PDA

View Full Version : HELP with 6700 shifting oddity?!

spartanKid
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
I was replacing the cables on my 6700 levers and I've run into an oddity.

After unbolting the FD and removing the cable, I tried shifting the levers up and down, only to have the lever take up cable slack, but when I press the small lever, the mechanism doesn't "release" cable, it just swings free with out any clicks.

I've tried putting a cable in and applying some tension to see if that fixes it and it doesn't.

Any ideas? Is there some rule about not shifting 6700 levers without cables that I've broken unknowingly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

rando
07-05-2013, 10:09 PM
For your sake I hope it is still within the two year warranty period. Mine did the same thing only while I was riding.

Shifted into the little ring and couldn't get out of it so rode it home. Futzed with it and eventually it made a disturbing noise and shifted to the big ring where it stayed for the next 3 months until late Fall when I took it in for warranty.

It is due to one of a few issues they have which you shouldn't worry about because it can't be fixed without parts they won't sell you. Just be glad it isn't the rear shifter so you can continue to ride with a wider range of gears if you so wish.

Good luck and sorry to hear you repeated my failure.

spartanKid
07-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Hmm the shifters didn't make any funny noises, nor were there any mis-shifts before trying to replace the cable.....I hope this doesn't need warranty-ing!

tylerbick
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM
There is a small pivoting metal arm that actuates the ratcheting pawl that is connected to the shift lever, and there is a weak spot at a bend in the arm that I've seen break a few times on Dura Ace 7900 and Ultegra 6700 shifters. If the shifter isn't very old, like a previous poster mentioned, you could have your LBS try and talk to Shimano to see if they'd warranty it, otherwise you'll just have to buy a new shifter. Sorry for the bad news.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2013, 07:30 AM
I was replacing the cables on my 6700 levers and I've run into an oddity.

After unbolting the FD and removing the cable, I tried shifting the levers up and down, only to have the lever take up cable slack, but when I press the small lever, the mechanism doesn't "release" cable, it just swings free with out any clicks.

I've tried putting a cable in and applying some tension to see if that fixes it and it doesn't.

Any ideas? Is there some rule about not shifting 6700 levers without cables that I've broken unknowingly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 year warranty(maybe 3??)..and shimano is pretty good about this. LBS with a shimano account..they will probably send on now, and then send the broken one back..at least that's what they do for us.

I have an orphan LH lever, 6700 if out of warranty.