PDA

View Full Version : Was cycling the mistress you married

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I thought about this as I was out at the driving range with my 5 year old the other day.

I used to be hardcore/married to golf....at one time carried a 1.3 handicap

Started cycling in the late 90s and it quickly/essentially replaced golf for me

I've had quite a few bad days on the golf course...can't remember the last time I had a bad day on the bike (psychologically/ good experience/happy)

I am getting my 5 and 3 year old into golf. My five year old loves it...and I enjoy the time with him, and find myself enjoying swinging the sticks again.....but it just doesn't scratch the itch for me like cycling does.

....anyone else?

texbike
07-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm with you. I've had a couple of hardcore interests over the years (mostly cars, motorcycles, and guitars) but decided that cycling was the best for me. It still has the eye candy machinery combined with actual physical exertion and activity. A good combo...

As for golf, my last 18 hole game was at Duke in 2008. It was about this time of year and we were sweating it out on the 12th hole on a really hot, humid day. As we stood there dripping sweat, a group of cyclists went by us on the road and I immediately realized that I would MUCH rather be riding than playing golf. I haven't played golf since (other than putt-putt with the kids or a little pitch n' putt 9 holer that's nearby). Unfortunately we have a work function/golf outing this coming week. I'm not really looking forward to it... :(

Texbike

witcombusa
07-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Never marry a mistress...it ruins everything :no:

Black Dog
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Yep, we hooked up when I was 13 and 27 years latter we are still knocking cleats.

jeffreyt
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
cycling isn't my mistress, but a great "friend with benefits". my wife has her own hobbies, so it never interferes with our marriage.

jeff

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
cycling isn't my mistress, but a great "friend with benefits". my wife has her own hobbies, so it never interferes with our marriage.

jeff

I meant it more the way Texbike interpreted it....basically did it replace another passion? My wife viewed cycling as competition initially, but realized that I am the best for everyone when I am able to get out for a ride. She is one of its (my cycling) biggest supporters.

Cat3roadracer
07-07-2013, 04:26 PM
This is funny. I played golf in high school, division 1 golf in college, and was an assistant pro for two years after college. I play about three times a year now and it bores me to tears. After about the 12 hole I can't handle the lack of adrenaline. In those four hours I could have ridden X number of miles.

No going back.

tigoat
07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Still have my other hobbies but cycling, like motorcycling once was, is the main one for me nowadays with most of disposable income going into it.

Gummee
07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
In college I was a fun hog. Climbing, Ultimate, running, mtn biking, swimming, racquetball... You name it, I probably did it.

Then my mtn bike got stolen and I started riding my theretofore neglected road bike.

...and got better. So I started riding more.

...and got better. So I started riding more.

Fast forward a few years and I'm a 'cyclist' not a fun hog.

I really enjoy mtn biking, but HATE driving to go riding.
I love racing cross
I really enjoy gravel road riding
I love racing track

etc

M

professerr
07-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I've had quite a few bad days on the golf course...can't remember the last time I had a bad day on the bike (psychologically/ good experience/happy)

My SO golfs. I ride. We both agree that it is just as rare for her to be happier after a round as it is for me not to be after a ride.

Ardan MacNessa
07-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I meant it more the way Texbike interpreted it....basically did it replace another passion? My wife viewed cycling as competition initially, but realized that I am the best for everyone when I am able to get out for a ride. She is one of its (my cycling) biggest supporters.
Cycling has been the worst and best thing in my life. As a child I didn't have a bicycle until late. After a summer with farming wages I bought one used. I was a runner, like most children, I ran everywhere. Once owning a bicycle the world changed completely. It wasn't long before discovering how far one could ride between breakfast and lunch when parents wanted children at their tables. After awhile it was rides between breakfast and dinnertime skipping lunches. Everything was amazing in life while exploring the world under one's own power. It was always a battle between academics and cycling. Afterward it was a battle between the job and the bike. I always tried to marinate the two together happily. The downfall was all those countries the bicycle brought me to throughout my life. Great moments in different places but I'll never be able to lump them all on one road or path. When I'm at the family table with my children and see all the languages they speak and places they've lived, you have to thank the power of the pedal. From a child who just farmed and suddenly discovered cycling that's an impressive mistress few could understand.

