PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S4 owners, how to carry on bike?

swPArider
07-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Looking for a good way to carry my Samsung Galaxy S4 while road riding. Most bar mount options seem like they are made for the iphones. I've seen some top tube bags that have a clear top so you can still see your screen. That seems like the way to go, what are you guys using?

kramnnim
07-05-2013, 11:54 PM
http://uabike.com/assets/images/article/news/ipad-handlebar-mount/ipad_case_horizontal.jpg

:p

I was looking at those top tube bags...seems like most/all of them aren't big enough for the current big phones...and you're likely to hit your knees on them.

chuckred
07-06-2013, 01:03 AM
And jersey pocket (road) or in camelback.

OtayBW
07-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Jersey picket, ziplock bag - for emergencies only. I have zero interest in seeing my screen while riding. Just my thing....:cool:

Black Dog
07-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Leave it at home or put it in your jersey. Enjoy the new and enhanced HD 3D called the outside world. :) :banana:

oldpotatoe
07-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Leave it at home or put it in your jersey. Enjoy the new and enhanced HD 3D called the outside world. :) :banana:

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!!

I guess for 'rando-ing' around in places unknown a big cellie looking at you from the handlebars 'might' be worthwhile, kinda like those old 2 dimensional GPS things onto a handlebar bag under some plastic(ya know a 'map'), but for riding around, even in unfamiliar places, most of the fun is riding to see where ya go, asking the 'local's, where...fun. Turn by turn via electronics?? No thanks, not onna bike, IMHO.

n_maher
07-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Jersey picket, ziplock bag - for emergencies only. I have zero interest in seeing my screen while riding. Just my thing....:cool:

This. Or in the seat bag on the rare times it'll actually fit in there.

shovelhd
07-06-2013, 11:16 AM
This. Or in the seat bag on the rare times it'll actually fit in there.

Then how is he going to know that he is the KOM of the ride without Strava in front of him?

Louis
07-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Not being an i-phone / smart phone user, you guys will have to enlighten me: do folks really need full-time, real-time access to the Internets even WHILE cycling?

OK, perhaps this is piling on, but I agree with the posts above - ride the bike and leave the connected world behind at least for a little while. I agree that there are some benefits to having a real-time map, and if you really want to push it, weather radar if you live in an area with fast-moving thunderstorms, but even then, your jersey pocket should work fine.

R3awak3n
07-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Not being an i-phone / smart phone user, you guys will have to enlighten me: do folks really need full-time, real-time access to the Internets even WHILE cycling?

OK, perhaps this is piling on, but I agree with the posts above - ride the bike and leave the connected world behind at least for a little while. I agree that there are some benefits to having a real-time map, and if you really want to push it, weather radar if you live in an area with fast-moving thunderstorms, but even then, your jersey pocket should work fine.

I think he probably wants to use it as a GPS on the bike, maybe even as a speedometer.

He should just get an edge 800/810 and keep the phone in the jersey pocket. Smartphones dont work well on bikes. Too big, bad batteries, not rain proof.

Peter B
07-06-2013, 05:50 PM
<snip>
Enjoy the new and enhanced HD 3D called the outside world. :) :banana:

What's the url for that app download?

saab2000
07-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Burley Trailer. Or a porteur bike. Sometimes I have my following car with properly aged tubulars carry my cell phone. Bluetooth connection to my earpiece. So I know when to attack my riding buddies.

Black Dog
07-06-2013, 06:37 PM
What's the url for that app download?

www.reality.com (http://i.qkme.me/3v20q8.jpg)

4Rings6Stars
07-06-2013, 06:43 PM

I've done some touring / exploring around New England and there were times I would have loved to have a GPS device in front of me. A real PITA to get out and check the map every 20 minutes. My iphone (which I keep in a zip lock bag in my jersey) has saved me a few times when I was hopelessly lost.

I don't think many of us are posting on the forum or tweeting from the saddle...

Gatorfreak
07-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I have the S3. It goes in ziploc bag in my jersey. Garmin 800 in front of me for navigation.

Louis
07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
I've done some touring / exploring around New England and there were times I would have loved to have a GPS device in front of me.

I can see how this would sometimes be useful. However, 99.99% of my rides are on familiar roads, so IMO the need for GPS is not a common thing. And even for roads that are not familiar, I'll just print out a map and stick it in a zip-lock bag in my jersey pocket. As with so much else in life, you do what works for you.

