight from down under.

Someone once famous once said "there are no gifts in cycling" but in this case it was a win win all around and the epitome of a team effort.

Cheers

tiretrax
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I guess Rustychisel is lucky enough not to have to listen to Phil Ligget overflow with drivel about Impy (and every rider from the former british empire). It was a nice achievement, nonetheless, and a great tactic for OGE to share the jersey amongst its team.

MattTuck
07-08-2013, 01:27 PM
God help us when someone from India pulls on the yellow jersey. Will probably be some guy from the Himalaya... I bet those dudes can climb.

...listen to Phil Ligget overflow with drivel about Impy (and every rider from the former british empire).

As for the theory, that is pretty cool and at the same time passive aggressive. I'm no fan of Sky, so I like it. At the same time, Froome (as I understand it) had all sorts of problems with the sporting federation in Kenya... I think at one time, he'd have been a proud flag bearer for the African nation.... now, I'm not so sure. He may have felt some resentment about being called the first African yellow jersey wearer given that Kenya didn't let him race under their federation.

rustychisel
07-08-2013, 05:34 PM
I guess Rustychisel is lucky enough not to have to listen to Phil Ligget overflow with drivel about Impy (and every rider from the former british empire). It was a nice achievement, nonetheless, and a great tactic for OGE to share the jersey amongst its team.

Ah, but we do (get the Phil n Paul show), for which I'm glad since Matthew Keenan's understanding of race tactics involves a perfect understanding of everything he's ever read, and no more. But you're right about the spirit of Empire.

alexstar
07-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Seems true:

“Simon could have kept the jersey if he had wanted, but he gave up his opportunity to give me an opportunity of my own,” explained Impey. “That shows exactly what this team is about. We have a culture where everyone is important and everyone gets an opportunity. I’m really thankful for that.”

via pez

soulspinner
07-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Seems true:

“Simon could have kept the jersey if he had wanted, but he gave up his opportunity to give me an opportunity of my own,” explained Impey. “That shows exactly what this team is about. We have a culture where everyone is important and everyone gets an opportunity. I’m really thankful for that.”

via pez

Cool