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Cycling has been the worst and best thing in my life. As a child I didn't have a bicycle until late. After a summer with farming wages I bought one used. I was a runner, like most children, I ran everywhere. Once owning a bicycle the world changed completely. It wasn't long before discovering how far one could ride between breakfast and lunch when parents wanted children at their tables. After awhile it was rides between breakfast and dinnertime skipping lunches. Everything was amazing in life while exploring the world under one's own power. It was always a battle between academics and cycling. Afterward it was a battle between the job and the bike. I always tried to marinate the two together happily. The downfall was all those countries the bicycle brought me to throughout my life. Great moments in different places but I'll never be able to lump them all on one road or path. When I'm at the family table with my children and see all the languages they speak and places they've lived, you have to thank the power of the pedal. From a child who just farmed and suddenly discovered cycling that's an impressive mistress few could understand.

:) ...thanks for sharing that ...Geoff

majorpat
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes, at 14 I was smitten early. Golf? Never saw the point.

cmg
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
did a charity ride yesterday. started at 7am, finished at 10am. not to bad, 43 miles, most of it was flat with some rollers. At lunch i kept thinking i should of have done the 60+ mile route. oh yea, i'm in deep.

gasproject
07-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I think i just have an additive personality. First it was a classic car. Restored it, spent a fortune on parts and books. Then I bought a motorcycle. Bought 2 great bikes, expensive gear, spent a fortune on magazine subscriptions. Then I got more into cycling. Mountain bikes, road, classic steel. Bought the best gear, spend a heap on magazines and time reading blogs. A real passion. Then last week someone gave me a really nice fly rod. Should my wife be concerned?

pbarry
07-07-2013, 09:44 PM

That is beautiful.

Good on you Geoff for starting this thread.

Cycling was always a part of my parents and my life. No other mistress here, except for the fairer sex.. My father got lost in the family game of golf, (both of his parents were pros), so the comments here re: golf, give me some insight into his obsession with the little white ball and why he was never happy with his game. Sincere thanks for that. :)

I'm far richer in experience for learning to pedal early and using the bike for freedom, solace, and fitness, in that order. I worry about children today, whose parents won't let them ride outside their neighborhood, or ride to school. Cycling remains the best way to explore the world, near and far, and make friends while doing it. Cheers, all.

pbarry
07-07-2013, 09:50 PM
I think i just have an additive personality. First it was a classic car. Restored it, spent a fortune on parts and books. Then I bought a motorcycle. Bought 2 great bikes, expensive gear, spent a fortune on magazine subscriptions. Then I got more into cycling. Mountain bikes, road, classic steel. Bought the best gear, spend a heap on magazines and time reading blogs. A real passion. Then last week someone gave me a really nice fly rod. Should my wife be concerned?

Yes, she should. It's in the same vein as cycling. An addictive but healthy pursuit, and infinity+ with choices of gear. I've been consciously resisting the lure of fly fishing for several years. Let us know ho this goes..

pdmtong
07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I would rather windsurf anytime than cycle.

I would rather mtb than road.

I would rather tandem mtb than mtb.

The problem with windsurfing is that it is weather-dependent. but, ask anyone who surfs or does water sports. the rush and fun factor is off the chart whereas I would say cycling is really enjoyable.

cycling is fun, and it has the benefit of being something I can do my entire life

mistress? no, not really.

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 11:44 PM

The problem with windsurfing is that it is weather-dependent. but, ask anyone who surfs or does water sports. the rush and fun factor is off the chart whereas I would say cycling is really enjoyable.

cycling is fun, and it has the benefit of being something I can do my entire life

For someone that doesn't really like road bikes...you sure have some nice rides...would hate to see your windsurfing equip.

pdmtong
07-07-2013, 11:56 PM
For someone that doesn't really like road bikes...you sure have some nice rides...would hate to see your windsurfing equip.

I wouldn't say I don't really like road bikes..I am just saying there is/was something else in my life that I am a lot more passionate about. hence the cycling not my mistress.

