PDA

View Full Version : Installing carbon bits

kgreene10
07-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Quick question about carbon bits. I have a new carbon post and a new carbon railed saddle. I was under the impression that I should use carbon assembly compound/paste but a salesperson waived me off and said that it isn't needed unless I experience slippage.

Is there a universally accepted correct way to do this?

mktng
07-05-2013, 01:17 PM
carbon post to carbon (frame). use paste/carbon compound

carbon post to alu frame.. should be fine with regular lube.

*im not a pro mech though.. this is just what i do.

Likes2ridefar
07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Quick question about carbon bits. I have a new carbon post and a new carbon railed saddle. I was under the impression that I should use carbon assembly compound/paste but a salesperson waived me off and said that it isn't needed unless I experience slippage.

Personally I think it's better safe than sorry. One slip will put a nice scratch on your fancy carbon part.

cfox
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
The only reason not to use it is the rare circumstance where you seatpost is a very tight fit into the frame. Other than that, there is no reason not to use it. I use it on the post, the saddle rails, front derailleur clamp, stem clamp and handle bar clamp. Grease everywhere else. I don't like dry-fit parts; invitation to creakville.

kgreene10
07-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Sensible consensus is that I should use it. Next question -- FSA and others sell an infinitesimal packet for about $7 and Park Tool has a "carbon and aluminum assembly compound" tube for about $10. Is the latter basically the same as the former?

avalonracing
07-05-2013, 02:47 PM
The only reason not to use it is the rare circumstance where you seatpost is a very tight fit into the frame. Other than that, there is no reason not to use it. I use it on the post, the saddle rails, front derailleur clamp, stem clamp and handle bar clamp. Grease everywhere else. I don't like dry-fit parts; invitation to creakville.

Good advice. I don't like Creakville and will not put up with a bike that wants to spend any time there.

shovelhd
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I use the Finish Line stuff. There's no secret formulation, it's just grease with grit in it.

I read your original question as asking whether you should use carbon paste between the clamps of your seatpost and the carbon rails on your saddle. I don't.

eippo1
07-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Wait, are you asking if you should use the carbon paste for the seat post to frame connection or the saddle to seatpost? If it's saddle to seatpost, then I really can't see it slipping since the forces on it won't be in that direction. Plus most rails have a scuffy texture anyway.
If you mean post to bike, then absolutely use carbon paste. It will help a bunch.

UberBike
07-06-2013, 12:48 AM
If its a matte finish and fits pretty snugly you should not need fiber paste.
If its high gloss or seems to fit slightly loose such as FSA seatposts/stems then use the paste.

Its always good to know your measurements before you use the paste. After the paste is used, your nice new part will look like you went at it with sand paper after a few adjustments. Especially seat posts.

Black Dog
07-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Carbon Paste. Use it; you can then use less torque to get the same results and the chance of harming a carbon bit goes way down. It also will eliminate creaks as others here have said. Grease, on the other hand, is not a good idea. It will require more torque to hold the part in place and that can mean damage.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Don't use it with the seatpost and then figure out how to get a frozen SP outta frame..that's no fun.

Use it where carbon touches carbon, good idea..the sales person needs to stay on the tile.

dwb
07-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I just got a tube of the Park compound (SAC-2) and used it for my steerer tube and stem. It seems to work fine and make a lot more sense economically than the packets.