Peter B
07-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Way back in the stone age they taught us the basics of orienteering. Imagine, I've self-navigated all over the western US and on several continents (gasp) without an internet connection!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering

4Rings6Stars
07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Way back in the stone age they taught us the basics of orienteering. Imagine, I've self-navigated all over the western US and on several continents (gasp) without an internet connection!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering

I'm all set. I'm sure you had a blast though...

Gsinill
07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Quad Lock is planning on introducing a case for the S4 http://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/products/products/quad-lock-samsung-galaxy-s4-case that will work with their bike mount. I use their iPhone case with that mount on all my bikes and really like it. Not sure how long before they come out with the one for the S4 but you can reach out and check.

Cheers
GS

oldpotatoe
07-07-2013, 08:10 AM

You would be surprised. I have had bikes come to me for service where there is a forest of computer mount thingys on the handlebars. Most is 4...

I passed a gent not long ago with a great big GPS thing on his handlebars...I was in Boulder..so I asked 'jokingly', 'so where are we'..very seriously, he started with the lat/long, I said I was kidding...

oldpotatoe
07-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Burley Trailer. Or a porteur bike. Sometimes I have my following car with properly aged tubulars carry my cell phone. Bluetooth connection to my earpiece. So I know when to attack my riding buddies.

Don't forget this!!
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/recon-cycling-display.html

or this
http://www.cyclelicio.us/2009/09/bike-helmet-heads-up-display.html

oldpotatoe
07-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I've done some touring / exploring around New England and there were times I would have loved to have a GPS device in front of me. A real PITA to get out and check the map every 20 minutes. My iphone (which I keep in a zip lock bag in my jersey) has saved me a few times when I was hopelessly lost.

I don't think many of us are posting on the forum or tweeting from the saddle...

OK, last one and I'll stop piling on...Exploring New England...not in Wyoming or Arizona..probably houses in sight, most/all of the time...Not serious, really if ya get lost.

Riding for fun, yes? Not in a hurry I'm-a guessing...'saved'??Hopeless?

OK. I'll stop.

93legendti
07-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Looking for a good way to carry my Samsung Galaxy S4 while road riding. Most bar mount options seem like they are made for the iphones. I've seen some top tube bags that have a clear top so you can still see your screen. That seems like the way to go, what are you guys using?

Have you checked Topeak's offerings?

I love a thread where a forumite with a low post count asks a question and, rather than offering a helpful, responsive suggestion, or keeping quiet, a select few mock the OP.
Nice community.

IFRider
07-07-2013, 09:32 AM
I agree with most, smart phone is better tucked away. Too big on bars, poor battery life. The Topeak mount is small enough to be unobtrusive and if I do need it out for short bit of navigation it work well. The case is waterproof I I keep it in my jersey, seat bag most rides. I use the smart phone off road when exploring new trails. The google earth view is great for figuring out where trails lead.

OtayBW
07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
...rather than offering a helpful, responsive suggestion, or keeping quiet, a select few mock the OP.
Nice community.
Definitely something to keep in mind....:cool:

Black Dog
07-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Have you checked Topeak's offerings?

I love a thread where a forumite with a low post count asks a question and, rather than offering a helpful, responsive suggestion, or keeping quiet, a select few mock the OP.
Nice community.

Don't be so harsh. No one was being mean. People were offering an alternative solution and a bit of perspective on the broader issue of having advanced electronics mounted on the cockpit of a bike. No one meant any harm and a bit of tongue in cheek should not be construed for hostility. Oh and by the way, why should we all keep quiet if we feel there is a broader philosophical issue that the OP's query broaches? If I personally came off as being mean or hostile then I will own that and I do apologize.

Louis
07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I love a thread where a forumite with a low post count asks a question

The OP might not be a frequent poster, but (s)he's been a member for over two years. I think that's probably long enough for him to realize that we are glad to share opinions that may not specifically address the original question.

scrubadub
07-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Just to offer a different perspective, I'm a long time user of Garmins and just stick my phone in my jersey pocket.

But recently I've actually considered mounting my phone to my handlebars. Why? Because I'm starting to ride (and run) more often while on call. I often don't hear my pager or phone go off in my pocket even with vibration and I absolutely can't miss a call. I end up being paranoid and pulling out my phone to check. Having the phone in front of me would relieve one mental stressor.