Imagine being the fastest craft on water, water ski speed in a black diamond mogul field...so windy that spray is blowing sideways off the tops of rollers and you can go anywhere you want and continuously launch off rollers into the air...swell so big you cant see over it when in the trough. that's high wind bump and jump sailing. A total rush.

wave sailing is even more so...only I am not so good when it gets big.

As for cycling, road, mtb cross, dh....I am def into it. all four s disciplines. just saying a like it a lot but the passion hasn't achieved mistress category...

The problem with windsurfing is you can only do it when there is wind.
Letting wind dictate ones life tends to make wife unhappy. not so much with riding...especially when single track tandem mtb with her!

you really had a 1.3 handicap? golf isnt fun unless you can be decent. I was lousy.

don compton
07-07-2013, 11:56 PM
This is funny. I played golf in high school, division 1 golf in college, and was an assistant pro for two years after college. I play about three times a year now and it bores me to tears. After about the 12 hole I can't handle the lack of adrenaline. In those four hours I could have ridden X number of miles.

No going back.
I am probably a few years older than you. I played at Cal in the early 70's. Played in the NCAA tourney in San Diego the year Curtis Strange won. Graduated, got a job, belonged to a club, won the club championship 7 years in a row. In 1984, after watching Grewal winning the Olympic road race, I decided to start cycling as a replacement for running. My back was killing me and Golf was no help. I was 32 at the time. By the time I was 40, I just quit golf.
I think I enjoyed cycling because I never expected to be good at it and I didn't care. I just enjoyed the ride.
At 61, I am enjoying the ride as much as ever.:banana:

pdmtong
07-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I am probably a few years older than you. I played at Cal in the early 70's. Played in the NCAA tourney in San Diego the year Curtis Strange won. Graduated, got a job, belonged to a club, won the club championship 7 years in a row. In 1984, after watching Grewal winning the Olympic road race, I decided to start cycling as a replacement for running. My back was killing me and Golf was no help. I was 32 at the time. By the time I was 40, I just quit golf.
I think I enjoyed cycling because I never expected to be good at it and I didn't care. I just enjoyed the ride.
At 61, I am enjoying the ride as much as ever.:banana:

Go Bears. I just took some friends up to visit the campus on Friday. they all look so young. made the mistake of going into latimer hall and seeing those homework drop boxes for physics 5A.....brought back some very stressful memories!

firerescuefin
07-08-2013, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't say I don't really like road bikes..I am just saying there is/was something else in my life that I am a lot more passionate about. hence the cycling not my mistress.

Imagine being the fastest craft on water, water ski speed in a black diamond mogul field...so windy that spray is blowing sideways off the tops of rollers and you can go anywhere you want and continuously launch off rollers into the air...swell so big you cant see over it when in the trough. that's high wind bump and jump sailing. A total rush.

As for cycling, road, mtb cross, dh....I am def into it. all four s disciplines. just saying a like it a lot but the passion hasn't achieved mistress category...

The problem with windsurfing is you can only do it when there is wind.
Letting wind dictate ones life tends to make wife unhappy. not so much with riding...especially when single track tandem mtb with her!

you really had a 1.3 handicap? golf isnt fun unless you can be decent. I was lousy.

I was just busting your chops...I've seen and read enough about you to know you at least enjoy cycling on some level ;)

I was a better golfer than I am a cyclist...but it was all about how good I played...and when I wasn't playing well, or what I perceived as well, I was miserable. I like being fit and fast on the bike...and would like to be more serious about racing, but it doesn't drive my joy on the bike. Riding is great...riding with good friends and sharing a beer afterward...nothing better. Liking many have mentioned on here, the bike is where I go to think...where I go to not think, to ride away my stress, and just enjoy the day.

Elefantino
07-08-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm currently in a hostel in Ashland, Ore., with 10 others who are all younger than my son, preparing to take the two-week pro mechanics course starting tomorrow at UBI.

Cycling has been my avocation but will, when I return, become my vocation as I plunge headlong into the world of retail managing. No turning back now. I left newspapering in the rear-view mirror, like others of you on this forum, and am starting my second career.

