PDA

View Full Version : eBay shipping

toaster
12-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Bought a new crankset from seller in New Jersey, shipping charge was not disclosed in listing and now that auction is over he wants $20 to ship to California.

That's reasonable for a wheelset or frame or item over 10lbs, but a crankset?

What about determining shipping rate after the auction? Is it a way to ask for more money if the item goes for less than expected?

shaq-d
12-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Bought a new crankset from seller in New Jersey, shipping charge was not disclosed in listing and now that auction is over he wants $20 to ship to California.

That's reasonable for a wheelset or frame or item over 10lbs, but a crankset?

What about determining shipping rate after the auction? Is it a way to ask for more money if the item goes for less than expected?

crankset is pretty heavy. if he's supplying the box/etc. it can cost up to $20....

sd

dave thompson
12-17-2005, 07:39 AM
crankset is pretty heavy. if he's supplying the box/etc. it can cost up to $20....

sd
Some folks, particularly businesses, factor in their time and the cost of the packing materials in addtition to the actual shipping costs. Right now standing in line just waiting to be served atUSPS, FedEx or UPS can be brutal and take a very long time.

mls
12-17-2005, 07:46 AM
thats alot imo and it should be listed if
he is going to charge more than what
ups or whoever charges to ship

csm
12-17-2005, 07:51 AM
did you get a good deal on the cranks? $20 sounds close to what a mailorder house would charge. maybe a little more.

hypnos
12-17-2005, 08:02 AM
IMO, shipping charges should be disclosed in the auction desciption. I will not bid on items with undetermined or exorbitant shipping costs.

cinelli
12-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Always, Always, Always find out what the shipping charges are PRIOR to bidding. Although the $20. fee is not that unreasonable, it could have been much worse. If you cannot determine the shipping costs before auction end, do not bid.

Blastinbob
12-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Yes it could have been much worse. Ask before you buy. It is shipping and handling, not just shipping cost. A crankset should fit in a USPS flat rate box, just under $8. Fedex and UPS is going to cost him around $8 to $12 depending on how far plus his time to package and drop off, if he has to buy a box he could be screwed, then paypal will take a percentage...2.9% + .30c of the shipping fee you paid him, gas in his car, wear and tear on said vehicle, car insurance, life insurance, health insurance, eye glasses (so he can see when he drives) new driving gloves (it's been damn cold out you know). etc...etc... can you tell i'm self employed?

dave thompson
12-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Yes it could have been much worse. Ask before you buy. It is shipping and handling, not just shipping cost. A crankset should fit in a USPS flat rate box, just under $8. Fedex and UPS is going to cost him around $8 to $12 depending on how far plus his time to package and drop off, if he has to buy a box he could be screwed, then paypal will take a percentage...2.9% + .30c of the shipping fee you paid him, gas in his car, wear and tear on said vehicle, car insurance, life insurance, health insurance, eye glasses (so he can see when he drives) new driving gloves (it's been damn cold out you know). etc...etc... can you tell i'm self employed?
Bob: Remind me never to have you ship me an exhaust system! :D

Kevin
12-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Bob: Remind me never to have you ship me an exhaust system! :D

Dave,

It could be worse, imagine if you purchased a wheelset and it was shipped one spoke at a time. :D

Kevin

Blastinbob
12-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Bob: Remind me never to have you ship me an exhaust system! :D Oh Dave, I sometimes lose money on shipping my exhaust kits. $28.00 anywhere in the Con/US 23lbs in a 33x18x7.5 in box. But with the recent fedex hike it will go up a little, very soon.

blastinbob, addicted ebayer!

alancw3
12-17-2005, 10:55 AM
when shipping charges are not specified i always ask seller what they would be and save the reply. then you can argue if the buyer has excessive charges.

CT Rider
12-17-2005, 11:22 AM
when shipping charges are not specified i always ask seller what they would be and save the reply. then you can argue if the buyer has excessive charges.

Also have the seller be specific on WHICH shipping service he is using!

It could be worse, imagine if you purchased a wheelset and it was shipped one spoke at a time.

