PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuild dilemma

KidWok
07-07-2013, 02:44 AM
Just picked up a Pinarello Galileo on local CL. It came with an almost new 10 spd Chorus group and a set of practically unused 36h Record hubs laced to Mavic Reflex tubular rims.

Even though the rims show virtually no wear, they were clearly likely laced up by an inexperienced wheel builder. One spoke is completely loose and the valve stem hole is in the wrong spot. I am trying to figure out how to deal with this.

The first option is to just completely rebuild with new spokes and rims...I'm not a huge guy so I would probably just get Open Pros.

The other option is to try and save the spokes by swapping in a clincher rim with similar ERD. Not many of those around these days...I found an NOS set of polished Mavic Module E2's on eBay. MA 40's would be an exact ERD swap, but I can't find a set of rims. Best I could do it seems is buy an excellent condition set of wheels just for the sake of pulling off the rims, which actually seem to be available at less than cost of the NOS E2's.

Suggestions?

Tai

cogclog
07-07-2013, 05:55 AM
If the build was done poorly you can't be sure that the spoke length was correct in the first place (which may be why the spokes are coming loose). I would play it safe and replace spokes as well (unless budget is a major concern).

oldpotatoe
07-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Just picked up a Pinarello Galileo on local CL. It came with an almost new 10 spd Chorus group and a set of practically unused 36h Record hubs laced to Mavic Reflex tubular rims.

Even though the rims show virtually no wear, they were clearly likely laced up by an inexperienced wheel builder. One spoke is completely loose and the valve stem hole is in the wrong spot. I am trying to figure out how to deal with this.

The first option is to just completely rebuild with new spokes and rims...I'm not a huge guy so I would probably just get Open Pros.

The other option is to try and save the spokes by swapping in a clincher rim with similar ERD. Not many of those around these days...I found an NOS set of polished Mavic Module E2's on eBay. MA 40's would be an exact ERD swap, but I can't find a set of rims. Best I could do it seems is buy an excellent condition set of wheels just for the sake of pulling off the rims, which actually seem to be available at less than cost of the NOS E2's.

Suggestions?

Tai

Save the hubs, find,new, decent rims, rebuild with new spokes. Reflex tubies are like 614 ERD or something? (don't have my book here)..lotsa tubies re too but most modern clinchers are like 10mm less.

DT
Velocity
H+Son

Peter P.
07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
So the rims show no wear, you've made no mention of the spokes being the wrong length, and you aren't complaining that the rims are tubulars-what's the problem? Sounds like merely a build issue to me.

Reuse EVERYTHING and just re-lace the wheel using the same spokes, placing the valve stem where it should be.

ultraman6970
07-07-2013, 09:52 AM
If you know how to build wheels to fix that is relatively easy, just lose all the spokes, remove from the rim at lest a half of them starting with the ones around the valve hole and fix the crossing. Will take like an hour maybe less to get that tight.

Second option, lose all the spokes, do not fix the problem in valve that is pretty much a detail, true the wheel again and use the wheel as it is.

3rd option, get new rims around the same erd and pass the spokes one by one to the new rim. You have to tup the new rim at the side and move spoke by spoke, that way you dont have to take everything apart, like 30 mins of work.

4th option... use the wheel as it is with tubulars as god says a bike must be ridden.

JAGI410
07-07-2013, 10:04 AM
New rims and spokes, reuse hubs. Spokes are dirt cheap from danscomp if cost is an issue, and you can sell the current tubular rims to offset the cost of new rims.

Gummee
07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
If H+Son makes em in a 36 drilling, the TB-14s should lace right in.

You get the classic box-section rim with the wider aspect that is en vogue today. Should be a win-win.

HTH

M

KidWok
07-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I had contemplated using them as is, but figured I was in it for a minimum of a rear wheel rebuild. At which point, I might as well just build them the way I prefer. I've never actually used tubulars before and had initially been excited about starting. Was reading through all the tubular related posts (and decided NOT to post a "should I ride tubulars or clinchers?" thread) and felt like I would probably end up treating them as Sunday wheels. After rebuild, new tires, and investing in all the stuff needed to glue, it seemed too much trouble to net a set of wheels I would not want to use more often.

Was not aware of the TB 14's...ERD is only off by 3mm so I suspect the rims should tape and swap out nicely. I think I'll probably go that route. H Plus Son's site shows 36h available. The black ano ones would look really nice. This is going on the Colnago Oval Master with all black Record Ti 10 spd group.

:banana: <---training my 5 year old son to use the forum...his first banana.
:banana: <---little bro had to add one too...

Tai