This is going to be fun.

bironi
07-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Very cool. I don't think I have ever heard it put more clearly in my life.
Thanks much,
By

bironi
07-08-2013, 12:29 AM
i think i just have an additive personality. First it was a classic car. Restored it, spent a fortune on parts and books. Then i bought a motorcycle. Bought 2 great bikes, expensive gear, spent a fortune on magazine subscriptions. Then i got more into cycling. Mountain bikes, road, classic steel. Bought the best gear, spend a heap on magazines and time reading blogs. A real passion. Then last week someone gave me a really nice fly rod. Should my wife be concerned?

yes.

pdmtong
07-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I was a better golfer than I am a cyclist...but it was all about how good I played...and when I wasn't playing well, or what I perceived as well, I was miserable.

I can relate to this...the better I got at sailing the more wind I needed/wanted to "have a good time". at some point the great days got fewer and fewer simply because there just aren't many 35mph+ days and Ilet the bar get higher and higher. so then I would get all grumpy.

***!

this isnt how you are supposed ot enjoy a sport. so, for that, cycling is always great. you can do it anytime of day in any weather and it's all up to you. it has technology, fitness, fashion, speed, skill, somersetting for everyone. what's not to like?

as for the bikes..I def need to keep riding enough so people dont look at me and think "see that guy with the nice bike, what a freaking poseur!"

rustychisel
07-08-2013, 01:00 AM
interesting responses.

At the age of 4 1/2 I was probably too young to understand the concept of a mistress, but that was when I started cycling (got of my red trike on to 2 wheels), and cycled up until the age of about 30, when my only bike was stolen. I pretty much put cycling into a compartment (done with that) until 8 years later my partner suggested a ride along the river path one sunny afternoon. I cavilled and resisted, but eventually pumped up the tyres of an old steel roadie I'd picked up and stored in the shed.

25km later I was stuffed, my cheeks ached, I couldn't look at a slope let alone a hill, my thighs were on fire. Two days later I went out on my own and did the same route, came home and said 'There was something missing in my life' to her.

Nearly 15 years ago now

oldpotatoe
07-08-2013, 07:37 AM

I ran for a long time. I was a typical addicted runner of the late 70s, early 80s, Read books about endorphines and such, why I ran. Wife said I was 'running away', I was. Injuries means I started riding a bike but now, if something else comes up, I don't ride, no big deal.

Cycling is keen and all but If I couldn't, I do something else is all. Like Hike, walk.

Maybe I'll be more interested when I'm outta bike retail. That takes a toll.

jr59
07-08-2013, 08:18 AM
For me, it was and has always been basketball. I played @ the D1 level @ a major BB school. Got really injured and couldn't jump or explode any more. So I searched for a sport. Got pretty good at playing golf with a 4 HC. My love for basketball led me to coaching it at every level. From pee-wee to the pro level. Was thought of the best HS talent scout in the US for a while. All the while playing golf and trying to maintain that level. VERY hard to do. It also started to give me back problems. Sort of found cycling as a sport after the back gave out. Got hit by a truck and broke my back, took 5+ years to get back, but I did.

So after all that ramble. (sorry) I guess I have always been tied to a sport of some kind. I'll never be a great rider, just an old guy riding a bike is fine by me.

Hats off to Geoff for that low of HC. That takes a LOT of work, day in and day out!

merlinmurph
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Man, tell me about it. I was absolutely addicted to windsurfing at one time. First thing I did when I woke up was listen to NOAA and hope I heard those 3 magic words - "Small craft warnings". If so, I'd load up the car, head to work and blow out early. My favorite place was in Buzzards Bay (Cape Cod) where if I went out a ways, would get some great swells with steep ramps. After spending lots of weekend days sitting on the beach waiting for wind, I rediscovered my bike and liked the fact that I could actually just head out and do something without waiting for the right conditions. A few mt bikes and road bikes later, haven't winsurfed in a long time.

Still have all my gear, old as it is.

Skiing is probably still #1.

Murph

Dave B
07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I think I have an addictive type of personality. I grew up through college playing soccer. Damaged my body thoroughly.

While in college I became addicted to climbing, would climb anything and everything...did foolish things.

In 2000 I went to grad school and in a huge depression read Lance's first book. Got me out of a huge funk, bought a bike and began killing myself on it. Loved it. I think I got too wrapped up in the tools of it and lst my joy of riding.

A few years ago,got into lifting again. Got wicked strong and then big. Too big.