I used Buy It Now to purchase a set of Campy wheels on eBAY almost 2 weeks ago. Before I bid I emailed the seller and asked the shipping costs. His response was $19 using Fed Ex Ground. I used the BIN & won. I am STILL waiting fro the wheels to arrive. First, the seller waited 6 days before dropping the wheels off for shipment. Second, he didn't use FedEx Ground, he used FedEx Home. The wheels have been sitting in the local FedEx Facility now since Wednesday and FedEx Home has made no attempt to deliver the wheels, in fact they have never left the warehouse since they arrived. If you call FedEx they refuse to intervene on behalf of FedEx Home so I am unable to even contact them! If you don't know FedEx Home is a "franchised oppurtunity". The drivers buy their routes and are not employees of FedEx.

Last year I had a $1500 guitar shipped by FedEx Home. For 3 days the package was shipped back and forth between 2 FedEx facilities in Connecticut. I finally found someone to talk to at the local FedEx faciity (I had to get up at 3:00AM to talk to the supervisor). They finally held the package and I drove 40 miles round trip to pick it up. FAT chance I will repeat that trip for these wheels.

Blastinbob
12-17-2005, 12:03 PM
You can get your money back from fedex, start complaining. They have a prompt shipment policy.

Ken Robb
12-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I paid $44 for UPS to ship my well-packed Ksyriums to a guy in S Carolina from San Diego. I too had figured about $25 but the box was oversize. They did arrive in good shape. A couple of years ago I received a set of wheels "packed" in a single thin- thickness carton and the freehub was sticking out the side. I refused the shipment, the seller had the hub checked and resent the wheels in a sturdier box.

CT Rider
12-17-2005, 12:45 PM
You can get your money back from fedex, start complaining. They have a prompt shipment policy.

I would, but unfortunately there is no one to complain to! If you're lucky enought to talk to an actual person at FedEx they wil tell FedEx Home is not really under their jurisdiction...they are independent contractors. There is no contact info for FedEx Home - only FedEx Express (Air) and normal FedEx Ground.

Blastinbob
12-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Here is a link to the guarantee, Fedex Home is included. (http://www.fedex.com/us/services/shipinfo/mbg.html) I would, but unfortunately there is no one to complain to! If you're lucky enought to talk to an actual person at FedEx they wil tell FedEx Home is not really under their jurisdiction...they are independent contractors. There is no contact info for FedEx Home - only FedEx Express (Air) and normal FedEx Ground.

BumbleBeeDave
12-17-2005, 01:44 PM
. . . is all that out of line if you do factor in the packaging, shipping cost, going down to UPS, etc. But I do keep in mind that sometimes sellers try to use the “shipping” cost to also cover their eBay and PayPal fees. I try to look at these things on a case-by-case basis, but lately when I’ve gone to send something UPS the costs really did surprise me, especially if you are sending something in a larger box.

BBDave

CT Rider
12-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Here is a link to the guarantee, Fedex Home is included.

Blastinbob,

If you read the guarantee, the money is reimbursed to the shipper, not the receiver. After my dealings with the eBAY seller I doubt he would want to help one bit. The last email he responded to indicated I was on my own, now he just doesn't reply at all.

Blastinbob
12-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear the seller is an a$$. I know the shipper is the one that gets the money back, I have had to reimburse one of my customers before for the same reason your shipment was delayed.

toaster
12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
The seller in this case seems like a good person and is fair. I got an e-mail from him and he charges $20 shipping when items are won cheaply. I did win the item at a ridiculously low price so it's a deal anyway.

While I don't agree with his policy, I prefer complete details disclosed in the item description and using eBay's postage calculator, it makes sense to those who risk no reserve auctions that start at $1.

Just where the line is, is the question. How close to wholesale or retail does shipping revert to the going rate??

I'll never know. I bid when the $90 retail item had one bidder and was still at $1. I bid $15 and it rose to $5.50. No more bids and I won it. No regrets. :beer:

CNY rider
12-18-2005, 08:02 AM
The seller can charge whatever they want for shipping and handling. Call it recouping seller's fees, call it packing materials, call it whatever you like. I don't see how you can bid on an item without knowing the S&H fees. You need to integrate the S&H into the amount you are willing to bid.

93legendti
12-18-2005, 10:23 AM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/know-seller-tips.html

If the seller does not disclose shipping/handling fees in the auction description, I always nail down shipping fees before I bid.