PDA

View Full Version : Chainguard for matte finish carbon? HELP

tkdbrusco
07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
I have a Meivici SG, matte carbon finish. Looks great but the supplied chain guard won't stick. I bought some contact paper but that didn't work either. Anyone have experience with this? I'm cringing every time I hit a bump.

lemondvictoire
07-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Did you clean the area with alcohol before applying the chain guard? You can alway overlap your contact paper completely around itself. Mountain bikers always add zip ties to their chain guard or make them out of old tubes(I know they don't look very good). I have used 3m clear automotive protective tape to protect carbon and it's available in different thicknesses. Hope that helps!

rustychisel
07-08-2013, 12:16 AM
In the past I've shaped the guards before sticking them in position by heating them in a very moderate oven until they're supple and able to be manipulated a bit into shape. Used to work for Lizard Skins.

hope this helps.

djdj
07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Look into clear 3M guard. Many places on-line sell kits for bikes. Goes on easily, is nearly invisible, and lasts a long time. Also works a treat to prevent cable rub on the headtube and other places. Here's where I got mine: http://www.empireclearshield.com/site/1325795/product/PPFbike They do say it doesn't stick well to matte paint, however.

avalonracing
07-08-2013, 08:07 AM
If you do figure out how to get it to stick and you want a ton of protect Lizard Skins makes a leather chain guard with a carbon look. I have them on my MTBs because the leather dampens the sound of the chain hitting the chain stay.

AngryScientist
07-08-2013, 08:17 AM
cleaning the area surgically clean with alcohol is absolutely key to getting them to stick, in my experience.

UberBike
07-10-2013, 12:50 AM
If you do figure out how to get it to stick and you want a ton of protect Lizard Skins makes a leather chain guard with a carbon look. I have them on my MTBs because the leather dampens the sound of the chain hitting the chain stay.

I also like the carbon look Lizard Skins.
3M upholstery adhesive sticks to just about everything. Spray it on sparingly to the underside and let it dry till it feels tacky and sticks to your finger. Then pop it on. With practice you can get it to where you can get a coating stick and remove it if your placement is not right.

I've kept a can of that stuff around for lots of stuff throughout many industries I have worked in. Works great for re attaching head badges and other bike related things.

If you use contact paper, you may want to use the poster grade. It has a stronger hold then the cheaper stuff. You can buy it in rolls. Might be more economical if you don't have as many uses for the upholstery spray.

tkdbrusco
07-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Got the lizard skins and warmed a bit in the over, worked like a charm! Thanks everyone!