Now back at it and running on a track, but the running feels like someone is stabbing me with knives in my knees. Popped something in my shoulder this morning and it hurts. Sent out my cross bike today to a forum member for waaaay less than it is worth.

Call it a bad day all around.

I might stick to motorcycles. They are darn fun!

Trying to make my family the most important thing in my world! They are the best of me!

SamIAm
07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Basketball used to have a hold on me, then golf, then wine collecting, then cycling. I, like a lot of people, probably turned to cycling out of necessity, having used my body thoroughly as a young man through various high impact sports.

The bicycle was a time machine that took me back to my pain free youth and yet leveraged the fitness strength, coordination and competition that was still there. It was and is freeing.

I also loved the technology or lack thereof actually, more the craftsmanship of hand built frames and I spent a good bit of time lusting over these and a good number of dollars and patience pursuing them.

But as basketball, golf and wine collecting waned, cycling will also. I can already feel it receding. I’m not going to go all religious on you, but in my worldview the human heart was not built for things, but for God.

I remember with such clarity being at a wedding reception 9 or so years ago. I had been out for a century around the Asheville area and was feeling good. And then it hit me, that at some point I would have to give this up, old age, injury etc. and I was immediately depressed, I couldn’t imagine life without it. Now I can, easily.

jr59
07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Basketball used to have a hold on me, then golf, then wine collecting, then cycling. I, like a lot of people, probably turned to cycling out of necessity, having used my body thoroughly as a young man through various high impact sports.

The bicycle was a time machine that took me back to my pain free youth and yet leveraged the fitness strength, coordination and competition that was still there. It was and is freeing.

I also loved the technology or lack thereof actually, more the craftsmanship of hand built frames and I spent a good bit of time lusting over these and a good number of dollars and patience pursuing them.

But as basketball, golf and wine collecting waned, cycling will also. I can already feel it receding. I’m not going to go all religious on you, but in my worldview the human heart was not built for things, but for God.

I remember with such clarity being at a wedding reception 9 or so years ago. I had been out for a century around the Asheville area and was feeling good. And then it hit me, that at some point I would have to give this up, old age, injury etc. and I was immediately depressed, I couldn’t imagine life without it. Now I can, easily.

I'm really not sure if reading this makes me happy that you have found whatever it was that you were looking/not looking for. Or sad to see someone leave a sport that brought us together.
Either way, I hope it works out for you in the long run.

I'm not sure that came out right, and I hope you understand. B/c when I read it it doesn't sound as great as it did when I thought it out!

Seramount
07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I have ridden a bike my entire life. it was my source of freedom as a kid...jump on it first thing in the morning and not come home until dark.

was seriously into basketball for 25 years...not great at it, but I could hold my own in most friendly pickup games.

was a high-mileage runner for quite a while, but coupled with the abuse from the hoops, knees don't last forever...had to bail on both of them.

tried golf...the enjoyment derived never quite matched the amount of time and money required. had some good times with the bros, but often came home grumpy...never really progressed past the 'hack' status...after seven years, I quit.

have been diving for 35 years...the last 9 have been spent working on cave exploration projects. serious stuff, major equipment requirements, ridiculous logistics involved for some sites. I still enjoy the challenges it offers, but sometimes I wonder if the allure is starting to wane ever so slightly...the thrill of spending 4 hours underwater or diving to 400 feet to see 'wet rocks' is not what it once was.

but, even after 45 years of riding, the bike hardly ever fails to inspire me...I see it leaned up against the wall and I instinctively want to saddle up and go out for a spin...today is supposed to be a day off, but I'm already thinking of sneaking in a quick ride thru the neighborhood...

just a couple of miles, ya know...nothing big.

maybe it's a sickness.

chengher87
07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Well...I just started riding again after years off the bike (college, grad school, yada yada). I recently talk to some old friends (think grade school) that I hadn't seen since graduating junior high and we talked about some of the old days (not quite as old as some of you here on the forum). And I realized that the two things that made me such a happy smiling kid (before realizing the world is a hell-hole filled with bills to pay for everything) were playing the recorder in the marching band (first instrument for most kids) and riding my crummy fixie huffy that was passed down by my three older siblings. So within the last year, I've joined an orchestra and bought a bike. I gotta say, it's been the two best decisions I've made in a long time.

bluesea
07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
No. Cycling is about fitness and the toys/tools needed to do so. The Ocean's powers of life and death makes it the only mistress I care about.

