PDA

View Full Version : questions about riding in France??

AngryScientist
07-06-2013, 09:06 PM
a question for the euros here:

maybe too broad of a question, i admit, but - these stunning roads we see on the tour route, of course they are closed to vehicle traffic during the tour, is there much traffic on these back mountain pass roads ordinarily?? just curious.

if one were to go and ride many of the roads of the tour route, would they be a nice ride, or dangerous due to traffic? so many of the roads look crazy due to the steep drop offs and zero shoulder room etc??

miscellaneous ponderings on a saturday night

Hindmost
07-06-2013, 09:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

572cv
07-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Get you a more thoughtful post tomorrow, but the short answer is that drivers there are stunningly respectful of cyclists, and that these rides are some of the most glorious one could ever do.

velotel
07-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Never ridden in the Pyrenees but pretty sure the case will be as here in Alps. The only mountain roads with much traffic are going to be through roads, which are normally a route nationale, like the one over Lautaret from Grenoble to Briançon and on to Italy. And even that one normally, and especially during the week, doesn't have much traffic, and as has been stated already, french drivers are hugely respectful of cyclists. The small roads are lightly trafficked at the worst most of the time. The smaller the road, the less traffic you'll encounter. Actually during the summer what you'll find are other cyclists and lots of motorcycles and from time to time classic car clubs out for a spin. Certain roads here in the Alps are more popular than others. Galib, Croix de Fer, maybe Iseran, Cenis from the italian side, Petite St B, la Bonnet sometimes. In short, traffic is not a problem. I suspect that for someone from the states the density of traffic on the mountain roads here would be stunningly light, as in non-existent. Plus there are always other roads on other cols to ride with no one about.

robertt8883
07-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Sorry You need to move this thread to discussions Forum rules

Johnnyg
07-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Never a problem. You're on a bike in France, you're shown nothing but respect. Ride your bike, enjoy.

sg8357
07-07-2013, 10:25 AM
M. Michelin makes lovely maps that shows which road are scenic, have low traffic and how steep the climbs are.
The French are also very good are marking roads, so you always know you are on the D131 to Longwy.

France and Switzerland are the easiest countries to navigate for a cyclist.

maxn
07-07-2013, 01:25 PM
just my experience but I've never had a problem on narrow mountain roads with cars.

I've had my share of near misses with Sebastien Loeb wannabes and minivans on other roads however.

cnighbor1
07-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I rode both france and Germany riding along the rhine. and from either side you can ride up into the hills on each side the vogles are near comar
try crazyguyonabicycle.com and virtual alps for more data