PDA

View Full Version : July 4 holiday weekend ride reports

BumbleBeeDave
07-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I was lucky enough to score a 4 day holiday weekend. Anybody else?

On Friday I went up to North Creek and did a 42 mile paved/dirt ramble I had mapped out specifically to take me on some new roads in the area. I got what I wanted--and then some. It was a pretty hot day and the biggest climb--up and around Crane Mountain--was dirt and full of deer flies. There was just a cloud of them around me. Great motivation to climb as fast as possible! Also the final dirt segment on River Road was pretty well washed out in a couple of places (see picture) but no problem to get off and walk a bit.

But overall, lots of open roads, hardly a car in sight, and some beautiful scenery to enjoy and photograph. Here's a link to the map and cue sheet: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2789227

Then Saturday I went over to Crown Point and did a ride up into the hills with my friend Ron. That was 33 miles.

So who else did some major rides this weekend?

BBD

fourflys
07-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Here's my patriotic picture of my Black Mountain Cycles in from the of the Coast Guard Cutter Alex Haley in Kodiak
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-DT66wGf/0/XL/P1000703-XL.jpg

jtakeda
07-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Nice pics. I too was lucky enough to have a 4 day weekend.

Rode on the 4th and yesterday but not too many pics too share.

BumbleBeeDave
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
. . . on the top tube?

BBD

Here's my patriotic picture of my Black Mountain Cycles in from the of the Coast Guard Cutter Alex Haley in Kodiak
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-DT66wGf/0/XL/P1000703-XL.jpg

fourflys
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Dave,
It says "Black Mountain Cycles" in Taiwanese...

Jack Brunk
07-07-2013, 06:44 PM
4 day for me as well. Got in 140 miles of single tracking riding and a tad less than 14K of riding. 3 geared Firefly rides and 1 day of SS on the Mootry. Recovered well with some just released Stone RuinTen which is terrific.

fourflys
07-07-2013, 07:14 PM
and this is what I did the rest of the day after my fat bike ride today... (the teenager was NOT amused)

http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Other/Kodiak/i-W3QJKbV/0/XL/P1000734-XL.jpg
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Other/Kodiak/i-MRk62Gf/0/XL/P1000723-XL.jpg

ofcounsel
07-07-2013, 07:51 PM
I had the opportunity to get out on a leisurely 65 mile ride from Angel Stadium/Amtrak Station in Anaheim over to the City of Oceanside. The route took us about 10 miles west along the Santa Ana River Trail over to Pacific Coast Highway. Once on PCH, we headed south through Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente. The trip also took us through Camp Pendleton Marine Base, which is a great alternative to riding a bike along Interstate 5.

My buddies and I rolled out at about 6:15 am rolling at an easy 15-16mph pace. Of course, we had to fix 3 flats along the way. Once we got to Oceanside, it was time for an awesome relaxed lunch with Cheeseburgers, fish tacos and Stone IPA :)

After our hearty lunch, we jumped on the 1:22 pm Metrolink commuter train back to Angel Stadium.

Overall, a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

BumbleBeeDave
07-07-2013, 08:04 PM
All I can say to the unhappy teenager is . . . BAZINGA!

:p

BBD

Tandem Rider
07-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Got to ride all 4 days with the amazing Mrs. TR on the tandem. Hilly 45 on Thursday, hilly 80 on Friday, 50 each on Saturday and Sunday. Thursday and Today were fast and hard today was a real throwdown due to someone new on tri bars that wanted to ride on them in a double paceline. Mrs. TR says she now knows what training camp is like...

Also went mtbing with the male offspring on Saturday for 1.5 hours (his idea). He still insists on flat pedals with tennis shoes, had to give it some stick to maintain a couple of bike lengths to keep him comfortable. If it ever clicks and he gets serious I'll need him to wait for me.

Final accounting says 225 miles 19.6 mph including warmups, cool downs, and the lone potty stop on the 80 mile day, not including mtb time.

fourflys
07-07-2013, 09:07 PM
All I can say to the unhappy teenager is . . . BAZINGA!

:p

BBD

yep, it makes it interesting having a teenager... and right about the time the first one is off to college, the second one should be ramping up to teenage angst right about that time... :bike:

wouldn't trade them for the world though... :banana:

Nooch
07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
got out for 40-something Friday, 25-ish yesterday with a broken spoke on my new (to me) 404's, and 40-ish today.

Happy with the riding, not with the heat..

downtube
07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Friday we rode from woodside up Kings Mt then up skyline. 8o in woodside and fog so thick on the top it was like rain. weird.

Sat rode in the hills near Pleasanton.

Sun rode 55 miles Pleasanton, Livermore, through the hills to Danville back to Sunol Great day perfect in every way.

tigoat
07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
It rained from Thrusday to Saturday here in southern Ohio. This morning it was clear so I rode my single speed for 65 miles with about 3k of climbing. Sorry no photo to share at this time. Beautiful country in Alaska!

tiretrax
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I took off the week (which also occured with unusually low humidity and cool temperatures) since I had a furlough day on Friday. I did a bunch of rides on the normal in-town route, with the longest being 55. The normal summer weather pattern has returned - 90's and humidity over 40%, just in time for my front derailleur cable to break, so no riding this weekend.

Matthew
07-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Did the Rock and Road 4th. of July ride out of Grand Haven that is 62 miles Thursday. An easy 21 miles solo Friday and 52 miles on a group ride Saturday. Did 24 miles on Sunday that included a peek or two at Lake Michigan. Pretty happy with my weekend. Matthew.