Exonerv
07-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Sounds like I'm in the right place...

I've been relating to the reflective tone this topic has taken. It's been interesting to learn where we have been, and currently are in life as seen through the lens of our activities and interests...cycling included.

As far back as I can recall, I've always had something in my life I was passionate/obsessed about/with. As a child of the 60's, it wasn't always about healthy pursuits.

I golfed twice at age 18 and it gave me an appreciation for what a terribly difficult and frustrating sport it could be. I liken it to learning to play a musical instrument with your entire body, performing with fluidity and without letting your head get in the way. I knew right away I'd never get it.

Got into road biking around the same time and loved it. Switched to more trail riding when the kids came along...and then in my 30's I focused on establishing a business and worked my tail off trying to provide for 4 sons. Bikes hung from the rafters, barely ridden at all.

I've had some tremendous experiences fly fishing...from Florida tarpon to Alaskan steelhead. From an equipment standpoint, I think I've spent more on cycling, but when you factor in the travel/guides/equipment fly fishing adds up pretty quickly. I still enjoy both, but I particularly love the walk out the door immediacy of cycling. These days, I'm riding with a son or two and managing to keep up.

Now at 52, with my wife and I having lost both sets of parents over the past couple years, I can understand SamIAm's sentiments as well. I haven't evolved to the point where I'm content with the idea of letting it all go, but I'm starting to accept that reality. I'm encouraged to read about folks in their 70's/80's still continuing to ride. It seems that once a certain level of mobility is gone...most of the fun of this life is over. I hope to stay active and hold onto the fun for as long as possible.

Mike

witcombusa
07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
My dad is still skiing and cycling @ 90.

I'm just getting warmed up :banana:

bluesea
07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
This island used to one of my regular spots for spearfishing (3 times a year). On the right side of the island you can see the ocean swells being angled right a few degrees. On the left end where its shallow--major wrap around swell.

Takes about 45min to swim out, with one nice reef to check out halfway, at about 40-50' depth. The backside of the island (Tiger country) starts off at around 50' and drops off right away.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5460/9073619132_996223889c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9073619132/)
IMG_0717 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9073619132/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

Bikerist
07-08-2013, 06:01 PM
If road biking is your "ultimate" passion you need to get out more.

It's great, don't get me wrong but it pales in comparison with almost any water sport (fishing, surfing, kayaking) and any thing that involves being in the woods (hiking, mtbing, hunting, atv, etc.).

It is what it is, but it aint all that.

It is just so much more accessible than almost anything else.

john903
07-08-2013, 06:50 PM
I started cycling seriously around 14 when I realized there was a whole wide world to explore when the side walk ends. I remember the day actually, my family was watching another boring football game and I just wanted to be outside doing something not sitting on the couch. So after much pestering my mom (as only a teenager can) said in a irritated mom voice "oh just go for a ride then." Which I did, and came back 3 hours later after riding to a lake and going swimming. So yes Bicycling has always held a sweet spot in my heart. Now as others have said any water sport is fun mine would be sailing on San Francisco bay running downwind with the spiniker up, yahoo, and of course hiking out in the woods. So cycling as a mistress, no more of a great life long friend who is ready to go out and play anytime.
Have a great day

aramis
07-08-2013, 08:53 PM

It's great, don't get me wrong but it pales in comparison with almost any water sport (fishing, surfing, kayaking) and any thing that involves being in the woods (hiking, mtbing, hunting, atv, etc.).

Sorry I'd choose road cycling any day over water or woods and I don't need to get out more.

It's just more fun.. like riding a street motorcycle but not as dangerous. It's smooth, quick, efficient and riding with a big group is a great feeling and has a nice social aspect to it too.

I hate the water and you couldn't get me to hunt or go out on an atv (I thought those were for people that don't know how to ride motorcycles) if you paid me.

