PDA

View Full Version : review: giordana gloves and booties

Climb01742
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
i HATE riding inside, so in most any weather, i'm out. i've tried lots of winter gloves and booties. lots of 'em work ok above freezing. but get into the teens and twenties, and none that i've tried helped very much.

until now. today it was 25, with enough wind to drop the wind-chill into the teens. it was my first ride using giordana tenax booties and gloves. slipping the booties on, i was skeptical. they are surprisingly thin. i equated bulk to warmth. wrong. these are the toastiest booties i've ever worn. i rode for a hour today, and not until the last 5 minutes was there even the slightest tingle in my toes. usually, the first 15 minutes of a sub-freezing ride are harsh until my body warms up; then the next 30-45 minutes are ok as my body is warm; then the final 15 are miserable again as my body loses heat. not with the tenax booties. i was toasty from minute one. same with the gloves. they are slightly bulky (vs my previous favs, ice climbing gloves from EMS, which are very dexterous.) but they are as warm as can be. again, not a single moment of cold tingles in my fingertips--not at the beginning or end of the ride. both the booties and the gloves have wind-stopping material in them. it must work, because these giordana things work. two very toasty thumbs (and toes) up! as a bonus, they aren't pricey. check 'em out:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=634&CATEGORY.ID=304&MODE=

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=580&CATEGORY.ID=131&MODE=

jerk
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
nice review.
the jerk agrees. the giordana stuff is great.

jerk

Spicoli
12-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Climb try this if you have not already. If it is just painful outside, get yourself some toe covers too and then but your booties on. This has been aces for me over the past couple winters and you dont even feel them unlike big ol neoprene boots. So, wool socks, then shoes, now toe covers (you know like the kind you would use in the fall) and cover it up with some windtex booties.
BTW, 99% of my gear is Giordana and I love it but it seems not too many people are carrying it around me anymore. Luckily my hook up has it but it seems as though Giordana is staying away from online dealers? I know some still do but it seems like it used to be more?

Hysbrian
12-17-2005, 01:58 PM
There are also new foot warmers that are an insert that goes in like a footbed.
They're awesome. At first I thought that they weren't doing anything but then I noticed that my feet we not getting cold until the end of a 3hr ride. I used them this cross season when we had races at were cold but not wet.
Find them here (http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=FW10&pkey=Products%7cWarmers%7cFoot+Warmers+(10+pairs)&pval=0%7c1%7cFW10&pIds=Showcase%7cCategoryID%7citemid)

Spicoli
12-17-2005, 02:06 PM
There are also new foot warmers that are an insert that goes in like a footbed.
They're awesome. At first I thought that they weren't doing anything but then I noticed that my feet we not getting cold until the end of a 3hr ride. I used them this cross season when we had races at were cold but not wet.
Find them here (http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=FW10&pkey=Products%7cWarmers%7cFoot+Warmers+(10+pairs)&pval=0%7c1%7cFW10&pIds=Showcase%7cCategoryID%7citemid)
Oh yeah, a buddy of mine gets the small pocket size ones and puts them on the tops of his feet in his shoes and the get all that blood passing over the top of your foot. I never tried it but he swears by it. It the same company that you mentioned but just a smaller glove size warmer. Skill and knowhow I suppose. Now there is no reason my feet should ever get cold again? :banana:

ashwinearl
12-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Supposedly there was a review of these hand warmers by better home and gardens or someone like that. They gave the Grabber brand the highest rating. They make specific toe warmers that are smaller I think and designed to work better when inside shoes.

You can find them locally at wallymart and online at usually 1$-2$ a pair rated for 4hrs. Usually sold in bulk online. More expensive ones are rated for 24 hrs.

I read somewhere that if your ride is shorter than what the warmers are rated for that you can save them for later by putting them in a ziploc bag and then a tupperware container. Basically anything air tight. The warmth is created by an oxidative process and if you cut off the oxygen than the chemical reaction is stopped.

It's probably better to put them on top of the foot or between the shoe and bootie than under the insole, as there might not be enough oxygen to get the reaction going its best.

I'll be testing these out soon and have also thought about those battery operated warming socks. I've got some circulation problem or something cause I've tried winter shoes, thicks socks, liner socks, booties, etc. Still get really cold feet. Hell even indoors while watching tv they are freezing.

PeterW
12-19-2005, 09:58 AM
nice review.
the jerk agrees. the giordana stuff is great.

jerk

On Jerk's rec. I bought some Giordana tenax shorts this summer. Really liked them. Went back for another pair this week, and Competitive Cyclist told me that the company that makes the tenax material has gone out of business. They have some shorts still in stock, but unclear about what comes next.

Jerk, any more info?

cpg
12-19-2005, 11:30 AM
It's great to hear that you're out there Climb. "Riding" inside does suck. Nice review.

Curt

Climb01742
12-19-2005, 02:49 PM
curt, living where you do, how do you keep warm while riding outside?

cpg
12-20-2005, 12:53 PM
A lot depends of temperature and road conditions. In general, when the road dept. starts salting the road, the good bike comes off the road and the single speed comes out. Salt just kills drivetrains. 20 degrees and above, I ride with wool socks and neoprene shoe covers. The rest is easy. Just think layers. When things get snowy which usually coincides with colder temps all vanity is lost. I switch out the pedals to platforms with toe clips. The bike shoes get replaced with light hiking boots. Tights are replaced with wool paints. Riding shorts are worn underneath. At 10 degrees or lower, gloves are replaced with mittens and a full face balaclava replaces the thin wool hat under my helmet. Below 20 degrees the rides don't exceed 1 hour but are ridden with high cadences.

I know the idea of switching out to lower tech equipment and clothing can be a deal breaker for some cyclists. We've (myself included) grown accustomed to "needing" the most advanced equipment available to maximise speed, efficiency and enjoyment. I've found that in MN where the winters are long, that I can't stay off the bike that long. My fitness suffers and more importantly so does my sanity. The offseason switch to low tech has been liberating. I roll into the season in good shape physically and mentally refreshed. Please don't take this as an arguement about low vs. high tech. This is just what has worked for me and I encourage everyone to give it a try. Staying mentally refreshed has an amazing impact on your cycling. The goal for me is to stay on the bike as long as possible. I've never suffered from burn out but I see this as a preemptive strike against that. For me, it's about striking balance and this work for me.

Curt

sg8357
12-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi, Curt.

First the stem on the blue & white bike e-richie posted is gorgeous.

What are you using for tires ?
What would be a good 32mm or smaller snow tire ?

Around here buying snow tires is sympathetic magic, prevents
snow for the whole season.

Scott G.

Climb01742
12-20-2005, 01:10 PM
curt, your approach sounds totally sensible. the mental aspect is why i have a tough time riding indoors. even an hour outside in frigid conditions does more for my mind that longer and harder inside does for my body. for me, being ON the bike over the winter is the triumph. what happens on the bike is less important. 60 minutes seems to be my limit, too. cracking the hour barrier in the teens and single digits is no small feat. but massachusetts cold can't match minnesota cold.

cpg
12-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi, Curt.

First the stem on the blue & white bike e-richie posted is gorgeous.

What are you using for tires ?
What would be a good 32mm or smaller snow tire ?

Around here buying snow tires is sympathetic magic, prevents
snow for the whole season.

Scott G.

Thanks. I run cross tires (30mm).

Curt