PDA

View Full Version : Bibs without silicone leg grippers?

BobbyJones
07-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Can anyone suggest "pro level" bibs that do not have silicone leg grippers?

I'm starting to think I'm allergic.

Thanks in advance!

Louis
07-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Just flip the bottom inside out.

Uncle Jam's Army
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Craft, Gore, and Giordana, among many others.

rnhood
07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
The Sugoi RSE (2103 model) does not have them. I don't know that I like the "super spandex" band or not but, not silicon. Everything else about the new RSE first rate.

XJBaylor
07-06-2013, 07:57 PM
LG Equipe bibs have tons of compression and no "grippers." One of my favorite bibs, particularly considering they can often be found for little more than $100 on sale. The chamois is a little thick, but the "legs" are great.

nooneline
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Hincapie has models w/o leg grippers.

buldogge
07-06-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm a fan of the Capo bibs with the double lycra leg grippers.

Hammer also sells the Bergamo (Capo) bibs with their logo'ing for a good price.

Both use quality EIT pads.

-Mark in St. Louis

uncrx2003
07-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Best bibs period = De Soto 400

Lewis Moon
07-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Just bought a set of Pearl Izumi Elite LTD and they're great. I didn't know they didn't have grippers until they came. I put them on and was surprised at how much I liked them. I now think I'd rather not have grippers.

kramnnim
07-06-2013, 10:47 PM
What sort of reaction are you getting from the grippers? I've noticed some red/puffy marks, but they seem to be random.

Lewis Moon
07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
For me, I think I like the gripperless best because I have really long legs. I'm always adjusting gripper shorts.

rrudoff
07-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Giordana FormaRed Carbon don't have silicone, have some sort of grippy lycra like material that works quite well.

verticaldoug
07-07-2013, 04:36 AM
You might want to try bodyglide and rub it around you leg where the bib will grip. It might help prevent the irritation.

godfrey1112000
07-07-2013, 08:03 AM

The best

oldpotatoe
07-07-2013, 08:25 AM

??Period?

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
First year wearing their kit. I was skeptical when purchasing. Their upper end bib shorts with no grippers get a big thumbs up from me!

giverdada
07-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I got a bunch of these bibs on sale from chainlove back when it was whatever it was and they are the nicest bibs I've ever had. Haven't gotten any since, as they're going for about twice the price, but the Podium collection, named after a bunch of mountains, are super nice with a FIRM chamois and grippers that are kind of micro-woven into the bottom panel of the short so that they only activate as grippers when stretched around the thigh. Pretty sweet design, doesn't give me the irritation a silicone gripper does, and the wider contact area is comfortable. Mortirolo I think they're called. And Duran. Essentially the Castelli Free I think. Hope the irritation resolves!

N.

FuelForThought
07-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Have two pairs of Mondo Evo Bib shorts. No silicone leg gripper, just solid compression throughout. The pad is of medium thickness.

BobbyJones
07-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Lots of great feedback.

I'm spending ALOT of time in the saddle so any flaws in my go to Hincapies are really getting magnified. I don't think the heat is helping either.

I don't have a real reason to shave my legs anymore so I thought the red puffy marks were just hair irritation and previously tried the body glide route- no luck. The only thing that finally worked today ( out of desperation)
was a liberal application of diaper rash stuff. I used so much I think it acted as barrier. Not a good long term solution as the greasiness was the lesser of two evils.

Lots of good suggestions. I think I may try the desoto 400's. They're billed as just what I want- high mileage gear for consecutive days.

I've got plenty of single high mileage days under my belt but never consecutive ones. I never understood what all the hubbub was with chamois cream and one bib over the other, etc as I've never had a problem. I suppose I've been lucky.

Thanks for the suggestions.

neiltron
07-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Cheap silicone that's too sticky have turned many folks off from silicone grippers. I've worn bibs with gripper so strong that I developed a blister on a 3 hour ride...not fun

Quality silicone gripper has a soft handfeel and the right amount of grip. The best gripper comes from Italy and the added expense per garment isn't too much, but many manufacturers cheap out and use the crappy stuff...

If you think you have an allergy to silicone - you want bib shorts with compression bands instead to keep the bottom hem in place. They come in a number of widths and feel very similar to the fabric of the rest of the short.

BobbyJones
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Ummm... I think thats been established.

If you think you have an allergy to silicone - you want bib shorts with compression bands instead to keep the bottom hem in place. They come in a number of widths and feel very similar to the fabric of the rest of the short.

verticaldoug
07-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I was really hoping the bodyglide would solve the problem.

I've used the pactimo shorts on some long gravel rides and had no issues. The legs are really comfortable without the silicone.

The Desoto 400 mile shorts are also a good choice. Emilio Desoto is a regular poster on slowtwitch and very proud of his product. You get a money-back guarantee on the shorts. Give it a whirl. If you have some specific questions which aren't answered on his website, shoot him an email at emilio@desotosport.com

Douglas

BobbyJones
07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Desoto's Ordered. Fingers Crossed

I was really hoping the bodyglide would solve the problem.

I've used the pactimo shorts on some long gravel rides and had no issues. The legs are really comfortable without the silicone.

The Desoto 400 mile shorts are also a good choice. Emilio Desoto is a regular poster on slowtwitch and very proud of his product. You get a money-back guarantee on the shorts. Give it a whirl. If you have some specific questions which aren't answered on his website, shoot him an email at emilio@desotosport.com

Douglas

tv_vt
07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Louis Garneau NeoPower and Equipe - both have wide bands around lower leg with no silicone. Nice shorts.

daker13
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
First year wearing their kit. I was skeptical when purchasing. Their upper end bib shorts with no grippers get a big thumbs up from me!

More info? I'm intrigued; they look nice.

sohasm67
07-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Not pro level but Ibex bibs are nice. Without grippers

Monthly Payment
07-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Give Hincapie velocity bib shorts a try. They have this wide tight band at the bottom instead of silicone gripper. It took me a while to get used to it but I've been wearing them for 4 seasons now and its like a second skin. Allegedly, BMC wore them so it qualifies as pro level. Caveat: May only be available as custom but give them a call - they do direct to consumer sales and may have demos to sell.