Different people have different interests. I don't tell people that are into reading books or walking or whatever that they need to get out more. Especially not on the reading or walking forums.

don compton
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I previously posted and just wanted add another example about enjoying the ride. My wife and I ride together 2-3 times a week. She used to be a very competitive tennis player( 100% fast twitch and hates hills). Wherever we go, we always bring our bikes. Next week we're going to Carmel for two nights and will do a 30ish mile ride including 17 mile drive. No hurries, no worries, except finding some good coffee.:)

bluesea
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Man, tell me about it. I was absolutely addicted to windsurfing at one time. First thing I did when I woke up was listen to NOAA and hope I heard those 3 magic words - "Small craft warnings".

Murph

That's when our Harbormasters put up one flag. No biggie, happens all the time. The other 3 magic words: Gale force warning--when they put up two flags. Thats when the hardcore OC1 and Surf Ski paddlers go out for the downhill runs. On days like that you'd see maybe 1-3 windsurfers outside Diamond Head.

pdmtong
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I have had a few "nuclear" days at the gorge...50mph+ and liquid smoke as the spray vaporizes off the crests. it is pretty intense and I would not do that in the open ocean in case I had an equipment failure. if you are a video gamer used to level 6 now you are suddenly playing at level 20 - things happen a lot faster. duh. it's fun, but actually more fun in the 35-40mph range. there you have the opportunity to set things up and do them instead of feeling like you are on a runaway train being rag-dolled.

my take on all this water and dirt/dh/mtb lust...it is also about access. SF Bay is probably the only consistent high wind spot in the usa where you can also have a normal job. of course mtb was born here. so lucky me, I get to do these things. if I was land locked in iowa then yeah, maybe road biking is my mistress. but here, i have alternatives. fyi: I am not picking on iowa...that was just the first flat spot I could think of.

someone said it well before...what makes cycling great is access. you can do it anytime in any weather. so enjoy the ride...whats not to like?

bluesea
07-09-2013, 12:16 AM
One of my great adventures was a day when it was gusting over 40. I loss my $3600 surfski 3.25 miles offshore in a side/offshore breeze with major ocean swells in the same direction. Took 45min. till I could see my progress, and tell I'd be able to make it back to shore. It was pretty serene out there alone in the otherwise rough water for the next 3 hr.

Ordered a new Epic surfski the next day, but was psychologically pretty sketchy for a couple of weeks.

Yeah this is Hawaii, with its Polynesian ocean knowledge and traditions. I do love cycling, but its the Ocean that touches my soul.

firerescuefin
07-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Great call regarding access.

I can be out the door on my bike and in the foothills in minutes. Back in 60-120 minutes and I am happy as a clam...even with 3 kids I can pull this off on a regular basis.

pdmtong
07-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Great call regarding access.

I can be out the door on my bike and in the foothills in minutes. Back in 60-120 minutes and I am happy as a clam...even with 3 kids I can pull this off on a regular basis.

this is exactly it. I started road cycling more when my daughter arrived. she takes a 90 minute nap - I leave from my house go hard and back in time when she wakes up.

no driving to the put in, no driving to the trail. fortunately here I can do a 25/2500 in a bit over 2 hours...so that's enough to feel accomplished but not take away from family time.

three kids? chapeau. not economically feasible for me here.

Tandem Rider
07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
this is exactly it. I started road cycling more when my daughter arrived. she takes a 90 minute nap - I leave from my house go hard and back in time when she wakes up.

no driving to the put in, no driving to the trail. fortunately here I can do a 25/2500 in a bit over 2 hours...so that's enough to feel accomplished but not take away from family time.

three kids? chapeau. not economically feasible for me here.

I noticed the same thing when my oldest took an intrest in Mtn Biking. Now we drive 20 min to and from the trail. That was one of the things that kept me on the road, warm up started as I rolled up the driveway, real riding started as I cleared the traffic. 2hr ride took 2hrs, a 2 hr Mtn bike ride takes almost 3hrs. My only get out of jail free card is he's with me.

laupsi
07-09-2013, 07:44 AM
can't describe that mind/body connection while out on my bike. have played a myriad of other sports and nothing comes close and it's not a new found pleasure either. to say mistress is somewhat of a disservice. I would say more like a life long love affair. cheers :)

sparky33
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
...can't remember the last time I had a bad day on the bike (psychologically/ good experience/happy)

I am getting my 5 and 3 year old into golf. My five year old loves it...and I enjoy the time with him, and find myself enjoying swinging the sticks again.....but it just doesn't scratch the itch for me like cycling does.

