PDA

View Full Version : Bang for buck/reasonable priced CF bike?

professerr
07-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I’m not well versed in the current ecosystem of race geo carbon bikes. What’s the best bang for the buck carbon fiber complete bike? Shimano 105 component level would be fine, and I could convince myself to go Ultegra (mechanical). What are the go-to bikes at this level?

The key thing is "bang for buck" -- what is the sweet spot? I tested a Tarmac locally, and some folks at vsalon suggested a Giant TCR (before the nervous mods there quickly locked the tread which I’ve now cribbed here). Can’t stomach a Trek due to acute Lancitis. Feel free to send me to a thread on this if it has been covered -- I couldn't think what to search under here.

GScot
07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
If you're not allergic to SRAM and the geometry is good for you Velo Vie could be considered a fair deal. I have a 300R and like it a lot. Pez has written about them in the past. I'm not connected but their shop is half a block from mine and I see a lot of them on the road around PHX.

cdn_bacon
07-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I second the TCR in the bang for your buck. absolutely love mine. then again I love compact frames.
darnellrm sold me his 2003 and it's a beaut.:hello:

bfd
07-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Don't know where you're located, but if you're near Reno, NV, check out Scheels, one of the largest sporting goods shops in the US - they have a ferris wheel in the middle of the store and I've never seen so much camouflage in my life!

Anyways, Scheels has a great deal on the 2012 Fuji Altermira with Ultegra di2 at $2450! That's $500 cheaper than the best online deal I could find at Performance Bike:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1118308_-1_400315__400315

Granted, Fuji does cut corners by using "Oval" parts (must be their house brand) on the brakes, hs, hbar, stem and wheels; further, they have something called a rotor crank, which I never heard of, still $2450 is probably the cheapest deal on the market for di2! Good Luckl! :eek::banana::butt:

slidey
07-07-2013, 05:40 PM
If this fits you, and you're not averse to building up the bike yourself then this is a great frame at a very good price.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=131345

I do ride a Ridley Excalibur, and its phenomenal. At the risk of comparing apples to oranges, it blows my MX Leader (Steel), my Merckx Premium (Sc), and my former Lemond Victoire (Ti) out of the water in every conceivable way.

thwart
07-07-2013, 05:44 PM
"Oval" parts (must be their house brand)

they have something called a rotor crank, which I never heard of

:rolleyes:

professerr
07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
If this fits you, and you're not averse to building up the bike yourself then this is a great frame at a very good price.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=131345

That's too big and I'm looking for something new, but thanks for the other suggestions.

Ardan MacNessa
07-07-2013, 05:50 PM
The key thing is "bang for buck" -- what is the sweet spot? I tested a Tarmac locally, and some folks at vsalon suggested a Giant TCR (before the nervous mods there quickly locked the tread which I’ve now cribbed here). Can’t stomach a Trek due to acute Lancitis. Feel free to send me to a thread on this if it has been covered -- I couldn't think what to search under here.
You might want to check out Neuvation (http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product-list/neuvation-bikes-1342/). I've met a few riders who love them and have ridden them for a few season now. Check out what they have to offer.

AngryScientist
07-07-2013, 06:08 PM
i never play this card, but you might want to check your local shops, they may have some new stock they need to move out the door as the season is well underway. a bunch of guys in my club ride specialized carbon stuff and they all love them.

rnhood
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I think you are very safe with a Tarmac or TCR, and getting it from a dealer puts your warranty on good footing. Other brands are good too so its hard to go wrong these days.

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
i never play this card, but you might want to check your local shops, they may have some new stock they need to move out the door as the season is well underway. a bunch of guys in my club ride specialized carbon stuff and they all love them.

I would add to this that many liquidate their rental fleet (many which see very little use) towards the end of the summer. One shop I know of will put the rental fee of the bike towards the purchase if you buy it.

biker72
07-07-2013, 07:19 PM

The 2014 bikes are arriving daily where I work. The 2013 models are being discounted quite a bit. There are some 2012 bikes that are actually priced below cost.

A LBS in your area might have some good deals too. Shops will negotiate.

texbike
07-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Check out the Cannondale Super Six. (5, 4, or 3). They do cut corners on brakes (usually Tektros), bars, stem, seat, and seatposts. However, they are fantastic bikes and reasonably priced.

There are a BUNCH of them floating around and there aren't any significant differences between the 2011s-2013s. Check out ebay. It may be easy to find a NOS '11 or '12 for a very good price. You may even be able to find one in Liquigas colors and channel your inner Sagan. ;)

Happy Shopping!

Texbike

Uncle Jam's Army
07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I would go with Scott bikes. They don't skimp on components and still keep the price very low. Ritchey stem and bars and Syncros wheels (which are manufactured by DT Swiss around a DT Swiss 240 hub).

Ardan MacNessa
07-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Check out the Cannondale Super Six. (5, 4, or 3). They do cut corners on brakes (usually Tektros), bars, stem, seat, and seatposts. However, they are fantastic bikes and reasonably priced.
That's what I did with my SuperSix. Ran me $2,200 with Ultegra gray anodized and Mavic Elites. All carbon stem, bars and seat post. End of year model [2008 bought in 2009], big discount. That's always a fair bet to finding a 2012 or 2013 now discounted too.

shovelhd
07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
A sweet spot without a price range is tough.

My vote is for the Felt F5.

Steve in SLO
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
For something you won't see coming or going, you might want to look at this lugged CF Neuvation:

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product/neuvation-fc100-carbon-bike-ultegra-6700-1293.htm

These are pretty nice frames and for $1850 built with Ultegra , it's anattractive pricepoint.

John sources good stuff and has GREAT customer servce.

BryanE
07-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Used but not abused bike.
The hunt is the most fun.

rustychisel
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
In terms of manufacturers it's usually hard to go past Giant for bang for buck. Otherwise, as mentioned, local store blowouts.

[down here, midwinter, nearly all stores are offering 'TDF' specials on 2013 stock and some of the deals are... err, deals]. Look for your LBS' doing 'Tour specials'

Tandem Rider
07-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Visit your local high end shop with a real fitter, get fitted, buy the one that fits thats in your price range. A bike that's $100, $500, whatever cheaper that doesn't fit right isn't a deal. If you have a resulting knee/back/shoulder problem you would pay that to make it go away so what's the difference?

oldpotatoe
07-08-2013, 07:22 AM
The 2014 bikes are arriving daily where I work. The 2013 models are being discounted quite a bit. There are some 2012 bikes that are actually priced below cost.

A LBS in your area might have some good deals too. Shops will negotiate.

Ahh, the joys of retail.

Bob Ross
07-08-2013, 07:23 AM
:rolleyes:

Yeah, ^^^this.