I'm definitely watching stuff like the RFLKT which could serve as a surrogate screen but so far none of the apps seem to forward text messages to the screen.

cat6
07-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Llewellyn
07-07-2013, 05:50 PM
I can snap a picture of <snipped> a rattlesnake and upload it or send it to someone instantly, or save it for later.

:eek: :eek:

You're braver than I am

cat6
07-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

jr59
07-07-2013, 06:27 PM
i fixed it for you :)

rattlesnake was just an example, i probably should have just said wildlife. here's a picture of a baby i came across last month, taken with my "smart phone".

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/lukerulz/3387ED9E-AF1C-4DAA-BB53-9A83AEFC97FB-14937-000007A5FA5CDED8_zpsa3cfeefd.jpg

Luke, Please remind me NOT to ride with you! :p

19wisconsin64
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
i have the s3, about the same size. i put it in a thick (freezer) ziplock bag, then in my back pocket if i'm going slow....for a fast ride it can easily pop out if you go over a big bump, so hopefully one of your rear pockets has a zippered area large enough to put this in...in the ziplock bag.

4Rings6Stars
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
OK, last one and I'll stop piling on...Exploring New England...not in Wyoming or Arizona..probably houses in sight, most/all of the time...Not serious, really if ya get lost.

Riding for fun, yes? Not in a hurry I'm-a guessing...'saved'??Hopeless?

OK. I'll stop.

Do you go exploring on your bike for reasons other than fun? I guess you would have to take the bike off the wall display for that.

I do most of my real riding (read: not commuting) in north central and western MA...not exactly a bustling metropolis. The first time my phone "saved" me while riding was when I got lost in a state forest (a big one) for hours and literally climbed a tree to get cell phone service, and then with the map was able to shoulder the bike for two miles through dense woods and get to a road where my sister could pick me (and a buddy) up...in the dark. The other time was while touring in northern Vermont. Lots of places to get lost up there with no houses for a long distance...

So I probably wouldn't have died...but my time was made much more enjoyable because of the GPS / map equipped phone.

Peter B
07-10-2013, 11:04 PM
<snip>

So I probably wouldn't have died...but my time was made much more enjoyable because of the GPS / map equipped phone.

What happens in a similar circumstance when your battery is drained? Or there is no cell or GPS signal?

I like my electronics and have used them on the bike. But wherever 'personal safety' is or may be at stake I choose to rely on a good old printed map and basic orienteering skills.

I am reminded of a story I read about a couple out hiking with their new electronics--GPS & cell phone. They got lost somewhere in the woods but were fortunately able to call for help and provide their precise location. They knew *exactly* where they were, but had no idea where that was.

Good thing the battery was charged and they had a cell signal.

Back OT, if the OP's still with us, here are three links I found with a variety of S4 handlebar mounts:

http://tinyurl.com/lgxs429

http://tinyurl.com/n6frhk4

http://tinyurl.com/lx6vnal

4Rings6Stars
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
nevermind.

Peter B
07-10-2013, 11:45 PM
I guess I would have died, alone and miserable in the woods, wishing I learned orienteering as a god-fearing boy scout... Seriously though, I would never set off for a hike into the unknown with nothing but a half-charged cell phone and zero idea how to navigate without it. This is some pretty serious and comical thread drifting.

I will just add that you don't need cell reception (on most phones / devices...some don't have cached maps) to use the GPS feature and save for the financial district in Boston, I have yet to find a place on this planet that doesn't get GPS / satellite reception.

Sorry for the thread drift...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hey I'm not trying to personalize this by <snip> quoting your post nor disparaging the OP's question or the use of gadgets in general. Just injecting some objective balance in context for interested readers who enjoy their electronics and are contemplating bolting another device to their handlebars. Tools are terrific, but fundamentally only as good as one's knowledge of how to use them. And to get by without them.

We can get lost in our gadgets to the omission of our surroundings. Look around on the streets/subways/etc. at all the folks watching their screens. Look at us now.

Maybe we can talk about this more on a ride together sometime? :beer:

Louis
07-11-2013, 01:24 AM
We can get lost in our gadgets to the omission of our surroundings. Look around on the streets/subways/etc. at all the folks watching their screens. Look at us now.

Just ask the pilots of Asiana flight 214 about this. :(

Gsinill
07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Just came across this: http://www.handleband.com.

cat6
08-26-2013, 03:16 PM

data-san
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
There's some new phones like the droid maxx which advertise 36 hours of battery life.