....anyone else?

Riding is more like a faithful dog than a mistress. I can always count on a bike ride to make things right (and my dog is that way too). I wonder if my wife would call it a mistress or not?

For better or for worse, the rest of life is a crap shoot.

firerescuefin
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
can't describe that mind/body connection while out on my bike. have played a myriad of other sports and nothing comes close and it's not a new found pleasure either. to say mistress is somewhat of a disservice. I would say more like a life long love affair. cheers :)

Completely agree
...hence the mistress....I married:)

PQJ
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM

Isn't that like saying purple is better than orange because?

Keith A
07-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Great discussion and I thought I'd share too. I was fortunate enough to grow up when kids could just go outside and play until dinner time and of course that meant riding bikes too. I was hooked early on and I can still remember the freedom I felt when I got my first "road" bike (Schwinn Varsity), all of a sudden there was this whole world to explore and my bike was the vehicle to get me there. I would spend hours looking over the Schwinn catalogs and reading the specs on their bikes.

I continued to ride my bike and it was often my transportation to school until I hit high school and discovered surfing. It took a while before surfing was fun as there is a bit of a learning curve, but I was hooked and still am. I still love riding and all things related to bikes, but there is nothing quite like dropping down a clean head high wave and seeing a long line in front of you. Along with surfing came skateboarding, but my body has felt the abuse that comes along with this sport (the ground is much harder than water) and I have it to thank for destroying my ACL.

Riding came back into my life as transportation during college, and I was still intrigued by cycling and starting watching the TdF during this time. As I prepared to graduate, I realized that I would no longer need a bike anymore, but I still wanted to ride. So I traded in my 5-speed beach cruiser and my wife bought me a real road bike for graduation, which was a Trek 560.

Over the years, my riding has taken a back burner at times such as when our kids were little and the demands of work and home kept me off the bike. I've done some road racing and enjoyed that too, but it takes a large time commitment for training and racing. Several years ago, I started commuting to work by bike and I love it. It is great to combine the enjoyment of riding with the practicality of getting somewhere rather than just riding just for the sake of riding.

I still skateboard (but on longboards) and enjoy hiking, snorkeling, rock climbing, wakeboarding, volleyball and some ping pong too. As much as I enjoy all aspects of cycling, I must say that for me, a good in the ocean wins out over the best day on a bike. However, I'm not sure what I would do if I was forced to choose one or the other.

DonH
07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Bikes and motorcycles are definitely my mistress. I'm fortunate enough to have decent trails to ride to from my house.
These days spending time with my kids is my top priority, but I still have to get out and ride once or twice a week or I turn into a total idiot.
I really need to commute to work on the road bike more.

laupsi
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Completely agree
...hence the mistress....I married:)

understood

gasman
07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm currently in a hostel in Ashland, Ore., with 10 others who are all younger than my son, preparing to take the two-week pro mechanics course starting tomorrow at UBI.

Cycling has been my avocation but will, when I return, become my vocation as I plunge headlong into the world of retail managing. No turning back now. I left newspapering in the rear-view mirror, like others of you on this forum, and am starting my second career.

This is going to be fun.

I'd be interested in what you think about UBI. I have considered taking their course since they are only a couple hours south of me but I don't have an unbiased review from someone-yet.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2013, 07:15 AM

This is going to be fun.

I've said it before and now again..keep your sense of humor. Retail is a hard job. It's a labor of 'like' for sure.

Elefantino
07-10-2013, 07:39 AM
I'd be interested in what you think about UBI. I have considered taking their course since they are only a couple hours south of me but I don't have an unbiased review from someone-yet.
After two days, thumbs up. So far hub rebuilds and wheel building. Good teaching method, IMNSHO.

gasman
07-10-2013, 10:50 AM
After two days, thumbs up. So far hub rebuilds and wheel building. Good teaching method, IMNSHO.

Good to hear. Let us know what your opinion is after you finish.
Two weeks can allow you to cover a lot of territory.