PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain noise

Shiversolitude
07-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a Charge Plug Grinder Single Speed (single not fixed) that I like to commute with. From almost day one when I got it there is a noise coming from the drive train. It only happens when I pedal... and I cannot figure out what it is or where its coming from. Theres a slight knocking/ crunching sound when I pedal. Doesn't do it when I cruise, only when pedaling. Its about the same when under load, or when just light pedaling.

Ive looked the chain and cogs over and see nothing amiss. I took off the cranks, and the BB re installed everything, made sure it was clean etc. Swapped pedals, took apart the rear hub and re installed... .still making the noise.

Any suggestions would be stellar.

Gat64
07-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Single speeds tend to have sensitivities to chains and chain line. I have had the same issues when using 1/8" chains and when switching to an 8sp chain the noise disappears.

Ken Robb
07-05-2013, 10:44 PM
yep, it sounds like a slight misalignment of the chainline. Deraileurs allow a little side to side play but a single speed has to be perfectly aligned doesn't it?

tylerbick
07-05-2013, 10:50 PM
You could also have your chain too tight... if it is, there is too much pressure on the freewheel or freehub body bearings. You don't have to make it taught, just snug enough to where the loose spot isn't so loose that it would fall off if you hit some bumpy pavement.