PDA

View Full Version : Preventative tubular sealant

Ryun
07-06-2013, 12:09 PM
I have been riding more and more on tubulars but with the dirty bike lanes, I am always worried about minor punctures.
Has anyone installed Cafe Latex preventatively rather than on the road?
How does it affect the ride?
How long can it sit? I have multiple wheels that sit during the winter and Id hate to ruin a nice tubular

Any tips for install? I would assume you remove the valve core but beyond that I was just going to wing it

ultraman6970
07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I have used the tufo one and is not that bad but the problem is that the darn latex tend to get together and form a ball of latex inside and once is there pretty much the tubular dies.

So when you put that thing in just turn the wheel a lot so you get a nice and even coat of the latex inside.

Do it little by little, dont put the whole thing inside in one round because it will start forming balls inside.

Good luck.

dwb
07-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I have used Stan's sealant preventatively. It will coagulate if left stationary for a couple months. I may not be sensitive to this kind of thing, but as long as the sealant has not solidified, it does not change how the ride.

Regarding injecting the sealant, Stan's makes a nice kit with a syringe.

A1CKot
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Any tips for install? I would assume you remove the valve core but beyond that I was just going to wing it

I used a baby medicine syringe from a drug store. Some of them fit perfectly but if not you can just shave it down until it fits inside the valve. Cheaper and easier to find than the Stans thingy.

firerescuefin
07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I used a baby medicine syringe from a drug store. Some of them fit perfectly but if not you can just shave it down until it fits inside the valve. Cheaper and easier to find than the Stans thingy.

This....also works great for servicing speedplay zeros (Phillips head grease port)

tuscanyswe
07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
A shop nearby filled up a tubular with some stans.

It was impossible to puncture even with needles. I musta whacked that tire 20 times a cm in with quite a thick needle to, still it did not loose air.

Did not ride the tire so cant say if it severly changed the ride or somtin. They said they had less than a dl in there.

fogrider
07-08-2013, 01:36 AM
A shop nearby filled up a tubular with some stans.

It was impossible to puncture even with needles. I musta whacked that tire 20 times a cm in with quite a thick needle to, still it did not loose air.

Did not ride the tire so cant say if it severly changed the ride or somtin. They said they had less than a dl in there.

I've only used the tufo sealant, and not on latex tubes. I was riding well up to the golden gate bridge with two guys on my wheel. all of a sudden, I hear the sound of rushing air...I was sure it was my rear tire...which was a tufo tire that I installed a few months earlier with sealant. at that moment, I did not remember that I had installed the sealant and was hoping I could get to a good spot to pull over without these guys running into me. but then the sound stops...then I remember the sealant.

but the tire was only good for about 95 psi.

c-record
07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I've used most sealant types in tubies-always on my CX bikes. Cafe Latex, Hutchinson, Tufo and Stan's. Stan's has ended up being my favorite. Easiest to use and it's worked through lots of CX races where we have thorns etc. I use it prophylactically on my road tubies as well.

Z3c
07-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Ryun,

I have been installing sealant in my tubies when new for about 10 years; it seems to help.. I can't comment on ride affect as I always do it. I don't recall thinking there was a notable difference when I started doing it. I seems that Stan's works better but no real facts. Here in dry Az, Caffe Latex dries up faster and gums up the valves. Stan's just seems to dry up. Might not be an issue for you in FL. I use a syringe like thing called a canula(sp?) which, I think, is used to inject into IV lines. It has a semi-sharp pointed plastic end that is not a metal needle and has a much larger hole than a needle. I think you can buy them at a pharmacy since they are not for human injection..

pakora
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I've used most sealant types in tubies-always on my CX bikes. Cafe Latex, Hutchinson, Tufo and Stan's. Stan's has ended up being my favorite. Easiest to use and it's worked through lots of CX races where we have thorns etc. I use it prophylactically on my road tubies as well.

I misread this post and have to ask anyway: Does anyone prophylactically use Stan's in clincher tires?

I just got some fancy, thin and supple tires and they're THIN.

My teammate favored Cafe Latex for his race tires, but in cross every brand seems to be equally popular (maybe a slight edge to Stan's).

c-record
07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I misread this post and have to ask anyway: Does anyone prophylactically use Stan's in clincher tires?

I just got some fancy, thin and supple tires and they're THIN.

My teammate favored Cafe Latex for his race tires, but in cross every brand seems to be equally popular (maybe a slight edge to Stan's).

Yes, I have done so in my clincher tubes on my SS CX bike and the occassional mountain bike if I haven't converted it to tubeless for whatever reason.

c-record
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Use valves with removable cores. For tubes the Q tubes have removable cores as well.

redir
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Like others have mentioned I have had issues with CL drying up and ruining a nice set of tires. It does work though but I only use it now to fix flats rather than for prevention. It's probably ok if you intend on riding the tubulars a lot though so that the tire wears out before there is any issue with a drying clump but if you store them away for any period of time like over the winter then it will be a problem.

Rob1519
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I carry a 2oz bottle of Stan's and a core removal tool. I find that my tubulars rarely flat hence prophylactic use of sealant is unwarranted. Many riders use sealant as a preventative measure, I just prefer not to introduce the stuff unless needed.

Rob